PDA

View Full Version : Random Thoughts while out last nite 8/11

Hangar18
08-12-2003, 09:20 AM
Some very SURPRISING news to report here. Surprising in the sense that If we are to believe what the Media, Radio/TV/Print say about sox fans (that there arent many of us, that this is a cub town, that there are probably twice as many cub fans as sox fans, which I think is bs, but cub fans hear this, then repeat it as truth) A bud of mine wanted to drink a beer and watch the game, so we made our way over to the Gin Mill on Lincoln Ave, and I (shouldnt be) was very shocked and happy to see the entire
back bar cheering for the Sox last nite vs the Angels. It was very loud during the "comeback" and I thought I was in the bizarro world. There are many sox fans out there, its just the combination of the Media bashing/sox not being good thats caused them to fall from the hearts and minds of the people of Chicago. I really wished they wouldve come back and taken the lead, considering how into it the whole Back Bar was. I mean, you guys had to hear how everyone was cheering for the sox, made me happy to see that. My buddy was very surprised by the whole thing too.
The curious thing about all of this, was there were a few cub fans in this bar, and one guy, tough guy, said he WASNT rooting for the sox, that he hated them and wanted Anaheim to win. I asked him did he notice how loud it was, and everyone was into it. He then admitted he was "slightly" rooting for the sox to win the game. very curious sight indeed

chuckn98229
08-12-2003, 09:31 AM
Got the Anaheim feed on MLB Extra-Innings last night and their announcers couldn't say enough good stuff about the Sox. Talked about Maggs and Frank and the addition of Everett and Alomar - all very complimentary. (Unfortunately, the Astros feed had the flubbie gruesome twosome: as karros runs (forward) to eventually miss a foul ball little stevie remarks how hard it is to catch a ball over one's shoulder (huh? were we watching the same game?))

bobj4400
08-12-2003, 10:07 AM
I must say that I agree with you Hangar. I have been out in the neighborhood (Bucktown-Lincoln Park-Old Town area), to see/hear many people are cheering for the White Sox, especially in the last few weeks with the Royals games...it has been especially noticeable, many times this season during games and been pleasantly surprised. Also the fact that these are North side neighborhoods make it even more impressive.

kempsted
08-12-2003, 11:35 AM
The respect is nice. In the A's broadcast of Saturday night they referred to us as the hottest team in baseball and when they were up 6-0 they said it wasn't enough against this Sox offense.

Viva Magglio
08-12-2003, 11:41 AM
SPRINGFIELD - I was in the hotel bar catching the second half of that disaster last night. Normally, the bar is playing music at that time but it had the Sox game on instead. There were a handful of people watching the game.

What is it with Anaheim? We always suck there! If I could, I'd trade those for games at Anaheim for four games at Yankee Stadium. I think we stand a better chance against the Yankmees in the Bronx than we do against the Angels in Anaheim.

Soon, I'll be on my way home back to Chicagoland. I'm sure this has been posted already, but does anybody know if North and Buffone got their crewcuts?

bobj4400
08-12-2003, 11:51 AM
Originally posted by ˇViva Mágglio!

Soon, I'll be on my way home back to Chicagoland. I'm sure this has been posted already, but does anybody know if North and Buffone got their crewcuts?

No crewcuts for those two bozos. I like Buffone, but pairing him with North's obnoxious @ss is a disaster. I dont listen to them, but tuned in yesterday to see if they would get buzz cuts. Of course, North was backpedaling faster than Deion Sanders. He started out arguing that when the Royals won before the Sox lost, the Royals had moved one percentage point ahead of the Sox. When a caller proved that he was incorrect on this point, he back pedaled further and claimed that the Sox were only in first place for about 24 hrs and 6 min. and he shouldnt have to be held to the 6 minutes. I was going to call in and argue that a bet is a bet and when you lose you pay up. Does a bookie say well you only lost the bet by a hook, so you dont have to pay??? But I didnt feel like arguing with North, so I just turned the station.

Viva Magglio
08-12-2003, 04:56 PM
Originally posted by bobj4400
No crewcuts for those two bozos. I like Buffone, but pairing him with North's obnoxious @ss is a disaster. I dont listen to them, but tuned in yesterday to see if they would get buzz cuts. Of course, North was backpedaling faster than Deion Sanders. He started out arguing that when the Royals won before the Sox lost, the Royals had moved one percentage point ahead of the Sox. When a caller proved that he was incorrect on this point, he back pedaled further and claimed that the Sox were only in first place for about 24 hrs and 6 min. and he shouldnt have to be held to the 6 minutes. I was going to call in and argue that a bet is a bet and when you lose you pay up. Does a bookie say well you only lost the bet by a hook, so you dont have to pay??? But I didnt feel like arguing with North, so I just turned the station.

North is inconsistent. Remember when we were in a tie for first place with KC but trailed them by percentage points. The following Monday, North said that first place tie was a close call for him. So he is applying two sets of criteria for the two times we were in first place.

CHISOXFAN13
08-12-2003, 05:01 PM
North said today that they were messing with everyone and will be getting the haircuts.

We'll see.