PDA

View Full Version : KW reads WSI?

delben91
08-13-2003, 06:36 PM
I'm a subscriber to Sports Illustrated, and got the latest issue today. Within is a nice article about the Sox resurgance since the All-Star break, most notably, the heating up of Maggs and Konerko. Also mentioned in the article are the trades for Roberto Alomar and Carl Everett. Supposedly the moves were a shock to all since the Sox weren't considered buyers, but in the article, there is this from KW:

"We were buyers the entire season," Williams says. "I'd go online and I'd read the message boards, and sometimes it gets a little agitating when you see something about your club that gives people the wrong impression. No matter what I said, people thought we were going to be selling."

I tried to find the article on www.cnnsi.com , but not surprisingly (since they want people to have to buy the magazine), I couldn't find it, so you all will just have to take my word for it I guess.

Maybe some other SI readers can back me up on this? Either way, WSI isn't mentioned by name, but I thought it interesting that the long held belief that the Sox brass keeps tabs on the fans opinions seems to have a decent amount of truth to it.

PaleHoseGeorge
08-13-2003, 06:49 PM
:KW
"If that bastard Hal Vickery calls me 'Professor Chaos' one more time..."

:ohno
"And what about that chick who had you resigning your job last spring?"

:bandance:

dickallen15
08-13-2003, 06:51 PM
I saw it and it made me go hmmmmmmmmmmmm

Nick@Nite
08-13-2003, 07:21 PM
I always thought SI came across as first-class jerks... imo.

On the other hand, the thought of Sox brass occasionally cruising WSI brings a big smile to my face. :)

:reinsy
"Everyone likes me, right?"

"Right boss"

Lip Man 1
08-13-2003, 08:49 PM
If Williams reads WSI (and I think he probably does since the site has drawn so much publicity among the mainstream media) then he better DAMN well go out and get some PITCHING!

Lip

LuvSox
08-13-2003, 08:50 PM
"I have underlings read the message boards. I'm way too arrogant to rub elbows with the common person."

MarqSox
08-13-2003, 09:24 PM
Originally posted by LuvSox
"I have underlings read the message boards. I'm way too arrogant to rub elbows with the common person."
I don't get that impression at all. KW is a fans' GM. I get the sense that he lives and dies with this team just as much as we do and wants to win the series not for himself but for us.

LuvSox
08-13-2003, 09:32 PM
Originally posted by MarqSox
I don't get that impression at all. KW is a fans' GM. I get the sense that he lives and dies with this team just as much as we do and wants to win the series not for himself but for us.

He's said plenty of arrogant things. I'm too tired to research, hopefully someone else will step up :D:

inta
08-13-2003, 11:01 PM
i've never read about KW saying anything about the fans, he's ripped the media (deservingly IMO), but never the fans. he wants to put butts in the blue seats and he's tried his damnedest to do that this year.

sure another pitcher might've helped, but who was out there really? who would we have had to give up for them?

KW has done a bang up job with this team and shown more confidence in them this season than any fan in chicago. that deserves huge respect in my book.

Thunderstruck30
08-13-2003, 11:54 PM
I immediately thought of WSI when I read that. I also liked how the author said something about D'Angelo Jiminez plays defense like Charlie Brown kicks a football.

LuvSox
08-14-2003, 05:53 AM
Originally posted by inta
i've never read about KW saying anything about the fans

I never said he bad-mouthed the fans. I only said he was arrogant.

MarqSox
08-14-2003, 07:18 AM
Originally posted by LuvSox
I never said he bad-mouthed the fans. I only said he was arrogant.

Still not sure why you think that.

inta
08-14-2003, 08:17 AM
better he's "arrogant" than meek.... in my opinion....

D'Angelo F Death
08-14-2003, 08:20 AM
"arrogant"? Who cares? Are you dating him?

I like the fact KW takes hostile phone calls from fans when he does radio.

gosox41
08-14-2003, 08:23 AM
i've never read about KW saying anything about the fans, he's ripped the media (deservingly IMO), but never the fans. he wants to put butts in the blue seats and he's tried his damnedest to do that this year.

Except when he used to being up his 50 cents example and how the Sox cna't spend a dolalr when they only have 50 cents. Then went on to say he needed ar ise in attendence. This was a couple of years ago, but it sure sounded liked blame to me.

Bob

MarqSox
08-14-2003, 08:55 AM
I got a fun game for ya ... presuming KW is a lurker, he at some point must have been tempted to make some posts. So, anyone want to venture guesses as to which screenname is KW's? :D:

Hangar18
08-14-2003, 09:57 AM
Alan Aqua. But for the record, I really do believe KW as well as other Sox Brass are reading this board.....but what the heck...I think this board has the best CrossSection of the SOX Fan Base around. If I was a sox staffer, Id certainly come here for the best opinion (and doesnt cost a thing). Its just plain smart to see what your Constiuency is thinking about you/your club. I know the Media is here ALL THE TIME, just by reading the columns/reports/stories theyre printing/broadcasting. I LOVE how a Point can be brought up here, and suddenly, someone like Mariotti or Rosenbloom will suddenly bring it up in a column. Or a guy like Murphy on the score will bring up the media conspiracy thing, and how sox fans are complaining about it (though its never brought up on the air, hes too busy talking about why Palmeiro wont come to the cubs).

Mammoo
08-14-2003, 10:35 AM
The more I watch this guy, the more impressed I am. I think it's great he wants to know what the fans are thinking, then has the class to admit it.

His trades for Alomar and Everett go down as two of the best in the history of this franchise, as far as the measureable impact on a season is concerned!

:gulp:

inta
08-14-2003, 10:41 AM
Originally posted by Mammoo
The more I watch this guy, the more impressed I am. I think it's great he wants to know what the fans are thinking, then has the class to admit it.

His trades for Alomar and Everett go down as two of the best in the history of this franchise, as far as the measureable impact on a season is concerned!

:gulp:

agreed, the green flag trades.

ScottyTheSoxFan
08-14-2003, 11:06 AM
i always thought TheBigHurt was really Kenny Williams.

Mammoo
08-14-2003, 11:08 AM

Hey, I like that!!!!!!!!!!! :)

Foulke You
08-14-2003, 11:50 AM

That is a great name for those two trades. :smile: