PDA

View Full Version : Something our brilliant manager would never do.

SoxxoS
08-13-2003, 10:12 PM
In the Royals/Yankee game today, Kevin Appier gave up no runs in 6 innings of work. This was a big deal, because he sucks, and he was an ex-Royal. Tony Pena proceeds to let Appier warm up for the 7th, knowing Affeldt was going to pitch the 7th anyway. This allowed Appier to get a standing "O" for his effort when he left the field.

:jerry

"I'll take my pitchers out for ice cream. Dilly Bars for everyone!"

Tragg
08-13-2003, 10:15 PM
Come on - that's Cubesque.

Let's concern ourselves with things that matter on the field.

voodoochile
08-13-2003, 10:16 PM
Actually, Manuel did that in the Bartolo V Flubbies game and got roundly dissed for it...

MarqSox
08-13-2003, 10:23 PM
Originally posted by voodoochile
Actually, Manuel did that in the Bartolo V Flubbies game and got roundly dissed for it...

I was about to say the same thing ... that's not the only time he's done it either. "Our brilliant manager" has done that probably a half-dozen times this year alone.

Jerko
08-13-2003, 10:32 PM
Originally posted by voodoochile

Rightfully so I think. I think the fans would rather see the game start up again when the inning starts instead of sitting through the between inning commercials only for the game to come back on to the sight of the pitcher warming up only to be pulled before the inning starts. That's a joke. And if that game wasn't on espn he wouldn't have done it probably.

MarqSox
08-13-2003, 11:13 PM
Originally posted by Jerko
Rightfully so I think. I think the fans would rather see the game start up again when the inning starts instead of sitting through the between inning commercials only for the game to come back on to the sight of the pitcher warming up only to be pulled before the inning starts. That's a joke. And if that game wasn't on espn he wouldn't have done it probably.
I'm hoping your opinion is the minority ... it's a classy thing to do. If you're in such a hurry that you can't spare 3 minutes to applaud a job well done, you shouldn't be watching baseball anyway.

WhiteSox = Life
08-13-2003, 11:20 PM
Plus, he's a KC guy and when he was down on his luck and all but out, the Royals gave him a shot. Appier pitched very well against a very good team and deserves applause... Just not from Yankee and Sox fans.

:smile:

Jerko
08-13-2003, 11:43 PM
Originally posted by MarqSox
I'm hoping your opinion is the minority ... it's a classy thing to do. If you're in such a hurry that you can't spare 3 minutes to applaud a job well done, you shouldn't be watching baseball anyway.

I wasn't talking about Pena/Appier. Someone said that Manuel got dissed for doing almost the same thing and I agree he should have. ALMOST the same thing. For one, KC had a 6 run lead and were at home. It was real classy when JM did that to Colon at WRIGLEY (I know he's done that more than once, that's just the most glaring time and the one time people here are bringing up). All those Cub fans were applauding a "job well done" while the Sox fans that were there were livid, as you probably were that day too. Oh, I forgot, he was hurt . I'm sorry, but to me it's more important getting that next reliever in the game with his normal warmups than worrying about getting face time on TV by letting a pitcher you KNOW you're going to pull go out to the mound to start an inning that you as the manager know he is not going to throw a pitch in. Maybe he'll let me walk out there to start an inning and then pull me, that would make me feel good, and isn't that the classy thing to do after all? What a joke.

MarqSox
08-13-2003, 11:44 PM
I wasn't talking about Pena/Appier. Someone said that Manuel got dissed for doing almost the same thing and I agree he should have. ALMOST the same thing. For one, KC had a 6 run lead and were at home. It was real classy when JM did that to Colon at WRIGLEY (I know he's done that more than once, that's just the most glaring time and the one time people here are bringing up).

Right, because there weren't any Sox fans there that day ...

Jerko
08-14-2003, 12:12 AM
I wasn't talking about Pena/Appier. Someone said that Manuel got dissed for doing almost the same thing and I agree he should have. ALMOST the same thing. For one, KC had a 6 run lead and were at home. It was real classy when JM did that to Colon at WRIGLEY (I know he's done that more than once, that's just the most glaring time and the one time people here are bringing up). All those Cub fans were applauding a "job well done" while the Sox fans that were there were livid, as you probably were that day too. Oh, I forgot, he was hurt . I'm sorry, but to me it's more important getting that next reliever in the game with his normal warmups than worrying about getting face time on TV by letting a pitcher you KNOW you're going to pull go out to the mound to start an inning that you as the manager know he is not going to throw a pitch in. Maybe he'll let me walk out there to start an inning and then pull me, that would make me feel good, and isn't that the classy thing to do after all? What a joke.

Ok, that was my last post. Then MarqSox cuts half of it off to make it look like I said there were no Sox fans at Wrigley the day Colon got pulled in the 9th after going out to warm up for the 9th. Let me clarify myself. Yes, I know there were Sox fans there, I think I even said that. No, it was not a home game for the Sox. The Sox fans that were there did NOT want to see Colon get pulled, THEREFORE, they did NOT want to applaud him for a "job well done". They did clap for him when he left because they (we) are good fans, but they wanted Colon to STAY in the game and get the WIN. That is not the same as what Pena did. Marq, maybe you misunderstood me or didn't read my entire post, but if you're going to quote somebody and then try to make him look like an ass, at least use the full quote. Don't cut half of it off and pretend the part you ignored never existed.

Lip Man 1
08-14-2003, 02:07 AM
Let's see that same "beat up" "sore armed" "wothless piece of ca-ca" in the words of some of our "experts" here at WSI has pitched what 11 innings for K.C. and allowed two runs?

Oh yea that other guy some folks were making fun of, Jose' Lima is 7-0.

Yea those two bums can't compare with our brilliant young go getters like Cotts, Wright and Porzio. (O.K. Mike isn't so young.)

I sure wish the Sox were as stupid as the Royals!

Look I know I'm being an ass but with every passing day and with every start I see the same folks refusing to give one iota of credit to Kansas City.

I just think in fairness they should. They have done a hell of a job and shows you what you can do with a manager who's on his toes and not sleeping in the dugout.

Lip

doublem23
08-14-2003, 02:27 AM

Baseball games last, on average 3 hours... Is another minute going to kill you?

If the guy deserves a standing O, let him get it.

doublem23
08-14-2003, 02:29 AM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
Let's see that same "beat up" "sore armed" "wothless piece of ca-ca" in the words of some of our "experts" here at WSI has pitched what 11 innings for K.C. and allowed two runs?

Yea those two bums can't compare with our brilliant young go getters like Cotts, Wright and Porzio. (O.K. Mike isn't so young.)

Look I know I'm being an ass but with every passing day and with every start I see the same folks refusing to give one iota of credit to Kansas City.

I just think in fairness they should. They have done a hell of a job and shows you what you can do with a manager who's on his toes and not sleeping in the dugout.

Lip

The Royals still ****ing suck.

:whiner:

kermittheefrog
08-14-2003, 04:02 AM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1

Lip

While the Royals deserve credit I don't think Appier and Lima are where they deserve it. Be serious Lip. You would have laughed your ass off if our front office brought in two guys like that. One guy who ran out of chances with Detroit and couldn't get a major league team to look at him before the season. And another guy who Anaheim decided they'd rather pay 7 million to pitch for the opposition.

I'll give the Royals credit for things like recognizing Aaron Guiel can hit and Darrell May can pitch and sticking with young players like Angel Berroa. When it comes to Appier and Lima they've just gotten lucky.

Jerko
08-14-2003, 10:09 AM
Originally posted by doublem23
Baseball games last, on average 3 hours... Is another minute going to kill you?

If the guy deserves a standing O, let him get it.

Boy, don't you guys read? Pena/Appier was fine IMO because it was a Royals home game, they had a big lead, and the fans were eating it up. Now let's get to the Colon/Wrigley game, now we're talking about a DIFFERENT GAME than KC/NY, so pay attention here, here's my point. I'll even put it in the form of a question

When Manuel came out to pull Colon in the 9th after he already warmed up and was killing the Cubs all day, your first thought when you saw JM sleepwalk out of the dugout was:

A. What the hell is he doing-we only have a 1 run lead?
B. Dammit Manuel, leave him in, he's doing great!
C. Maybe he's hurt, his translator just woke JM up to tell him something; or
D. How nice, JM let him warm up in the 9th and then pulled him so the fans can cheer for him. How heartwarming.

If any of you said D you're damn liars. D is what Pena did, not Manuel.

I don't care if the games go 4 hours, I just think if you're going to pull a pitcher before the inning starts, letting him go to the mound to warm up first is USELESS UNLESS you're doing what Pena did. What Pena did with Appier is DIFFERENT than what Manuel did with Colon, and all I said originally was JM took heat for that and he deserved it. Then he says he did it that way (taking him out after he took the mound) because Colon was hurt or tired but he's done it like 5 other times this year. JM is full of crap. The only things worse than his moves are his "reasons" for his moves. I think I'll go back to all the posts right after that game and see how many of you thought Manuel did something great then by letting Colon bask in the applause of the Sox fans at Wrigley that fateful Sunday. I bet I find ONE at most. How about lauding a manager who tries to win insead of one who is worried about getting face time for his players in a heated game against a hated team.

MarqSox
08-14-2003, 10:21 AM
Boy, don't you guys read? Pena/Appier was fine IMO because it was a Royals home game, they had a big lead, and the fans were eating it up. Now let's get to the Colon/Wrigley game, now we're talking about a DIFFERENT GAME than KC/NY, so pay attention here, here's my point. I'll even put it in the form of a question

When Manuel came out to pull Colon in the 9th after he already warmed up and was killing the Cubs all day, your first thought when you saw JM sleepwalk out of the dugout was:

D. How nice, JM let him warm up in the 9th and then pulled him so the fans can cheer for him. How heartwarming.

I don't care if the games go 4 hours, I just think if you're going to pull a pitcher before the inning starts, letting him go to the mound to warm up first is USELESS UNLESS you're doing what Pena did. What Pena did with Appier is DIFFERENT than what Manuel did with Colon, and all I said originally was JM took heat for that and he deserved it. Then he says he did it that way (taking him out after he took the mound) because Colon was hurt or tired but he's done it like 5 other times this year. JM is full of crap. The only things worse than his moves are his "reasons" for his moves. I think I'll go back to all the posts right after that game and see how many of you thought Manuel did something great then by letting Colon bask in the applause of the Sox fans at Wrigley that fateful Sunday. I bet I find ONE at most. How about lauding a manager who tries to win insead of one who is worried about getting face time for his players in a heated game against a hated team.

Hate to break it to you, but I picked D, and I'm not lying.

Jerko
08-14-2003, 10:51 AM
Originally posted by MarqSox
Hate to break it to you, but I picked D, and I'm not lying.

Well more power to you Marq Sox, more power to you. Don't get me wrong, it was nice that the Sox fans there cheered him on as he left the mound, but don't forget a lot of that applause was from Cub fans who were happy he left cause the ones that actually pay attention knew they had a chance to win then. I still can't believe that's the first thing you thought of though.

MarqSox
08-14-2003, 10:54 AM
Well more power to you Marq Sox, more power to you. Don't get me wrong, it was nice that the Sox fans there cheered him on as he left the mound, but don't forget a lot of that applause was from Cub fans who were happy he left cause the ones that actually pay attention knew they had a chance to win then. I still can't believe that's the first thing you thought of though.

I'm not saying I wasn't disappointed when he came out, but I didn't think it was necessarily a bad decision either. And I felt like if he was gonna come out, I was glad Manuel at least let him warm up first so he could get the ovation.

ssang
08-14-2003, 10:56 AM

Yes, yes, yes! I agree with you in F-U-L-L. This is the game where I just lost it. I mean I scared the s**t out of my roomates friends visiting from out of town because I went insane on Jerry "I hate you, and yiu suck" Manuel. That was the single worst move of the entire season.....and that says A LOT because there have been plenty of foolish moves on idiot Manuel's part. 1) He took out a pitcher who was just dominating the Cubs in every possible way. 2) Idiot took him out without even throwing a pitch in the 8th inning AFTER Colon had already warmed up on the mound. 3) Manuel was scared of friggin' Troy O'Leary because he had a .320 lifetime average against Colon..no one was hitting Bartolo on that day. 4) We were ahead by the slimest of margins agaisnt the hated cross-town rival, the Cubs. And it was for a sweep. :angry: :angry:

This was the final straw and trust me, there have were plent more gaffes before this awful incident and there have been plenty more since then.

A close second is when Manuel took one in the rear when he hardly lifted a finger in complainin about an obvious Crede HR vs. Baltimore. What a bitch!