PDA

View Full Version : Cotts to make the start against Texas...


Randar68
08-13-2003, 12:52 PM
We'll get one more chance to see if he can calm himself down.

From MLB.com game recap.

Cotts currently is penciled in to start Sunday's series finale in Texas. White Sox manager Jerry Manuel said the ultimate decision would come from Cotts’ on-field performance.

"They didn't put the ball in play too hard off of him, but they didn't really have the opportunity," Manuel said of Cotts. "We will give him one more shot and see how that goes."

Manuel laughed at the fact that Cotts' low-key demeanor would seemingly point to an unflappable approach to his first start.

In Manuel's first season in 1998, a little-known left-hander named Todd Rizzo showed the ultimate in confidence when talking in the hotel lobby about making his first appearance. The results were a little different when he came into the second game of the season-opening series with the Rangers, allowing four hits, two walks and six earned runs against the six batters he faced.

"He was talking how, 'This is it. I can't wait to get out there tonight. This is the lightning bolt (pointing to his left arm),'" said Manuel with a laugh. "It was one of my first games (as manager), and I was nervous and I wasn't playing.

"I was looking at him during the game, and I had to call a time out. I ran out there and asked him, 'Are you all right, man? Breathe. Breathe' How can you can get an out if you can't breathe?

"These guys have a way of hiding it, so I wait until they go out there to evaluate," Manuel added. "That's what Rizzo taught me."

Mammoo
08-13-2003, 01:56 PM
Cotts seems to have a live arm but what does that matter if the destination of the ball is in doubt. I'm always amazed at these guys who come up from the minors after some success and forget how to pitch. I'm sure he was nervous which means another start is in order. Just throw the frigging ball over the plate with some movement and let the chips fall where they may. :smile:

Here's to your next start young man! :gulp:

SoxxoS
08-13-2003, 04:41 PM
You know if Cotts was on the Angels pitching against us, his line would be something like-

8 innings, 2 hits, 10 K's 1 walk. :)

RKMeibalane
08-13-2003, 05:03 PM
This is a good move by Manuel. Neal Cotts is not the answer in the number five spot, but he does deserve another chance after what happened yesterday. Besides, the Sox may have finally found a suitable role for Danny Wright. If he is effective working out of the bullpen, then they may have found the help they were looking for in that department.

Hullett_Fan
08-13-2003, 05:09 PM
Originally posted by RKMeibalane
...the Sox may have finally found a suitable role for Danny Wright. If he is effective working out of the bullpen, then they may have found the help they were looking for in that department.

Weren't most WSI'ers advocating that role for Wright back in Spring Training?? :D:

RKMeibalane
08-13-2003, 05:11 PM
Originally posted by Hullett_Fan
Weren't most WSI'ers advocating that role for Wright back in Spring Training?? :D:

I don't remember to be honest with you. I was hoping that Wright would be able to remain in the starting rotation, but he didn't pitch well enough to hold onto his spot. He has good stuff, and he can be extremely nasty when he's on his game, but we haven't seen that at all this season. Therefore, Wright should probably remain in the bullpen until he either shows he is capable of starting again, or an injury forces the Sox to put him back into the rotation.

Hullett_Fan
08-13-2003, 05:16 PM
Originally posted by RKMeibalane
I don't remember to be honest with you. I was hoping that Wright would be able to remain in the starting rotation, but he didn't pitch well enough to hold onto his spot. He has good stuff, and he can be extremely nasty when he's on his game, but we haven't seen that at all this season. Therefore, Wright should probably remain in the bullpen until he either shows he is capable of starting again, or an injury forces the Sox to put him back into the rotation.


Not totally sure myself...but I seem to remember people some saying that Wright should work out of the pen once he gets off the DL and finishes minor league assignment. He seems to have good stuff...his only problem IMO is focus, and working out of the pen might force him to improve in that area.

voodoochile
08-13-2003, 05:52 PM
Originally posted by Hullett_Fan
Not totally sure myself...but I seem to remember people some saying that Wright should work out of the pen once he gets off the DL and finishes minor league assignment. He seems to have good stuff...his only problem IMO is focus, and working out of the pen might force him to improve in that area.

I think it is more about anticipation. He seems to over-think things and get himself all worked up. Not knowing when he will pitch will definitely help that because he can just relax in the bullpen until someone tells him to get warmed up. Then he doesn't have time to get nervous.

delben91
08-13-2003, 05:57 PM
Originally posted by voodoochile
I think it is more about anticipation. He seems to over-think things and get himself all worked up. Not knowing when he will pitch will definitely help that because he can just relax in the bullpen until someone tells him to get warmed up. Then he doesn't have time to get nervous.

This is a pretty good theory.

Personally though, I hope he can get himself right mentally, as I think this is where the problem as always been with Danny. He's got the "stuff", hard as that may be to quantify, to be a solid starter, and you can always use more starting pitching.

For now though, the Sox need the help in the pen, and if Danny can provide that, then all the better.

EDIT: I was one in spring training advocating him for the rotation thinking he'd have a big year. If I could have my crow medium well with some A1 sauce, I'd be most appreciative.

RKMeibalane
08-13-2003, 05:58 PM
Originally posted by voodoochile
I think it is more about anticipation. He seems to over-think things and get himself all worked up.

The Sox seem to have a lot of players like that. The problem is, Jerry Manuel won't put them where they can succeed.

:hurt

"I am a better hitter when I DH, because I have time to sit in the dugout and stew over that flyball that died at the warning track. Oh, wait... NOOOOOOO!"

Lip Man 1
08-13-2003, 10:01 PM
Maybe if the Sox are lucky Cotts can actually work four innings?

But as was stated on another thread by someone who else can the Sox use? Anybody left is garbage anyway.

Lip