PDA

View Full Version : Pete Rose is back

SoxxoS
08-12-2003, 08:21 AM
Read all about it. (http://premium.baseballprospectus.com/article.php?articleid=2194)

LuvSox
08-12-2003, 08:23 AM
Our Turn (http://1919blacksox.com)

Shoeless Joe
08-12-2003, 08:27 AM
:shoeless

I hope they shine my plaque extra shiny!

Fisk72
08-12-2003, 08:34 AM
Somewhere, a frozen Ted Williams is gathering the troops. In due time, both Shoeless Joe and Buck Weaver will be reinstated.

Fisk72
08-12-2003, 10:30 AM
I'm very skeptical about this, considering that no other legit website has mentioned this story.

voodoochile
08-12-2003, 10:32 AM
Originally posted by Fisk72
I'm very skeptical about this, considering that no other legit website has mentioned this story.

The article even says that MLB denied the report. I will be very surprised if he is ever allowed to work for a team again...

Dadawg_77
08-12-2003, 10:49 AM
Originally posted by voodoochile
The article even says that MLB denied the report. I will be very surprised if he is ever allowed to work for a team again...

It say as long as he isn't involved in day to day operations. So no manager, no gm but the a team (Reds) could hire him to make public appearances, color man for broadcasts. Just can not have any official say on the baseball team field operations.

FJA
08-12-2003, 11:37 AM
DuPuy is denying everything in the report ... here is an ESPN link.

Link (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/story?id=1594520)

kermittheefrog
08-12-2003, 12:12 PM
Originally posted by voodoochile

What do you expect MLB to do say "Oh yeah this is exactly how to break the news". I mean I'm a little skeptical but I think I have to believe this if BP is reporting it.

Dadawg_77
08-12-2003, 12:40 PM
I need some reading comprehension skill classes, just saw that second line saying the employment restrictions will be lifted after a year. But some of this makes sense in a few ways, one Rose hasn't been changeling baseball as much as he did in the past. He wasn't around the induction ceremonies this year. Two, this story will overshadow the baseball season, thus having it come out now instead of a baseball dead news period, November, will not be the most beneficial to the business. Three, Pete Rose will mean certain short term money for a certain franchise which is struggling even with a new stadium right now. Four Selig doesn't want to be remembered for 1994, contraction rumors, tie games, or basically putting the game down every chance he had in order to win in the last CBA. He wants to be known as great commish who was great for the game. Brining Pete back, Bud feels is a step toward that direction. Five the sources at BP have been pretty good in the past but while it doesn't mean this is right, it hold some credibility because of historical performance.

Hangar18
08-12-2003, 05:20 PM
Thats OK. BEcause when all is said and done..... Im still going to remember Selig for Expanding into too many markets, then just a few yrs later, trying to Contract 2 team, tied all-star games, Committing a clear conflict of interest in telling a certain team they were about to be contracted (which led said team to not draft a certain highly touted pitcher because of his Exorbitant bonus demands) being right in the middle of the 94 strike, bogus
all star rules, planting the false and foolish notion that getting a new stadium would insure Competitive balance, Letting new Expansion Team Place themselves into the league of their choice and thus bypassing commissioners decree. Then Committing even more conflict of interest scenarios by then "volunteering" to move his daughters (puppet owner) Milwaukee Brewers to the National League, Allowing Rogue owner to abandon a franchise because they couldnt afford the expenses, (thus making MLB take ownership,) then allowing same rogue owner to "buy" another team despite abandonment of previous team. Covering up purchase by a second Rogue owner for LESS of a bid rather than allowing an independent ownership group who had an Actual HIGHER Bid purchase other team. yeah, Seligs
only been around a few yrs......but MAN has he left his mark....

Lip Man 1
08-12-2003, 07:49 PM
The Sporting News radio network was reporting that while MLB is denying the Rose story, Baseball Prospectus continues to state that their sources are solid and stands by the story.

Lip

kermittheefrog
08-12-2003, 09:56 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
The Sporting News radio network was reporting that while MLB is denying the Rose story, Baseball Prospectus continues to state that their sources are solid and stands by the story.

Lip

Which is exactly what is says on the Baseball Prospectus website...

Lip Man 1
08-13-2003, 12:52 AM
Of course one of the hosts on The Sporting News radio network Scott Wetzel, was saying Baseball Prospectus did this simply to draw attention to their web site.

I don't read any stat sites garbage so I don't know if this could be true or not.

Lip

voodoochile
08-13-2003, 01:33 AM
Sportscenter covered this story and even interviewed a guy from BP.com.

Here is what they reported...

1)MLB is till denying it (of course)
2)Pete's agent is denying it
3)BP.com has the story from 3 different people and they are standing by their story.
4)Jason Starks from ESPN - while not saying he thinks it is true - expects Pete to be reinstated this off-season - probably by the end of November.
5)The Reds want Pete to manage the team next year, but Starks is doubtful that it will happen that soon.
6)Starks says that the reinstatement deal will include an admission from Pete that he bet on MLB games, and that he is wrong, he is sorry and he won't do it again.