PDA

View Full Version : Koch Going To The 15 Day DL

Shoeless Joe
08-13-2003, 05:26 AM
Koch (http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/recap?gid=230812103) is going to the 15 day DL and apparently Jon Adkins is going to replace him. Anybody got any numbers on him?

Hangar18
08-13-2003, 07:38 AM
wow. He says its been only the last few weeks, but i wonder if its been all season...

SoxxoS
08-13-2003, 08:02 AM
I would bet Billy has been having problems with that elbow for a long time now. He got way overworked last year and our scouting team didn't put enough emphasis on that.

Adkins is a guy that isn't as highly touted as Cotts, but will pitch a lot better up here then him. Adkins is 25 years old, so its now or never for him.

7-7 with a 3.91 ERA in the Charlotte bandbox. 34 walks and 110 hits in 115 innings. 55 K's.

The Sox really liked him when acquired him, so lets see what he can do. I have no idea if he will start in place of Cotts next time, or if he will go to the bullpen...

MarqSox
08-13-2003, 09:12 AM
Call me skeptical, but this sounds an awful lot like the "back spasms" that land NBA players on the 15-day DL, when really it's just to clear roster space. I could be wrong, but something tells me KW realizes Koch is a liability right now and that the rest of the bullpen is overworked.

Procol Harum
08-13-2003, 09:19 AM
Originally posted by MarqSox
Call me skeptical, but this sounds an awful lot like the "back spasms" that land NBA players on the 15-day DL, when really it's just to clear roster space. I could be wrong, but something tells me KW realizes Koch is a liability right now and that the rest of the bullpen is overworked.

I had the same thought--the guy was up and throwing Monday night (heck, he even got in for a bit, didn't he? Can't remember). I'm suspecting this may be more of a move for roster space and a last, desparate gambit to see if maybe the guy can clear his head up--take a few days to go home and relax, that sort of thing--and maybe be of some use come September.

34 Inch Stick
08-13-2003, 09:36 AM
Take that Billy Beane. Three Oakland minor leaguers now on the Sox major league roster. Of course he has Bradford and Foulke who are actually producing on a major league roster.

Anyway, take that Beane.

harwar
08-13-2003, 09:37 AM
I say its about time.We desperately needed to get Koch going because we don't have a real closer and you kinda need one if your going to the playoffs.But its time to go to plan B for obvious reasons.Of course what the heck plan B might be is beyond me.Our bullpen scares the heck outta me.
That guy that pitched for the angels last night looked pretty good,i think his name was gary something..oh yea,it was Gary Glover,maybe we could swing a trade for that guy,he looks to be a great middle relief guy.

Fisk72
08-13-2003, 09:42 AM
Originally posted by harwar
But its time to go to plan B for obvious reasons.Of course what the heck plan B might be is beyond me.

There's a very good chance that KW and JR are trying to figure out the same thing! Whatever Plan B will turn out to be, I know I'll end up :gulp: ! LOL

kevingrt
08-13-2003, 10:38 AM
We will see if it's been all season, when he comes back and he starts throwing 98 MPH Fastballs.

gosox41
08-13-2003, 11:37 AM
Originally posted by Shoeless Joe
Koch (http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/recap?gid=230812103) is going to the 15 day DL and apparently Jon Adkins is going to replace him. Anybody got any numbers on him?

Jon Adkins???

:chunks

Seriously, give me some hope. Is there any reason for me to think this guy will be decent????

Bob

gosox41
08-13-2003, 11:39 AM
Originally posted by kevingrt
We will see if it's been all season, when he comes back and he starts throwing 98 MPH Fastballs.

You're optimistic there. I hope you're right.

Bob

maurice
08-13-2003, 11:42 AM
Adkins is the product of last season's Ray Durham "F-ing A" trade. He has been an inconsistent starter at AAA -- lights-out one game and bad the next. I'm not sure why they promoted him, unless this is a misguided attempt to prove Oakland wrong. Best case scenario, he'll fill the Gary Glover / guy-who-never-pitches role in the pen. His K/IP ratio is pathetic.

SoxxoS
08-13-2003, 11:49 AM
But that is all we can get for Ray Durham is Jon Adkins? Did you see what Texas got from us for Everett...BA's #3 prospect in the organization. This is one of the only KW trades I didn't agree with at the time.

MRKARNO
08-13-2003, 11:52 AM
Adkins was one of the best options from our talent-less AAA team. The AA team is stacked with talent.

What does anyone know about Enemencio Pacheco and how has Tetsu Yofu been coming along since his sendown to AA?

maurice
08-13-2003, 12:03 PM
IMHO, Adkins was no better than the #4 or #5 starter in Charlotte. The problem is that, in classic White Sox fashion, starters 1-3 each have had injury problems this season. Stewart in particular pitched very well for us before getting hit in the chest with a line drive, which apparently was a more severe injury than it initially appeared.

Randar68
08-13-2003, 12:09 PM
Originally posted by maurice
IMHO, Adkins was no better than the #4 or #5 starter in Charlotte. The problem is that, in classic White Sox fashion, starters 1-3 each have had injury problems this season. Stewart in particular pitched very well for us before getting hit in the chest with a line drive, which apparently was a more severe injury than it initially appeared.

Yeah, injury to his brain.

Randar68
08-13-2003, 12:11 PM
Originally posted by Procol Harum
I had the same thought--the guy was up and throwing Monday night (heck, he even got in for a bit, didn't he? Can't remember). I'm suspecting this may be more of a move for roster space and a last, desparate gambit to see if maybe the guy can clear his head up--take a few days to go home and relax, that sort of thing--and maybe be of some use come September.

Nobody has made this out to be a playoff saving move. It's filling a roster space at the end of the bullpen.

Anyone even consider this is a temporary move until the Jose Paniagua situation works itself out (with his Visa and such)?

OEO Magglio
08-13-2003, 12:27 PM
Anyone even consider this is a temporary move until the Jose Paniagua situation works itself out (with his Visa and such)?
Well that could be, then when Paniagua is ready Cotts gets sent back down, and adkins gets a chance at being the number 5, Adkins has a pretty solid era in aaa, and he's not going to walk 6 guys in 2.1 innings of work, I'd like to see Adkins get a chance.

kermittheefrog
08-13-2003, 12:40 PM
Originally posted by MarqSox

Koch seems too willing to accept things for it to be a BS DL move. Usually when teams force players to the DL with nonexistent injuries players don't respond well.

Randar68
08-13-2003, 12:55 PM
Originally posted by OEO Magglio
Well that could be, then when Paniagua is ready Cotts gets sent back down, and adkins gets a chance at being the number 5, Adkins has a pretty solid era in aaa

Ugggghhh! If they wanted Adkins to start, they would have brought him up for yesterday's game. Please don't subject us to that. I'd rather see Rauch.

Originally posted by OEO Magglio and he's not going to walk 6 guys in 2.1 innings of work, I'd like to see Adkins get a chance. [/B]

Why are you people so willing to slam Cotts in his FIRST MLB start? Sheeesh, it's called jitters. Most young pitchers have a rough outing or 2 like that early on

Settle down, folks. Any 5th starter will get used no more than 2 times the rest of the way with the off-days schedule we have left.

MarqSox
08-13-2003, 12:57 PM
Originally posted by kermittheefrog
Koch seems too willing to accept things for it to be a BS DL move. Usually when teams force players to the DL with nonexistent injuries players don't respond well.

True, but Koch is said to be a true team player. If that's accurate, then he realizes this might be the best thing.

SoxxoS
08-13-2003, 01:02 PM
As I remember...

Kerry "I am the fastest to 1000 strikeouts and that is all the fans care about anyway because everyone knows I am Nolan Ryan Jr." Wood struggled pretty bad his first start against the Expos. Not Cotts bad, but bad. Give the guy another shot, it looks like Danny Wright might succeed in the bullpen.

OEO Magglio
08-13-2003, 01:27 PM
Why are you people so willing to slam Cotts in his FIRST MLB start? Sheeesh, it's called jitters. Most young pitchers have a rough outing or 2 like that early on
I'm not coming to any conclusions on cotts, yes he was obvioulsy nervous, but cotts did have trouble with his walk totals in aa, he's going to have high walk totals most of the time, but not like yesterday, all I'm saying is Adkins would throw more strikes then Cotts, I have no doubt cotts is going to be a very solid pitcher down the road, but right now Adkins might be a little better choice, but if he's not going to start, I'm all for giving Cotts another shot.

Iwritecode
08-13-2003, 01:37 PM
Originally posted by Randar68
Any 5th starter will get used no more than 2 times the rest of the way with the off-days schedule we have left.

Actually, if they stay with a 5-man rotation I come up with 7 more starts. The good news is that the next three are against TEX, TEX and DET. The bad news is that the last 4 are MIN, BOS, KC, KC. But hey, maybe we'll have the division locked up by those last two starts...

Lip Man 1
08-13-2003, 01:39 PM
MarqSox says: and that the rest of the bullpen is overworked.

and what does the Sox organization do?

Do they cut a deal with some other clubs in order to get a decent waiver pickup?

Do they make promises to other clubs "if you don't block a waiver pickup, we won't block yours..."

No they bring up Jon Adkins!!!!!

Jesus it just keeps getting worse and worse doesn't it?

The Yankees "somehow" (nudge, nudge, wink, wink) can make a TRADE to get Jeff Nelson...the Sox get Jon Adkins.

Un friggin believeable.

Lip

MHOUSE
08-13-2003, 01:50 PM
I understand why Koch goes to the DL injury or not: he sucks. He's unreliable and he's wasting a roster spot. So yeah put him on the DL. Why wasn't this move made months ago? Why do you bring up another starter? Will Cotts work out of the pen? Don't mess with Cotts, let him get starts at AA or AAA. Adkins is at a more now or never stage anyways. So if he's the 5th starter then recall Ginter or Porzio for the bullpen. Was Burke sent down when Cotts was recalled? He looked real good at the plate IMO.

Loaiza
Buehrle
Colon
Garland
Adkins? Cotts?

Wright
Flash
Scho
Wunsch
Marte

The bullpen looks damn thin if you throw one of those minor league guys into it.

gosox41
08-13-2003, 02:01 PM
Originally posted by SoxxoS
But that is all we can get for Ray Durham is Jon Adkins? Did you see what Texas got from us for Everett...BA's #3 prospect in the organization. This is one of the only KW trades I didn't agree with at the time.

This ranks third in my list of KW's trades that I didn't agree with at the time.

Bob

Randar68
08-13-2003, 02:26 PM
Originally posted by Iwritecode
Actually, if they stay with a 5-man rotation I come up with 7 more starts. The good news is that the next three are against TEX, TEX and DET. The bad news is that the last 4 are MIN, BOS, KC, KC. But hey, maybe we'll have the division locked up by those last two starts...

Skip the 5th man for every off-day.

Randar68
08-13-2003, 02:28 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
MarqSox says: and that the rest of the bullpen is overworked.

and what does the Sox organization do?

Do they cut a deal with some other clubs in order to get a decent waiver pickup?

Do they make promises to other clubs "if you don't block a waiver pickup, we won't block yours..."

No they bring up Jon Adkins!!!!!

Jesus it just keeps getting worse and worse doesn't it?

The Yankees "somehow" (nudge, nudge, wink, wink) can make a TRADE to get Jeff Nelson...the Sox get Jon Adkins.

Un friggin believeable.

Lip

OK, I've had enough :whiner:

:chickenlittle

Randar68
08-13-2003, 02:31 PM
Skip the 5th man for every off-day.

The MOST I get assuming no rain-outs or DH's is 4.

MisterB
08-13-2003, 10:59 PM
The MOST I get assuming no rain-outs or DH's is 4.

You must have guys going on 3 days' rest a couple times. This is what I got:

8/13-Buehrle, 14-Garland, 15-Loaiza, 16-Colon, 17-5th Starter

18-B, 19-G, 20-L, 21-C, 22-5TH

23-B, 24-G, 25-OFF, 26-L, 27-C

28-B, 29-G, 30-5TH , 31-L, 9/1-OFF

2-C, 3-B, 4-OFF, 5-G, 6-L

7-C, 8-B, 9-5TH , 10-G, 11-L

12-C, 13-B, 14-5TH , 15-OFF, 16-G

17-L, 18-C, 19-B, 20-5TH , 21-G

22-L, 23-C, 24-B, 25-5TH , 26-G

27-L, 28-C

Totals: Loaiza 9, Colon 9, Buehrle 9, Garland 9, 5TH Starter 7

Some guys will get 5 days rest but none get 3, and the 5th starter is the only one who gets skipped.