PDA

View Full Version : Look at this...an article actually saying the Urinal isn't all that...

hsnterprize
08-12-2003, 08:28 AM
If I didn't see this, I wouldn't believe it. It's only saying things that we've already known, but it's in the view of the players on the field, and not the drunken bums who go to the Cell and cause trouble for us Sox fans... (http://www.thetimesonline.com/articles/2003/08/09/sports/top_sports/3650dca0ba14450a86256d7c007e9d9a.txt)

xil357
08-12-2003, 09:05 AM
Originally posted by hsnterprize
If I didn't see this, I wouldn't believe it. It's only saying things that we've already known, but it's in the view of the players on the field, and not the drunken bums who go to the Cell and cause trouble for us Sox fans... (http://www.thetimesonline.com/articles/2003/08/09/sports/top_sports/3650dca0ba14450a86256d7c007e9d9a.txt)

I knew that the field conditions at the Urinal were bad -- but not THAT bad. Good to see that the media isn't totally infected with the blue cancer.

Further proving my point that despite the statistics (skewed by the fact that the Cubs woeful offense and good pitching play in all 81 annual games in that sorry excuse for a stadium), the Urinal is a homer-happy hitters' park because of the short fences, tiny foul territory, Sandberg basket, daytime heated rising air, high elevation in relation to most other MLB cities besides Atlanta and Colorado and crappy field conditions that wreak havoc on defenders.

You would think that with all the advantages of "knowing how to play" in such a crappy and idiosyncratic stadium would afford the home team, that the Cubs should have a better record than they have throughout the history of the franchise.

harwar
08-12-2003, 09:20 AM
I haven't been to wrigley in 20 years and i don't plan on going back anytime soon.The place is a poor excuse for a major league facility.
The media love to hype up fenway & wrigley as great historic places and "this is what baseball is all about"gets bandied about quite a bit.
Baseball had changed a lot and has moved on to a place where tradition is mostly just hype and just doesn't fit in very well.
If the truth were known and told freely our park(Sox Park)is so far superior to wrigley that a comparison is laughable.

adsit
08-12-2003, 09:54 AM
Originally posted by xil357
You would think that with all the advantages of "knowing how to play" in such a crappy and idiosyncratic stadium would afford the home team, that the Cubs should have a better record than they have throughout the history of the franchise.

Yet they have an atrocious home record this season. Were I TribCo, I'd be embarrassed that the Twins' double-A team in New Britain, CT, plays their home games in a more professional venue, with better amenities, than the Scrubs.

Instead, they'll probably fix these problems by purchasing the Hammond Times, thereby silencing the criticism. :D:

akingamongstmen
08-12-2003, 03:05 PM
I'm sorry to say that actually went to Wrigley last night to catch the game with some friends (one of my unenlightened amigos turned 21 and HAD to drink Old Style while watching his Cubbies...I made sure to continually point out how unrelentingly foolish he is). I had only been to one other game (when I was 7), so I had forgotten what it was like. Let me tell ya, that place is so amazingly overrated that I don't know where to start. I'll keep it short, though. I had a huge pole directly between me and the pitcher's mound. Their P.A. system sucks. The place is filthy and rotting from the inside. Plus, I was surrounded by people that blindly supported the Flubs (those poor saps). The last straw came when I got a bratwurst. My God, maybe I'm spoiled by Sox Park and their mouth-watering brats, but the Flubs don't even try. My brat was undercooked, cold, and on a squished bun. I had to fight back tears when choking it down. Of course, the product on the field didn't impress either. :D:

brewcrew/chisox
08-12-2003, 03:58 PM
"We've talked about that," he[Macphail] said. "It's really quite extensive. It's more of a money issue, and takes a lot of time. It (re-constructing the field) would take the entire offseason. You'd be relying on a pretty good winter."
(Castle, The Not So par23)

Man what bull. You are telling me that they can't renivate their park because it costs too much...they can't make their team better. Who is getting rich on this team? This has got to be one of the biggest sports scam operations in the history of Chicago sports....AND they are selling inflated tickets prices to their fans....

"I'm surprised we haven't had more outfielders come out of there with hurt ankles and blown-out knees because the outfield is kind of wavy out there," pitcher Kerry Wood said. "Even for a pitcher shagging out there, you can be running and hit a spot and you have another inch to go."
(Castle, The Not-So par25)

Comisky was a crook? Try the Tribune Corporation. These kind of dangerous conditions are inexcusable in modern day professional baseball.

Streets
08-12-2003, 06:47 PM
That's my local paper, I've been meaning to put it up here but seemed to have forgotten. How'd ya find it? I noticed you're not from NWI. It was nice to open up the paper and read those headlines, I just laughed.

DrCrawdad
08-12-2003, 07:50 PM
Originally posted by hsnterprize
...Link to article...[/COLOR] [/FONT] [/URL]

To the Cub fans reading this thread bear in mind that George Castle, the writer, is a Cub fan.

Castle has authored quite a few books on the Cubs including, "Why the Chicago Cubs Haven't Won a Pennant Since 1945."

http://images.amazon.com/images/P/1888698314.01._PE_PIdp-schmoo2,TopRight,7,-26_SCMZZZZZZZ_.jpg

hsnterprize
08-13-2003, 07:59 AM
Originally posted by Streets
That's my local paper, I've been meaning to put it up here but seemed to have forgotten. How'd ya find it? I noticed you're not from NWI. It was nice to open up the paper and read those headlines, I just laughed. Check out this site...they post links to stories about ballparks. (http://www.ballparksofbaseball.com)

I like checking the site out when I want information about new ballpark construction. Not to mention, I found articles about U.S. Cellular Field on the site, too. They weren't all that favorable, as you might expect, but when the Sox so something with their field, more than likely, BallparksofBaseball.com will post a link about it. The site also lets people rate ballparks, and turn in pictures to post.

davenicholson
08-13-2003, 09:00 AM
That's my local paper, I've been meaning to put it up here but seemed to have forgotten. How'd ya find it? I noticed you're not from NWI. It was nice to open up the paper and read those headlines, I just laughed.

Makes me proud that I used to deliver that paper!!! BTW, I still read the on-line version once in awhile. How else could I stay up on the dirt on my friends that stayed in The Region--like the story of the son of one of my high-school nemeses who got busted for selling cocaine!

chuckn98229
08-13-2003, 10:12 AM
Originally posted by davenicholson
Makes me proud that I used to deliver that paper!!! BTW, I still read the on-line version once in awhile. How else could I stay up on the dirt on my friends that stayed in The Region--like the story of the son of one of my high-school nemeses who got busted for selling cocaine!

Hey, I delivered it, too - in Lansing. Another region-rat!

davenicholson
08-13-2003, 04:52 PM
Originally posted by chuckn98229

Nice to hear from a fellow Region Rat! (I'm originally from Ham-bone.) And in those days, we had to go door-to-door to collect people's payments due. If I ever got more than a nickle for a tip, I think I would have fallen over my Schwinn Stingray. OTOH, 5 cents bought you a pack of Topps baseball cards, or a bag of Jays potato chips, or a push-up, so I guess I shouldn't complain too loudly!

Streets
08-13-2003, 05:42 PM

I don't think I've ever heard that term used for someone from Illinois. Hmm, yeah that is a first for this Regioner

chuckn98229
08-13-2003, 06:03 PM
It's a term of endearment for anyone from the Calumet Region (Hammond, Lansing, Munster, Griffith, East Chicago, Calumet City, etc.).

Streets
08-14-2003, 12:00 AM
It's a term of endearment for anyone from the Calumet Region (Hammond, Lansing, Munster, Griffith, East Chicago, Calumet City, etc.).

See now when people say The Region, it's normally taken as an Indiana thing, The Region being the nw corner of Lake county, from Gary on East. In my 20 years, that's how we've always said it. Of course there's the Calumet Region but when you're saying "the region" we're pretty much just talkin' NWI.

Gary Railcats slogan: It's a region thing!

davenicholson
08-14-2003, 08:34 AM
See now when people say The Region, it's normally taken as an Indiana thing, The Region being the nw corner of Lake county, from Gary on East. In my 20 years, that's how we've always said it. Of course there's the Calumet Region but when you're saying "the region" we're pretty much just talkin' NWI.

Gary Railcats slogan: It's a region thing!

I've always included places like Cal City and Lansing as being in Da Region. On the other hand, I've always been a little unsure as to how far south and east the distinction should extend. For example, I lived in Valpo for a few years, and when one of my friends there tried to assume the title of Region Rat, I had to say, "Umm, no."

But it's nice to correspond with fellow Rats, whether displaced or not!

chuckn98229
08-14-2003, 09:29 AM
This is really getting off topic - but ...

I think that Cal City and Lansing were originally 'suburbs' of Hammond, East Chicago, Whiting, and Gary. The majority of the people (years ago) worked at the refineries (my Dad at Standard) and the steel mills. If I am not mistaken, Cal City was once called West Hammond (I remember seeing that engraved on the old bank building on State Street (Sin Strip).