PDA

View Full Version : Our Worst Nightmares Coming True!

Viva Magglio
08-13-2003, 11:49 PM
1. We lose and fall to 1˝ back because...
2. ...Yankees have to suck against the Royals
3. Cubs win (salt on open wound) beating the Astros and...
4. ...Cardinals lose keeping Cubs in contention.

We have to be the most tortered fandom on the planet.

MRKARNO
08-13-2003, 11:52 PM
Not everyday can be perfect. besides, the twins lost so it wasnt the worst possible scenario.

Boo hoo we fell 1.5 games back. As long as we're within striking distance of the Royals, it doesnt matter because we play 7 of the last 10 with them. I know the knee-jerk reaction is to think this is awful that we lost 1 game on the royals, but in the grand scheme of things it's not that horrible

Viva Magglio
08-13-2003, 11:54 PM
Originally posted by MRKARNO
Not everyday can be perfect. besides, the twins lost so it wasnt the worst possible scenario.

Boo hoo we fell 1.5 games back. As long as we're within striking distance of the Royals, it doesnt matter because we play 7 of the last 10 with them. I know the knee-jerk reaction is to think this is awful that we lost 1 game on the royals, but in the grand scheme of things it's not that horrible

But if we keep playing ballgames the way we did tonight, we could blow whatever chances we have. :angry:

MRKARNO
08-13-2003, 11:57 PM
Originally posted by ˇViva Mágglio!
But if we keep playing ballgames the way we did tonight, we could blow whatever chances we have. :angry:

Well I guess an optimist cant convince a pessimist to suddenly become optimistic

:KW

"We can win the world series Jerry, gimme some money for a fifth starter for 1 month so we can at least make the playoffs"

:reinsy

"Look at how the team played tonight, they're going nowhere because the fans back home want them to so they have an excuse not to come to the ballpark and blame me when I have no money"

WhiteSox = Life
08-13-2003, 11:57 PM
Originally posted by MRKARNO

In the grand scheme of things, every game counts and the Sox continue to squander a lot of opportunities. They cannot afford such outings like tonight. I'm still shaking my head here in disbelief over the game.

MarqSox
08-14-2003, 12:06 AM
Originally posted by WhiteSox = Life
In the grand scheme of things, every game counts and the Sox continue to squander a lot of opportunities. They cannot afford such outings like tonight. I'm still shaking my head here in disbelief over the game.

You're right, but so is Karno. In the big picture, the entire season rests on how we do the final 2 weeks ... I'm looking at it as the Sox are in an extra round of the playoffs. Face it, we aren't going to run away with this thing, but we're not going to fall out of it either. Get it done the final 2 weeks, we're in. If we fail, we're out. Don't fret day to day too much ... unless we go on a prolonged losing stretch, we're fine.

Lip Man 1
08-14-2003, 12:53 AM
Just wondering....

Everyone is placing all this talk about the last two weeks with seven meetings against the Royals.

So how many games back is "too many?" for the Sox to overcome, I'd like to know.

I ask because if the Sox are only three games back, OK, just three games in the last two weeks they would have to win five of the seven just to make sure they'd be tied . (assuming neither team picks up or loses ground versus other clubs.)

They'd have to win six of seven to guarantee themselves of being two games ahead.

Could they do that? Sure....but does anybody want them to be in that position in the last two weeks? That's pretty long odds don't you think, with four games in K.C.

Sure it could be a safety net but the goal is NOT HAVING TO BE PUT IN THAT POSITION!

That's why even a half game lead going into the last two weeks is so important.

Lip

Lip Man 1
08-14-2003, 12:58 AM
If the Cubs get to the playoffs and the Sox don't it'll be a long Winter but if the Cubs somehow get into the World Series (even if they don't win it), the Sox might as well back up the moving trucks because they'll be a corpse in Chicago. (Unless Uncle Jerry happened to pick the Winter to sell. Then they'd be on life support.)

That's not a smart ass comment. They'd have ZERO media support and I mean none (at least they have some now...) and their fan base would dwindle to next to nothing with all the folks who don't root for one team or the other picking the North Side.

Lip

Dan H
08-14-2003, 08:41 AM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
If the Cubs get to the playoffs and the Sox don't it'll be a long Winter but if the Cubs somehow get into the World Series (even if they don't win it), the Sox might as well back up the moving trucks because they'll be a corpse in Chicago. (Unless Uncle Jerry happened to pick the Winter to sell. Then they'd be on life support.)

That's not a smart ass comment. They'd have ZERO media support and I mean none (at least they have some now...) and their fan base would dwindle to next to nothing with all the folks who don't root for one team or the other picking the North Side.

Lip

I agree it will be a very icy winter the Cubs are the only Chicago team to get into the playoffs. And with that pitching, I am convinced they will make it. Let's hope the Sox will do the same.

As big a critic I am of Sox onwership and management, I think they have been slowly waking up to the fact that old ways won't do. Denial is a big emotion to overcome, but I think the Sox have finally faced up to two things: 1. That many fans didn't like the sterile looking Comiskey and 2. That many fans just don't believe their commitment to winning. Some of the improvements to Comiskey and the trades have helped address these concerns, at least a little.

I would hope that even Jerry Reinsdorf would recognize that some dramatic moves will be needed if the Cubs do something big this year, and the Sox lose out to Kansas City. If he doesn't, you're right, Lip. This franchise will be in more trouble than it already is.

Procol Harum
08-14-2003, 08:47 AM
Originally posted by MarqSox
You're right, but so is Karno. In the big picture, the entire season rests on how we do the final 2 weeks ... I'm looking at it as the Sox are in an extra round of the playoffs. Face it, we aren't going to run away with this thing, but we're not going to fall out of it either. Get it done the final 2 weeks, we're in. If we fail, we're out. Don't fret day to day too much ... unless we go on a prolonged losing stretch, we're fine.

But I'd rather enter those last 2 weeks 2-3 or more games ahead, rather than 2-3 games BEHIND, wouldn't you? Every game, April or September matters if you're actually hoping to win something. Besides, with this franchise's track record--and the overall moxy shown by this particular version since October 2000--do you wanna pin all your hopes on the Sox roaring from behind to win 6 of 7 when it's all on the line?? If so, I'd like to talk to you about the future of a great little company called Enron...

bobj4400
08-14-2003, 08:52 AM
Unfortunately, after yesterday, I am convinced the Flubs will be in the post season. What a disaster. It makes me sick to my stomach when that team wins a game.

SoxxoS
08-14-2003, 09:18 AM
Originally posted by bobj4400
Unfortunately, after yesterday, I am convinced the Flubs will be in the post season. What a disaster. It makes me sick to my stomach when that team wins a game.

I'm not. That team is running on Kenny Lofton's .378 BA over the past 10 games. We have seen that song and dance before on the Southside. He is going to crash and burn soon, and so will there offense.

Tell you one thing, when Kerry Wood is your #3 starter, you have an awesome rotation.

daveb816
08-14-2003, 10:16 AM
'We have to be the most tortered fandom on the planet.'

Um, tell that to a Tigers fan, a Pirates fan, or a Brewers fan.

You might want to follow this tip from me. On days when the Cubs win and the Sox lose, I avoid Murph's show in the morning as much as possible. It's hard to take Murph's pennant fever and Fred's ignorant (for the most part) Sox comments and overall grouchiness.

bobj4400
08-14-2003, 10:23 AM
Originally posted by daveb816
'We have to be the most tortered fandom on the planet.'

Um, tell that to a Tigers fan, a Pirates fan, or a Brewers fan.

You might want to follow this tip from me. On days when the Cubs win and the Sox lose, I avoid Murph's show in the morning as much as possible. It's hard to take Murph's pennant fever and Fred's ignorant (for the most part) Sox comments and overall grouchiness.

I would much rather be a fan of any of those teams. They have all at least been to a World Series in my lifetime (although barely for the Pirates). We are much more tortured than them.

I agree with your advice concerning the Cub morning show. I forced myself to listen to Howard Stern on the way to work this morning. I didnt even put on the Score b/c I knew Murph would be giddy as a schoolgirl this morning.

What is with Huebner anyway? Does he just pretend to be a Sox fan so they can say the show is balanced? He cant actually be a Sox fan and not punch Murph.

daveb816
08-14-2003, 11:12 AM
It's all about the present and the recent past, IMHO. The Brewers haven't been over .500 in 11 seasons. Sorry, but I'll take rooting for a team with a great shot at a division title and one that won one 3 seasons ago and is .500 in a bad season any day of the week.

I think Fred is truly a Sox fan, but he knows football much better than baseball. I have no doubt that come September, he'll watch a Monday night or Sunday non-Bears game rather than a crucial Sox game.

Medford Bobby
08-14-2003, 11:12 AM
Boy if we wind up only taking 1 game out of 4 in Anaheim (to a team playing the worst ball in majors since the All-star game) it could take the entire month of August to make it over 1st place by 1 or two games. One of my earlier posts would be for the Royals to collapse totally for the Sox to take total control of this division..... :angry: n-o-w that could still happen, but if we are still to 2 to 3 games out and BOTH teams play 500 ball....the Sox will never catch up :(:

:reinsy " Oh sure I'd hire Lou Pinella in a New York minute, but he'd kick all the deadwood off the club, instill passion to win, take this club to the World Series, win the damn series, then I'd have my hands tied paying all these guys long term contracts,,,and I just can't conceive that financially....oh...gee...is this being.....published???"

Foulke You
08-14-2003, 11:46 AM
Originally posted by bobj4400
Unfortunately, after yesterday, I am convinced the Flubs will be in the post season.

I disagree. The Cubs are winning solely on pitching right now. Any team that regularly features the likes of Augie Ojeda and Doug Glanville is not a lock for the division. I told my Cub fan friend at work that I thought the Cubs would split the series with Houston. I stand by that assumption.

Also, I think the AL Central can lose the "weakest division in baseball" stigma that has been attached to it. In my opinion, the NL Central is the weaker division. I think the Royals and Twins are much stronger and playing better baseball overall than the Cards and Stros.

cheeses_h_rice
08-14-2003, 08:27 PM
I was at the Stros/Flubs game today at the Urinal, and man, the Astros did not look good at all.

I knew when Rick White was brought in that the game was out of reach. The Astros don't even have one hitter batting over .300, and today they put in some pitcher (Jared Fernandez) I've never even heard of.

It pains me to say this, but I think the momentum in the NL Central is on the Flubs' side.