PDA

View Full Version : Frank's Batting Stance

RKMeibalane
08-14-2003, 09:06 PM
I don't think anyone has commented on this recently, but based on the video tapes I have of Frank's at-bats this season, it looks like his current batting stance is a combination of the classic closed stance he has used for most of his career, and the open stance that he used during the 2000 season. Has anyone else noticed this?

LASOXFAN
08-14-2003, 09:20 PM
I was at the game in Anaheim last night and got there at 5:30, in time to watch the Sox take BP. I was really surprised at how much he's lifting the left leg to try and get his timing down. It's coming up much more than I've ever seen before. It used to be a small stride if anything. Seems to me like he's really, really trying to hammer the ball. The results speak for themselves.

Ordonez looked terrible. I've never seen anyone foul off so many balls during BP. He looks out of whack.

voodoochile
08-14-2003, 10:03 PM
Originally posted by RKMeibalane
I don't think anyone has commented on this recently, but based on the video tapes I have of Frank's at-bats this season, it looks like his current batting stance is a combination of the classic closed stance he has used for most of his career, and the open stance that he used during the 2000 season. Has anyone else noticed this?

Yes, I noticed it. It isn't as open. I think he is trying to find a stance that gives him the benefit of turning on the inside pitch, like the open one he was using in 2000 and earlier this year, yet still be able to drive the outside pitch to right. So far all he looks is confused...

duke of dorwood
08-14-2003, 10:51 PM
Nice time to be experimenting.

:hurt

I can tinker too

RKMeibalane
08-14-2003, 11:04 PM
Originally posted by duke of dorwood
Nice time to be experimenting.

I can tinker too

*TINKER* *TINKER* *TINKER*

The Sox organization is full of people who like to tinker, even though it usually doesn't work.

voodoochile
08-15-2003, 12:06 AM
Worked pretty well on that deep double off the RCF wall. This is something everyone wants Frank to do (hit to all fields like he used to) and he is trying to do it. Add in the fact that teams are starting to pitch him away and it was time to make an adjustment.

This first became a problem late in the 2000 season when he went to the open stance. Then Lou Pinella abused it in the playoffs throwing nothing but outer half stuff to Frank. Frank was just fine until he faced Lou again this season and Lou did it too him again. Now every team is trying to stay outside on him and Frank was forced to adjust.

RKMeibalane
08-15-2003, 02:20 PM
Originally posted by voodoochile
Worked pretty well on that deep double off the RCF wall. This is something everyone wants Frank to do (hit to all fields like he used to) and he is trying to do it. Add in the fact that teams are starting to pitch him away and it was time to make an adjustment.

This first became a problem late in the 2000 season when he went to the open stance. Then Lou Pinella abused it in the playoffs throwing nothing but outer half stuff to Frank. Frank was just fine until he faced Lou again this season and Lou did it too him again. Now every team is trying to stay outside on him and Frank was forced to adjust.

If I were him, I would just move a few steps closer to the plate. If teams try to come inside, he can start hammering pitches on inner-half of the plate.

kevingrt
08-15-2003, 03:39 PM
Put him at 1B that will help more then a new batting stance, I think... it will keep him from thinking about a different batting stance.