PDA

View Full Version : Wills mentions WSI

daveb816
08-14-2003, 11:22 AM
He may have done this previously, but Dave Wills mentioned WSI several times near the beginning of the post-game show last night. Very positive comments about the site.

Lip Man 1
08-14-2003, 11:48 AM
That was nice of him. Any PR is good PR as far as I'm concerned.

Lip

kevingrt
08-14-2003, 03:08 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
That was nice of him. Any PR is good PR as far as I'm concerned.

Lip

I didn't hear him, but it sounds good!

VeeckAsInWreck
08-14-2003, 05:02 PM
I was listening to Dave Wills last night and he mentioned that he got the idea for last night's Sox trivia question by looking at WSI's Sox Uniform #'s. He mentioned the site about 5 times, so it was good publicity.

For those who didn't hear the question it was: Carlton Fisk wore #72 for the Sox, which is the highest number ever worn for a Sox player, but who wore the second highest which was #67?

The answer was Jim Kern, who if I am not mistaken looks like Billy Crystal's long lost twin bro!

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/attachment.php?s=&postid=215094

PaleHoseGeorge
08-14-2003, 06:16 PM
Kern was one ugly spud. Too bad he didn't stick around for the Winning Ugly season.

:bandance:

Lip Man 1
08-14-2003, 07:09 PM
Kern wasn't able to. The second game of the season in Texas he blew his elbow apart throwing a pitch.

Even up in the press box you could hear the cracking sound. The ball went all the way back to the screen. I was following the ball since I had never seen that wild a pitch and when I looked back to the mound Kern was clutching his arm in agony. Then the Sox staff started running out towards the mound.

In his prime with Texas he was one tough hombre. He was supposed to be the Sox closer but that injury ended his career.

Lip

Brian26
08-14-2003, 07:34 PM
Kern wasn't able to. The second game of the season in Texas he blew his elbow apart throwing a pitch.

Even up in the press box you could hear the cracking sound. The ball went all the way back to the screen. I was following the ball since I had never seen that wild a pitch and when I looked back to the mound Kern was clutching his arm in agony. Then the Sox staff started running out towards the mound.

In his prime with Texas he was one tough hombre. He was supposed to be the Sox closer but that injury ended his career.

Lip

This brings up an interesting question for that time period. There were 4 pitchers that never really saw the light of day on that 83 Sox staff, and I always wondered why. Kern, Sparky Lyle (did he retire after he '82 season?), Randy Martz and Steve Mura.

Any info on Martz and Mura? Martz was solid for the Cubs, and Mura had some good years with the Pads.

Lip Man 1
08-15-2003, 12:24 AM
Brian:

I believe Lyle retired although I'm not sure on that.

Martz was actually called up to start the make up rain out game in Detroit in mid August. The Sox won the game but Martz didn't get the decision. That was his only start of the season and he had won in double figures for the Cubs in 82.

Mura actually made the team out of spring training because Britt Burns was disabled. When Burns came back he was sent back down. He never started a single game for the Sox that season. Like Martz he won in double figures for the Cardinals in 82 and pitched in the World Series.

I guess it was just a situation that when the big five started rolling in late June there wasn't any opportunities for any of the other quality starters that Sox had assembled (They had seven guys on the staff who all were double figure winners at one time or another.)

The Sox even had Al Hrabosky in camp that spring!

Lip

steff
08-15-2003, 07:46 AM
Originally posted by daveb816
He may have done this previously, but Dave Wills mentioned WSI several times near the beginning of the post-game show last night. Very positive comments about the site.

He mentions Hal pretty often regarding events with the the WCSF. Dave is a super nice guy!

BTW Hal.. did you ever find out what happened to Kelly..?

TornLabrum
08-15-2003, 08:25 AM
Originally posted by steff3603
He mentions Hal pretty often regarding events with the the WCSF. Dave is a super nice guy!

BTW Hal.. did you ever find out what happened to Kelly..?

No, I haven't. If you hear anything, please let me know. I'd like to find a way to let him off the hook if possible in the next newsletter.

steff
08-15-2003, 12:57 PM
Originally posted by TornLabrum
No, I haven't. If you hear anything, please let me know. I'd like to find a way to let him off the hook if possible in the next newsletter.

I sent an email.. I'll let you know if I hear anything.

kevingrt
08-18-2003, 09:34 PM
Another mention of WSI, on White Sox postgame show. He stole a trivia question off it again.

Bucktown
08-18-2003, 09:38 PM
Brian:

I believe Lyle retired although I'm not sure on that.

Martz was actually called up to start the make up rain out game in Detroit in mid August. The Sox won the game but Martz didn't get the decision. That was his only start of the season and he had won in double figures for the Cubs in 82.

Mura actually made the team out of spring training because Britt Burns was disabled. When Burns came back he was sent back down. He never started a single game for the Sox that season. Like Martz he won in double figures for the Cardinals in 82 and pitched in the World Series.

I guess it was just a situation that when the big five started rolling in late June there wasn't any opportunities for any of the other quality starters that Sox had assembled (They had seven guys on the staff who all were double figure winners at one time or another.)

The Sox even had Al Hrabosky in camp that spring!

Lip
That was impressive.