PDA

View Full Version : Happy 9 year anniversary...

Thunderstruck30
08-12-2003, 03:47 PM
...of the players strike. August 12, 1994 was one of the worst days in Major League Baseball history. Also a bad day to be a Sox fan. The Sox were in 1st at the time and had a great shot at reaching the Series. Thanks alot Reinsdorf.

Hangar18
08-12-2003, 04:36 PM
Yes, that was a Dark Dark day in MLB history, a day that didnt go away just because sammy was corking his way to 66 homers in 98. heres a special F U to jerry for costing us a World Series.
We WOULDVE BEEN THERE ....... a special F to the CUbs, for running Fay Vincent out of office the yr before, and thus, our last safety net at preventing a strike

JJAustin69
08-12-2003, 04:48 PM
Sadly, despite all the juiced balls, corked bats, interleague play, all-star game gimmicks, wild card playoffs, expansion and anything else they can think of, they can't put Humpty Dumpty back together again.

Lip Man 1
08-12-2003, 07:56 PM
I was thinking about the strike myself last night while the Sox were in Anaheim.

Right before the strike the Sox were on the West Coast and badly needed to keep winning because of the slim lead they had on Cleveland and the possibility that if the players returned in time for a post season, nobody knew what the format might be. In other words they HAD to be in first place to automatically qualify under any circumstances.

I remember the Sox beating Anaheim in an outrageous game, something like 18-12 on the Saturday before the shut down keeping them ahead by a game. Then they went to Oakland where they won two or two of three to seal it.

I do find it interesting that over time many Sox fans felt without question, the Sox were going to the World Series. I think they had a great shot but remember when the strike hit the Sox lead was a single game over the Tribe and in fact the Sox didn't even have the best record in the league. They trailed New York by three games.

I think the strong Sox pitching would have been the difference but I'm not willing to say they were guaranteed a series appearance.

Anything could have happened had they played the final six weeks.

Lip

Thunderstruck30
08-12-2003, 11:09 PM
They mentioned this on PTI today and Bob Ryan said "I would like to congratulate the 94 World Series champion Montreal Expos." Wilbon then said "Ohh I thought you were gonna say the White Sox."

WhiteSox = Life
08-12-2003, 11:30 PM
Originally posted by Thunderstruck30
They mentioned this on PTI today and Bob Ryan said "I would like to congratulate the 94 World Series champion Montreal Expos." Wilbon then said "Ohh I thought you were gonna say the White Sox."

Bob Ryan writes for the Boston Globe and is a Red Sox fan. Do you need to know more?

Hangar18
08-13-2003, 08:02 AM
Cleveland was tough that year, but they werent going to Pass us by. Montreal was the cream of the crop in then NL and had pitching, hitting, speed, defense and wouldve gone to their first every World Series and second for Canada. The Yankees were playing good that year, but if you remember, We had their Number that year, and Yanks were the only team that was going to get in our way. That was the one fleeting moment, that EVERYTHING was in line for the Sox to march into the Series and win it. The year before, we were merely one player short, and the sox went out and filled that void with julio franco, and man was he filling the bill hitting behind Thomas

ewokpelts
08-13-2003, 08:47 PM
what's done is done......we should worry about this year...as much as I hate Jerry for 94....he's better than Bud......