PDA

View Full Version : Trying To Figure Out Something Bout Rowand

kevingrt
08-14-2003, 03:12 PM
Should he get more playing time instead of Carl Everett or put Everett at DH and give Frank a rest?

I really like Rowand's defensive abilites, and his bat has been pretty hot ever since the ScRuBs series. I really want to see him out there more, and get some other OF's some rest. I know we're in big games now, but I would luve to see Rowand play more.

doublem23
08-14-2003, 03:16 PM
We got Everett so we can place Rowand on the bench where he belongs. He's nice because he has the versatility (what a horrid, horrid word) to play all three OF positions well, but his bat is too big an anchor.

Why do I see Everett/Rowand turning into the next Valentin/Clayton?

WhiteSoxWinner
08-14-2003, 03:16 PM
Prior to the Everett trade, I never had a big problem with Rowand. The whole team came out with a batting slump and he was probably not 100% recovered from his accident in the off season. However, this team is fueled by offense, and Everett gives us the biggest bang for the buck. I would only take him out in the late innings with the lead for a defensive replacement.

If you put Everett at DH, where do we put Thomas and Konerko? Neither one really needs a rest. There are plenty of off days for that, and we need to wim every game at this point, so resting players for the post-season is pointless if were not in the post-season.

voodoochile
08-14-2003, 03:18 PM
People want to know why we posters who want less tinkering are constantly bringing up our points. This thread is example number 1 of why.

Rest Frank? How about playing him at first for a while and resting Paulie.

Rowand over Everett? Sure as a late inning defensive substitute exclusively.

Less tinkering, not more, please...

OEO Magglio
08-14-2003, 07:50 PM
versatility (what a horrid, horrid word)
Especially when JM is the manager.

RKMeibalane
08-14-2003, 07:53 PM
Originally posted by OEO Magglio
Especially when JM is the manager.

:jerry

"I'm thinking of putting Frank Thomas in centerfield tonight. What do you say to that, Sox fans?"

LASOXFAN
08-14-2003, 08:26 PM
I must be high or watching another team (or both), because I see Rowand as more effective in CF than Carl. I'm definitely in the minority on WSI. Carl has yet to flash the power and prowess of April/May or other years in the league. No way he would've made that catch or throw last night that kept us in the game. Anyone who argues that he would have is just kidding themselves.

voodoochile
08-14-2003, 09:05 PM
Originally posted by LASOXFAN
I must be high or watching another team (or both), because I see Rowand as more effective in CF than Carl. I'm definitely in the minority on WSI. Carl has yet to flash the power and prowess of April/May or other years in the league. No way he would've made that catch or throw last night that kept us in the game. Anyone who argues that he would have is just kidding themselves.

He made a very similar play just last week robbing someone of a homerun. I am pretty sure it was in the KC series.

RKMeibalane
08-14-2003, 09:07 PM
Originally posted by voodoochile
He made a very similar play just last week robbing someone of a homerun. I am pretty sure it was in the KC series.

Was it? I thought it was against Oakland.

PaleHoseGeorge
08-14-2003, 09:09 PM

You are correct, sir.

And while were busy ragging on Everett, claiming he is only an all-star caliber ballplayer for the first-half of the season, let's take a moment to remember we have $8 million tied up at first base for even less production. :angry:

VaSoxfan
08-14-2003, 10:40 PM
Why people keep bringing this up is beyond me. Rowand has very good skills as a fielder, nobody is doubting that. But his hitting stinks. Period. He was given plenty of at-bats last year, and despite getting to the plate over double from the year before, his average dropped 20 points and his HR and RBI production was about the same. This year his production is again minimal, and he was downright awful the start of the year. He has a grand total of 12 extra base hits so far this year.

Everett is consistent, a switch-hitter, brings reliable power and according to Hawk has been a great leader in the clubhouse. Right now there is no question who should play. The only way Rowand should get in games is as a defensive sub late. Until he starts hitting with more consistency and power, Everett should start.

D'Angelo F Death
08-15-2003, 09:35 AM
I don't know what Rowand you guys are looking at, but to my eyes, ever since he got called back up he's been great.

Um..numbers?

AVG/OBP/SLG
June: .375/.429/.719
July: .433/.438/.633
Aug: .333/.333/.583

That's a total of 74 at-bats with an avg of .392...
5 2B & 5 HR...which projected out to 600 AB would be 41 2B & 41 HR!

C'mon...Rowand's been great ever since the call-up, but can't get in the lineup unless the game's located near his high school.

kevingrt
08-15-2003, 09:47 AM
People want to know why we posters who want less tinkering are constantly bringing up our points. This thread is example number 1 of why.

Rest Frank? How about playing him at first for a while and resting Paulie.

Rowand over Everett? Sure as a late inning defensive substitute exclusively.

Less tinkering, not more, please...

Sorry I meant keeping Frank at 1B... but I have never had a problem with his tinkering of the line-up. That's me though