PDA

View Full Version : The Thing that most irritates me.

Dadawg_77
08-14-2003, 03:48 PM
I know about the thread (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=6) in the parking lot but this is more of Clubhouse material due to what irritates me.

The thing that most irritates me are Sox fans who are obsessed with how the cubs do. I live in the f'in shadow of that damn place with flubby fan roommate, and work with several talkative flubby fans. But as much as they talk, I could care less. Why are there several hot threads in clubhouse talking one about how they hate Wrigley, two how much Sosa sucks, three on how the Cubs fare. Come on people, the Sox are in a middle of a freakin divisional title race. Who cares what the Cubs do? The only thing that matters is if the Sox make it or not. And don't bring up this crap about oh the media won't care about the Sox if the Cubs make. Whoppity freakin doo, its all about whether the Sox win or lose follow by a close second on how the Twins and Royals do. Honestly why does it seem some Sox fans, esp those from the South Side, care more about whether the Cubs lose or win, then what the Sox do, it irritates way more then people who eat with their mouthes open.

Fisk72
08-14-2003, 03:54 PM
Originally posted by Dadawg_77
I know about the thread (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=6) in the parking lot but this is more of Clubhouse material due to what irritates me.

The thing that most irritates me are Sox fans who are obsessed with how the cubs do. I live in the f'in shadow of that damn place with flubby fan roommate, and work with several talkative flubby fans. But as much as they talk, I could care less. Why are there several hot threads in clubhouse talking one about how they hate Wrigley, two how much Sosa sucks, three on how the Cubs fare. Come on people, the Sox are in a middle of a freakin divisional title race. Who cares what the Cubs do? The only thing that matters is if the Sox make it or not. And don't bring up this crap about oh the media won't care about the Sox if the Cubs make. Whoppity freakin doo, its all about whether the Sox win or lose follow by a close second on how the Twins and Royals do. Honestly why does it seem some Sox fans, esp those from the South Side, care more about whether the Cubs lose or win, then what the Sox do, it irritates way more then people who eat with their mouthes open.

I wish I could see our guys playing with your fire and intensity. I completely agree with what you say; however, I think it's also good to have something else to focus on instead of having to dwell on how your team and manager sucks it up when the opportunity is right there to take advantage of 1st place. Plus, I believe the majority of us can say that hating the Scrubs is part of being a Sox fan.

Iwritecode
08-14-2003, 04:05 PM
I think this same basic post comes up at least once every couple of months around here. My response is always the same. We are Sox fans first, Cub haters second. Of course I'm going to root for the Sox to win every day they play. After that, I'm going to root for whoever the Twins and Royals are playing. Lastly, I'll check and see whether or not the sCrUBS won or lost. Not that I really care but it's nice to know how many pages of Cub fluff I'm going to have to turn past in the sports section to get to the Sox articles. Considering the local media, it's basically impossible to completely the team on the North side, so it's only natural for us to discuss them. I mean you can only discuss who the fifth starter should be, how much Manuel tinkers, whether or not the Royals are for real, etc... for so long. I'll bet the ratio of Sox related posts to Cub related posts around here is 100:3. It's usually pretty obvious which posts are which and they are easy to ignore if you don't want to read them...

Hangar18
08-14-2003, 04:09 PM
Yes....and the fact that I have TWO things to live for. Sox Victories and Cub Losses. I cant explain it, maybe if i lied down on a nice leather couch, and explained this to a professional, but Im just as Happy when the cubs lose. You can imagine how Great a Mood im in when a Sox Win and A Cub Loss happen to be on the same day? Lets just say Im a Buy-everyone-drinks-in-the-bar happy when this happens. (Im thinking it has something to do with the medias unrequited love for that team, which I found preposterous and unfair, so my actions are a mere backlash)

daveb816
08-14-2003, 04:17 PM
Excellent post, Dadawg. I think Viva Magglio and others were much happier last season when the Sox were out of it but just a few games under .500 while Cubs were out of it but WAY under .500.

The only time it might make sense to care as much or more about the Cubs result is when it's September, Sox are out of the race and Cubs are still in it - as in Sept. '98.

Dadawg_77
08-14-2003, 04:19 PM
Originally posted by Hangar18
Yes....and the fact that I have TWO things to live for. Sox Victories and Cub Losses. I cant explain it, maybe if i lied down on a nice leather couch, and explained this to a professional, but Im just as Happy when the cubs lose. You can imagine how Great a Mood im in when a Sox Win and A Cub Loss happen to be on the same day? Lets just say Im a Buy-everyone-drinks-in-the-bar happy when this happens. (Im thinking it has something to do with the medias unrequited love for that team, which I found preposterous and unfair, so my actions are a mere backlash)

Well hopefully it happen on Friday then.

Hangar18
08-14-2003, 04:23 PM
Well hopefully it happen on Friday then.

Yes,,,,,I promise to back my happiness claim up liquid-wise :gulp: :gulp:
(I knew someone was going to call me out on that heh heh )

voodoochile
08-14-2003, 04:26 PM
Originally posted by Hangar18
Yes,,,,,I promise to back my happiness claim up liquid-wise :gulp: :gulp:
(I knew someone was going to call me out on that heh heh )

I'll buy you a beer if it will help the happiness cause... :D: Heck, I hope to be happier myself... :gulp: :gulp:

Dadawg_77
08-14-2003, 04:27 PM
Originally posted by Iwritecode
I'll bet the ratio of Sox related posts to Cub related posts around here is 100:3. It's usually pretty obvious which posts are which and they are easy to ignore if you don't want to read them...

Here what I am seeing out of the 35 post on the front page of the clubhouse, 5.5 of them are cub related. Either people complaining the Cubs get to much attention or Wrigley sucks, or Sammy sucks. Why? I know people want to talk about other things besides how much JM sucks, JR sucks, Kenny is stupid, or OMG We need a big game from Garland, but there has to be something besides the hatred for the Cubs. How about classic Sox moments? or how to kill mice in your basement, it always good over in the lot. I don't know, I am just getting tired of reading how much the Cubs suck on the White Sox site.

JJAustin69
08-14-2003, 04:29 PM
Just watched Rick White cough up a few more runs to the Cubs. Theres a Cubs story for you with a little White Sox interest. Overall, I do relish Cub failure but that is just a pleasant sideshow to Sox success.

Lip Man 1
08-14-2003, 06:30 PM
Simple solution...the Sox get to a World Series before the Cubs...that makes the Cubs an afterthought among the media, and the fans who haven't really taken sides.

But until that happens Chicago is a Cubs town based in part on major mistakes from a PR standpoint by the Sox themselves.

Lip

Hangar18
08-14-2003, 06:54 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
Simple solution...the Sox get to a World Series before the Cubs...that makes the Cubs an afterthought among the media, and the fans who haven't really taken sides.

But until that happens Chicago is a Cubs town based in part on major mistakes from a PR standpoint by the Sox themselves.

Lip

Agreed. and I hope this management team realizes that PR blunders and other Foolish moves made by team (including ignoring the fact that the team 8 miles north is Indeed a Competitor for market share and Not to be not taken lightly after all these years) have put the Sox in a very precarious and dangerous situation. If the Fluke of all Flukes, that other team
gets to the world series (yeah, i know the odds are heavily against them) first, we can pretty much pack it all in. This team will find surviving in this town to be a bleak and miserable existence. The cubs have (thru blind luck) managed to garner
Heavy, UnRequited Media Love for themselves. Look at the reasons for the Demise of the many franchises that have been in the MLB before. Make no Mistake about it. The Media is a Weapon, a Mighty and Formidable one at that. Of all the things that could kill a franchise, an earthquake, a terrible tragedy, poor finances, dwindling market, a flood, fire from the heavens, who wouldve guessed that all it would take would be Media Ignorance run unchecked for 20 odd years.

Hangar18
08-14-2003, 06:58 PM
......that is Reason No. 12,239 on why I cant stand that franchise. A franchise thats accomplished absolutely NOTHING in the last 50 or so years, yet gets mentioned in the same breath as the storied New York Yankees, while My favorite team is Slighted all across the board from having a better record, better amenities, better fans ..... all Ignored in the grand scheme of things. That team represents all that is Wrong with Baseball .
And thats why I hate them

Lip Man 1
08-14-2003, 08:21 PM
Hanger:

You said it yourself.... the media is a powerful force.

Which is why the Sox attitude towards them is pure stupidity as well as bad business.

I'm sure Uncle Jerry doesn't relish the fact that he might have to (not literally! kiss Jay Mariotti's ass but Mariotti wields far more influence then Uncle Jerry ever will.

For the future of the franchise, like it or not, the Sox have got to stop treating the media as "the enemy" and start doing simple business practices like returning phone calls.

Here's a quote that will blow your mind. It's from Bob Logan's book "Miracle On 35th Street." page 154. Are you sitting down?

"After all, nobody can buy the kind of advertising Chicago teams get. What other line of work finds newspapers assigning people to follow you around and write about how the business is doing every day? When baseball teams get that for free, it makes sense to cooperate."-- Jerry Reinsdorf 1983.

Somebody want to tell me what happened to that attitude?

Lip

RKMeibalane
08-14-2003, 08:51 PM

:reinsy

"What happened? I'll tell you what happened! You people stopped showing up for games, and I lost money. Why should I be nice to people who won't put more money in my pocket? Why should I give a damn about people who won't show up at the 'Cell? Are you listening?

"And, by the way, I know everything! I am the master! Bow to me! Muhahahahahahaha!"

kermittheefrog
08-14-2003, 08:52 PM

Well said. I couldn't care less how wellt he Cubs do.

Dadawg_77
08-14-2003, 09:09 PM

Lip

What happen was the Tribune is media savvy (ns sherlock) and JR wasn't as much as them. Baseball is a business driven on marketing, and really marketing alone. JR has a real estate background which might not have prepared him to run a business based mostly on marketing.

TornLabrum
08-14-2003, 09:12 PM
What happen was the Tribune is media savvy (ns sherlock) and JR wasn't as much as them. Baseball is a business driven on marketing, and really marketing alone. JR has a real estate background which might not have prepared him to run a business based mostly on marketing.

On the other hand, Einhorn, with his background at CBS is. Since he's had his kidney transplant, Sox marketing seems to have improved. Coincidence?

cheeses_h_rice
08-14-2003, 09:23 PM

There's only so much you can discuss about the White Sox this year, IMO. I root for the Sox first and foremost, and rooting against whoever is the current division rival in the AL Central coming 2nd (e.g. Royals/Twins this year). How the Sox do is my main priority in baseball, period, and I doubt that anyone who posts here doesn't feel the same way. Where's your proof that anyone on this board cares more about Flubs' losses than Sox wins?

However, we do live in a 2-team town, and we do have to compete with the Baby Bears for the hearts and minds of the public and "on the fence" baseball fans in this city (and nationally). In my opinion, every day the Flubs are a mediocre or losing team while the Sox are hot is a true blessing. This year is a much different year than we're used to -- the Flubs are actually contending in the middle of August. As a result, the Flubbie game results do have an impact for us Sox fans. You may not care that the Sox are in danger of becoming relegated to the #2 story in this town, but I do care. As has been said here many a time, the day the Flubs win the World Series, the Sox might as well pack up and move the franchise out of state, because the Sox will cease to exist as a viable commodity in this town. The Sox absolutely need to win that Series before the Flubs.

gosox41
08-15-2003, 05:06 AM

Or on working with people. What's up with all this loyalty to JM and guys like Rob Gallas and Jerry Krause? They've shown degrees of incompetence for varying periods of time yet stil have jobs (until Krause retired for health reasons and even then JR said he's still bethe GM if healthy.)

Bob

hose
08-15-2003, 07:23 AM

At least I would hope members don't expose some deep hidden fear of the scrubs, keep it to yourself.

Get professional help :D: :D: :D:

hose
08-15-2003, 07:25 AM
:boston
"Sox fans should be contracted"

Jerko
08-15-2003, 09:56 AM
Obviously we as Sox fans should care more about our team winning than the Flubs losing, but hating your local rivals happens everywhere. Back in the day when the Raiders and Rams were both in LA, I went to the Coliseum for a Raider/Redskin game, and when the PA announcer announced that the Rams were losing, the place went nuts, even though the Rams are not even in the same division, let alone conference, as the Raiders. Even now Raiders/49ers and Giants/A's hate each other and they're also not even in the same conference/league. Even in hockey out in California you have Kings/Ducks playing home and home series and they have like a 'rivalry' fan deal if you go to both games or some promotion Wirtz would never agree to. But they hate each other too and that is HOCKEY in CALIFORNIA. Now, the Cubs are much much much more annoying than the Rams, Ducks, or Kings, so if people could hate those 3 teams I can understand why us Sox fans' hatred of the Cubs is 100 fold

Dan H
08-15-2003, 04:11 PM
What is wrong with hating the Cubs? Would anyone out there prefer that we like the Tribune Company, their ticket scalping and their dumb fans?

Dadawg_77
08-15-2003, 04:20 PM
Originally posted by Dan H
What is wrong with hating the Cubs? Would anyone out there prefer that we like the Tribune Company, their ticket scalping and their dumb fans?

My question isn't whether you like or dislike the Cubs, but why does dislike the Cubs drive your fandom? Someone touched on it since the Cubs are the Sox rivals, and you like to see your rivals go down. But if the Sox lose, whatever the Cubs do isn't go make me feel better about sports, the Sox still lost. I get the feeling from reading some posters that they would rather see the Cubs never get to the World Series then see the Sox get there.

cheeses_h_rice
08-15-2003, 04:53 PM
I get the feeling from reading some posters that they would rather see the Cubs never get to the World Series then see the Sox get there.

Fine, let these people think that way.

My question is, why do you let it bother you so much? 99% of the posters here value the Sox doing well over the Flubbies failing.

Viva Magglio
08-15-2003, 05:53 PM
Let me make it very clear that the White Sox winning ballgames is priority No. 1. However, we must always be cognizant of what the Cubs are doing. Because of the way we are treated in this town by non-Sox fans and the media, we have to maximize the amount of winning we to in order to garner positive media attention. When we are winning big, we cannot have the Cubs winning in similar fashion because the media will either still ignore us or give the Cubs' winning more attention than our winning.

It's bad enough that we lost three of four to the Anaheim Angels, a team that was 5-20 in the second half. We have gone from within a game of the division to 2 games back. Meanwhile, the Astros decided to suck and pull the Cubs to within a game of their division's lead coming into today. The latter is salt on the open wound. Now, the media is having Cubgasms left and right and writing us off as vermin at the same time.

I think Cubgasm is a term we should add to the WSI Dictionary and define it as "overexcitment over Cubs' success leading to the jumping to conclusions that they are going all the way."

In addition to all that, the Royals and Twins' refusal to roll over and play dead is making things go 180 degrees from the way we want them to go. I am fully aware that those two teams are the ones we need to worry about more than anyone else. Nevertheless, the Cubs are an integral part of our fortunes in this city. You bet the "Chicago League" is important to be because we have to dominate to get a shred of our fair share of positive media coverage in this city.

JJAustin69
08-15-2003, 05:56 PM
Cubgasm, good one. I second the motion to include it in the dictionary. I have been listening to Chimp have a virtual orgy of Cubgasms today as Prior pitched them into a first place tie (ugh).

LuvSox
08-15-2003, 05:58 PM
Originally posted by JJAustin69
Cubgasm, good one. I second the motion to include it in the dictionary.

I second that motion!

Dan H
08-15-2003, 06:04 PM
I have even tried to like the Cubs or not pay attention to them. I just think their tradition stinks. My main concern is for the Sox to get to the Series. My other main concern is that the Cubs never get there.