PDA

View Full Version : Questioning Scammin' Sammy

Fisk72
08-14-2003, 02:48 PM
All of the media has been amazed by Scammin Sammy and the homeruns he's put up since the corking incident. However, it pains me to see NOBODY question whether any of these homers are actually legit. I'm not up on the rules rules of the game, but could any manager ask to see the bat himself? I would assume not, since this could lead to the game stoppping every time the cheater gets a hit or homerun. I guess this goes to show that once you cheat, you're never looked at the same again.

MarqSox
08-14-2003, 02:51 PM
Originally posted by Fisk72
All of the media has been amazed by Scammin Sammy and the homeruns he's put up since the corking incident. However, it pains me to see NOBODY question whether any of these homers are actually legit. I'm not up on the rules rules of the game, but could any manager ask to see the bat himself? I would assume not, since this could lead to the game stoppping every time the cheater gets a hit or homerun. I guess this goes to show that once you cheat, you're never looked at the same again.

Managers are allowed one challenge per game. The main reason they don't is out of courtesy you basically only challenge if you're sure he's using an illegal bat. The other thing is, if you challenge and you're wrong, you can't challenge again that game, so then the guys pull out the real illegal stuff because they know they won't get busted (unless it breaks).

voodoochile
08-14-2003, 02:57 PM
I read somewhere (Phil Rogers?) that Selig has told teams NOT to challange Sham*-ME's bats. That was right after the incident. I have no idea if the policy is still in effect or not.

Vsahajpal
08-14-2003, 03:09 PM
Originally posted by voodoochile
I read somewhere (Phil Rogers?) that Selig has told teams NOT to challange Sham*-ME's bats. That was right after the incident. I have no idea if the policy is still in effect or not.

The Cubs played the DBacks a few weeks ago and Sosa's bat shattered. Steve Lyons (who now calls D-Back games) was going nuts, it was pretty funny. No cork though.

jabrch
08-14-2003, 03:14 PM

That would surprise me...if that ever leaked out, the public would go nuts.

That said, I don't think it is the cork...I do think Sammy looks a bit larger now than he did early in the season. Also, he a notoriously good hitter in August. Maybe he is stronger..maybe latino players hit better in the heat (Dusty?) Who knows...

I doubt he'd still be corking bats after the last time.

bobj4400
08-14-2003, 03:21 PM
Biggio just dropped a Sosa fly ball to Centerfield. Cubs have 2-0 lead w/ bases loaded in 3rd. Are the Astros trying to give this division away?

SoxxoS
08-14-2003, 03:22 PM
Originally posted by jabrch
That would surprise me...if that ever leaked out, the public would go nuts.

That said, I don't think it is the cork...I do think Sammy looks a bit larger now than he did early in the season. Also, he a notoriously good hitter in August. Maybe he is stronger..maybe latino players hit better in the heat (Dusty?) Who knows...

I doubt he'd still be corking bats after the last time.

Or maybe, he is back on steriods. Actually not maybe, definitely. The guy is bigger compared to the beginning of the season, IMO.

Fisk72
08-14-2003, 03:37 PM
Isn't it about time for another Rick Reilly article? :)

jabrch
08-14-2003, 05:26 PM
Originally posted by SoxxoS
Or maybe, he is back on steriods. Actually not maybe, definitely. The guy is bigger compared to the beginning of the season, IMO.

He looked bigger to me...maybe it is more weightlifing? Coincidentally a smaller Sammy wasn't hitting well up until Cork-Gate. I hate to say he is back on the juice cuz I have no evidence of that...

I still wish the Sox would have agreed to be steroid tested. Put some pressure on other clubs who have known steriod users/abusers.

RKMeibalane
08-14-2003, 05:30 PM
I still wish the Sox would have agreed to be steroid tested. Put some pressure on other clubs who have known steriod users/abusers.

The reason the Sox did not want to be tested was because they were trying to force MLB to make steroid testing manditory. That would have put more pressure on clubs with people who are cheating, IMO, because guys would have been forced to quit or be punished.

Hangar18
08-14-2003, 05:45 PM
He looked bigger to me...maybe it is more weightlifing? Coincidentally a smaller Sammy wasn't hitting well up until Cork-Gate. I hate to say he is back on the juice cuz I have no evidence of that...

I heard somewhere that right after Sammy was caught Cheating, the cubs were Randomly "tested" for steroid use. Which meant the team can no longer be tested again this season. I wonder if that gave Sammy (and other teams who are cheating also) the Green Light to bulk it up again ....... I dont think the League is allowed to mention whose been randomly tested already this yr.

voodoochile
08-14-2003, 05:48 PM
Originally posted by Hangar18
I heard somewhere that right after Sammy was caught Cheating, the cubs were Randomly "tested" for steroid use. Which meant the team can no longer be tested again this season. I wonder if that gave Sammy (and other teams who are cheating also) the Green Light to bulk it up again ....... I dont think the League is allowed to mention whose been randomly tested already this yr.

I am almost positive that the second round of testing was in June. Shortly thereafter certain slumping players started playing well again... not just Sham*-ME either... Things that make you go hmmmm....

FarWestChicago
08-14-2003, 05:51 PM
I am almost positive that the second round of testing was in June. Shortly thereafter certain slumping players started playing well again... not just Sham*-ME either... Things that make you go hmmmm.... :nandrolone

The fact I started hitting well one steroid cycle after I was asked to deprive the fans of pre-game entertainment is purely coincidental!!

PaleHoseGeorge
08-14-2003, 07:36 PM
Originally posted by FarWestChicago
:nandrolone
"The fact I started hitting well one steroid cycle after I was asked to deprive the fans of pre-game entertainment is purely coincidental!!"

:corker
"Hey! I got gypped!"

jabrch
08-14-2003, 08:08 PM
I am almost positive that the second round of testing was in June. Shortly thereafter certain slumping players started playing well again... not just Sham*-ME either... Things that make you go hmmmm....

Giambi heated up...Berkman started hitting...then again, so did Konerko and Maggs and neither of them seem to be roidmonsters...

voodoochile
08-14-2003, 10:36 PM
Giambi heated up...Berkman started hitting...then again, so did Konerko and Maggs and neither of them seem to be roidmonsters...

I've thought Paulie was juicing since the hip rumors started. Steroids are used to offset degenerative hip conditions.