PDA

View Full Version : hear me out: When do Sox fans start rooting for the Cubs?

Irishlawyer
08-11-2003, 09:16 PM
Ok, I know this is way out there, but hear me out.

If you take the premise that the Sox will win their division and the further premise that they have a shot at making the World Series as true, then

you have to ask: "who would you most like to beat the crap out of in the world series?"

my answer is this: The Cubs.

Nothing would make my life more satisfied than to see the Sox and Cubs in a crosstown World Series and watch the Sox display their usual dominance against the North Siders in that series.

Frankly, living in Chicago would be hell for the 85% of the City that roots for the flubs - not to mention the idiots who lived through and lament the wonderous years of 69 and 84.

I would predict looting and fires all across the North Side. It would do my heart good.

Thus, do we ever wish for the Cubs to win in hopes that we would meet them?

FJA
08-11-2003, 09:19 PM
Originally posted by Irishlawyer

If you take the premise that the Sox will win their division and the further premise that they have a shot at making the World Series as true, then

you have to ask: "who would you most like to beat the crap out of in the world series?"

Nothing would make my life more satisfied than to see the Sox and Cubs in a crosstown World Series and watch the Sox display their usual dominance against the North Siders in that series.

Frankly, living in Chicago would be hell for the 85% of the City that roots for the flubs - not to mention the idiots who lived through and lament the wonderous years of 69 and 84.

I would predict looting and fires all across the North Side. It would do my heart good.

Absolutely not because, quite frankly, I never want the Cubs to make the WS.

Plus, what happens if we lose? I sure as hell don't want to know.

TornLabrum
08-11-2003, 09:24 PM

Sure. When hell freezes over.

Nick@Nite
08-11-2003, 09:25 PM

No

PaleHoseGeorge
08-11-2003, 09:30 PM
If the Sox are in, great! I'll be rooting long and hard. I really don't give two craps what the Flubbies are doing. In fact, if the Flubs were in the playoffs and the Sox weren't (like what occurred in 1984 and 1989), I would simply tune out or act mildly amused when the lovable losers deliver exactly what their fans want the most: the nonsensical affirmation that they're the best fans in the world because only idiots would think losing is cute.

cheeses_h_rice
08-11-2003, 09:31 PM

If this were to happen, sure, it would chafe Flub fans a bit that the Sox beat 'em, but I think just the fact that the hapless Flubbies even made the WS would be consolation enough for them, and would spur on future home attendance figures in the upper 2 millions for time immemorial. This is not a good thing.

This year, I root for, in order:

The Sox to win
The Royals to lose
The Twins to lose
The Flubs to lose

I wish nothing but abject failure and collapse on the North Side Baby Bears. It's nothing personal against everyone on that squad except for a certain big-headed right fielder; I just can't stand the organization and their "fans."

MarqSox
08-11-2003, 09:44 PM
As long as the Sox are winning, I don't care what the Cubs are doing. But unless they're playing the Twins or the Royals, I would never actively root for the Cubs. No sense in it. I could really care less who we beat in the World Series, as long as we win.

SoxFan76
08-11-2003, 09:48 PM
i wouldnt want a cubs sox WS, because if for some reason the sox lost, i would have to crawl into a hole. cubs fans wouldnt be satisfied with a WS win, they would rub it in to sox fans even more.

TornLabrum
08-11-2003, 10:09 PM
Originally posted by SoxFan76
i wouldnt want a cubs sox WS, because if for some reason the sox lost, i would have to crawl into a hole. cubs fans wouldnt be satisfied with a WS win, they would rub it in to sox fans even more.

As we would under the same circumstances. Did I just say that?

voodoochile
08-11-2003, 10:13 PM
I'll root for the flubbies when the following conditions are met...

1)The 100 year period comes to an end
2)The Sox win 2 World Series Titles.
3)The Sox outdraw the flubbies for 5 straight years
4)Flubbie fans start rooting for the Sox.

Dadawg_77
08-11-2003, 10:17 PM
Originally posted by TornLabrum

Sure. When hell freezes over.

Originally posted by voodoochile
I'll root for the flubbies when the following conditions are met...

1)The 100 year period comes to an end
2)The Sox win 2 World Series Titles.
3)The Sox outdraw the flubbies for 5 straight years
4)Flubbie fans start rooting for the Sox.

Hey Voodo, quite wasting bandwidth with redundant posts/

Jerko
08-11-2003, 10:44 PM
Never, ever cheer for the Cubs to win, ever. Even if they eventually have only one fan, if they EVER win we'll have to hear that person talk.

voodoochile
08-11-2003, 10:44 PM
Originally posted by Jerko
Never, ever cheer for the Cubs to win, ever. Even if they eventually have only one fan, if they EVER win we'll have to hear that person talk.

When they play the ALC or other AL teams that are in the WC hunt, then it's okay...

gosox41
08-11-2003, 11:06 PM

There's only one time I root for the Cubs and that's when they're playing a rival team that will benefit the Sox (ie any AL Central team or possible W.C. team.)

Other then that above scenario I'll never root for the Cubs. If I do that, it would be like cheating on my wife.

Bob

inta
08-11-2003, 11:51 PM
if the cubs made the world series with the sox, there would be so much media coverage on the cubs "finally doing it"

even if the sox swept the series, it would still be remembered as the series "the cubs finally made it back"

Thunderstruck30
08-12-2003, 12:38 AM
Originally posted by voodoochile

When they play the ALC or other AL teams that are in the WC hunt, then it's okay...

Yeah thats an exception.

fuzzy_patters
08-12-2003, 12:44 AM
There is no way I want to see the Cubs be the team the Sox beat in the World Series. When the Sox win the Series, I want all the attention to be on the Sox's accomplishment. However, any team that beats the Cubs in the Series will be overshadowed by the media's fawning over the "Lovable Losers" latest folly. Hardly anyone, outside of the winning team's fans, will care who won the Series. This is why the Cubs are a disgrace to baseball, and no Sox fan should ever root for that team.

FJA
08-12-2003, 01:11 AM
Originally posted by fuzzy_patters
There is no way I want to see the Cubs be the team the Sox beat in the World Series. When the Sox win the Series, I want all the attention to be on the Sox's accomplishment. However, any team that beats the Cubs in the Series will be overshadowed by the media's fawning over the "Lovable Losers" latest folly. Hardly anyone, outside of the winning team's fans, will care who won the Series. This is why the Cubs are a disgrace to baseball, and no Sox fan should ever root for that team.

Well said. :smile:

WhiteSox = Life
08-12-2003, 01:32 AM
With neither team right now looking too positive at winning their own respectively weak division can we please stop with all the damn Sox versus Cubs playoff threads?

Dan H
08-12-2003, 06:59 AM
Never, under any circumstances. Monday night against Houston is a perfect example of stupid Cubdom.

I will be the first to admit that Kerry Wood is an awesome talent. But what have the Cubs done during his march to 1,000 K's along with Sammy's march to 60+ homers? Nothing really. A stupid and worthless "wild card championship" that they needed a 163rd game to get. Get real.

Ernie Banks hit 512 homers and won two MVP awards. The Cubs won nothing and truly blew it in 1969. Ryno was supposed to be one greatest second baseman of all time. The Cubs won zero pennnats when he was perched there.

Individual achievements. The Cubs have had plenty and that's what their fans crave. They can have them. What do they need a World Series for?

chuckn98229
08-12-2003, 08:16 AM
Originally posted by cheeses_h_rice
If this were to happen, sure, it would chafe Flub fans a bit that the Sox beat 'em, but I think just the fact that the hapless Flubbies even made the WS would be consolation enough for them, and would spur on future home attendance figures in the upper 2 millions for time immemorial. This is not a good thing.

This year, I root for, in order:

The Sox to win
The Royals to lose
The Twins to lose
The Flubs to lose

I wish nothing but abject failure and collapse on the North Side Baby Bears. It's nothing personal against everyone on that squad except for a certain big-headed right fielder; I just can't stand the organization and their "fans."

Amen to that, Brother. My sentiments exactly!

Dick Allen
08-12-2003, 08:40 AM
Even if the Cubs were playing the Royals or Twins, I'd root for them to lose. That's how much I hate those cockroaches. If they were playing Hitler and the Nazis, I'd root for the Nazis.

jabrch
08-12-2003, 09:12 AM

I am in the gross minority that agrees with you. I agree for multiple reasons. First, I am a Sox fan. Then, I am a Chicago fan. I hate the Cubs in a Cubs vs Sox concept. But I would love to see a city series. I would be thrilled to see a Sox vs Cubs World Series....We'd win that easily!!!! They have so little hitting it is sad.

Mammoo
08-12-2003, 09:25 AM
I can observe the Cubs, but I could never root for them.

Besides, I have my doubts about the Sox winning the division. They have too many holes in the pitching staff; Garland, Schoeneweis, Koch, Fifth Starter. :(:

alohafri
08-12-2003, 09:35 AM
If the scrubs ever make it to the WS, I will have to pack up and leave Chicago. Believe me, the media frenzy is nearly unbearable as it stands now, and a WS appearance by the scrubs, whether they won or lost, would be the most hideous thing to happen to the Sox and Sox fans.

(Mrs. Aloha)

bobj4400
08-12-2003, 10:02 AM
The only thing to save last night from becoming a total disaster was the fact that the Cubs lost as well. And you are asking when to start rooting for the Cubs???

Beating the Scrubs in a World Series would be counterproductive in this backward city we call home. The media (both national & local) would fawn all over the Scrubbies and their lovable loser image. While our White Sox would virtually be forgotten in the media blitz to report about what old Agnes, who has been to every Scrub game since 1945 and sat in the same seat each time, thinks about her lovable Flubs finally making it back to the World Series.

:angry:

The answer is too NEVER root for that bunch of losers. EVER.

brewcrew/chisox
08-12-2003, 10:59 AM
If both teams made it to the WS, the city would burn to the ground (again).

Then, amongst the rubble and post-apocalyptic ruins of this once beloved city, the Sox would sweep the Flubs in glorious fashion.

:woo-woo

Can I still be in the Parade?

TommyJohn
08-13-2003, 10:28 AM
Originally posted by bobj4400
While our White Sox would virtually be forgotten in the media blitz to report about what old Agnes, who has been to every Scrub game since 1945 and sat in the same seat each time, thinks about her lovable Flubs finally making it back to the World Series.

:angry:

Good Grief. I can see it now:

REPORTER

"we're here LIVE at Wrigley Field with old Agnes, the world's
most dedicated Cubs fan. Agnes, how do you feel now that
our Cubs have made it to the series?"

OLD AGNES

"Well, I feel purty good, sonny. Heh heh heh. I attended my
first Cub game back in 1908, the last year they won the series.
Three-Finger Brown pitched and Tinker, Evers and Chance all
asked me out on a date. Heh, heh. They were so fresh. My,
what a time it was."

REPORTER

"You heard it from old Agnes. We'll be right back for more
interviews with geezer Cub fans, plus a history of all people
who have run out onto the field at that other Park on the
South Side where the American League World Series rep-
resentative plays."

Risk
08-13-2003, 10:51 AM
Never!!!!!
Never!!!!!
Never!!!!!
Never!!!!!
Never!!!!!

I'll swan dive off the top of the Sears Tower before I ever pull for the "Unlovable Losers"

Wait, now that I think of it, the only time I'll ever cheer for the Flubs is if the Yankees and Twins charter flights collide in mid-air and the fiery debris lands on the Flub's charter bus or on Wrigley Field. Now thats a Hollywood ending I could be proud of.

Risk

VaSoxfan
08-13-2003, 11:28 AM
I'd never root for the Cubs in any capacity, this year more than ever. It sickens me that there are fans nationwide, along with the media, that glorifies this useless franchise.

This year is another prime example. Every time Woods, one of the most overrated pitchers in history, does something, it's on front page news, except of course when he gets shelled which is more often then Cubs people like to admit.

The whole Sosa thing still burns me as well. You keep hearing in articles, etc how he's got as many HRs as Bonds, etc since the all-star break, etc. The big thing pro-Cubs people keep trying to sweep under the rug is that the man is a bat-corker. A cheater. Period. Sure he's got power. Where that came from will always be in debate. The guy was a stick figure at one point and now looks like the hulk practically. He refuses to take drug tests. That is all of course suspicion. But what is clear is that he's a cheater, a bat-corker, and a liar. His whole feeble attempt at explaining the cork was almost as insulting as using the cork itself. And yet the legions of mindless Cub fans, and sadly less knowledgeable people, still glorify the man, who is nothing more than a loser and a cheater.

That's just a few reasons why I would never root for the Cubs in a world series. I would however enjoy a Sox-Cubs series though. For two reasons. 1) The Sox always play well against the Cubs. 2) Since the Cell would potentially host 4 games, it will give the national TV audience plenty of opportunity to be reminded time and time again by the crowd that Sosa is a cheater and a bat-corker, and no matter what he does now or in the future, he always will be. I just pray for the day when he's caught again.

Hangar18
08-13-2003, 12:33 PM
The Media would Go WILD with Glee and would promptly IGNORE the sox. headlines would read CUBS IN WORLD SERIES: VS CHICAGO. The media would then focus on the lovable losers quest to beat the other team with Pee-Your-Pants Joy.

soxtalker
08-13-2003, 12:53 PM
If the Sox make the WS, there is no opponent I'd rather see than the Cubs. Yes, by rooting for that to happen along the way, I'm taking the risk here that (a) the Cubs would make it and the Sox wouldn't or (b) the Cubs would beat the Sox in the series. Those are not pleasant alternatives. But a Sox win over the Cubs would make up for the risk.

I lived in Boston for a few years. It was nice to be able to go to Fenway and cheer for the White Sox when they were in town. But the Red Sox fans were far more spoiled than either Cubs or Sox fans; they'd had several AL pennants, and always complained that they hadn't won the WS in so long. It never occurred to them that there were two teams that had been denied a WS championship longer than they had -- and BOTH of those teams reside here. If the Sox and Cubs could ever meet in the WS, that story will come out. The Cubs might have a bit more sympathy, as they haven't won for a few years longer, but it won't be much.

Tragg
08-13-2003, 12:56 PM

Too big of a risk to take - I will continue to root for them to lose every game.
I don't get particular pleasure out of beating them anyway - I do take pleasure when they win 68 games, however. It's sort of a long-term type of enjoyment.

PaleHoseGeorge
08-13-2003, 01:06 PM
I'm not sure how others here feel, but I equate "rooting" with "wishing" for whatever you're rooting for. Thus there is no way I could ever "root" (and thus "wish") the Cubs could face us in the World Series. In fact, there is no way I would ever root for the Cubs to make the playoffs.

This point ought to be obvious: as long as the Cubs are still alive, the Sox are the "other" team, the outcasts, and (if we ever met in the World Series) the villians, too. The Cubs haven't won since 1908. No matter how much suffering WE THINK we've gone through, the Flubbies will trump it. Nevermind that their fans actually ENJOY LOSING. After all, they are the only group of fans in any sport that labeled their team "lovable losers." Those idiots have perverted what the rest of humankind understands the purpose of "rooting" for a team to be.

Don't expect the media to make any distinction between our 86 years of pain and their 95 years of glee. We're raining on their parade, get it?

Stop wishing for the Cubs to make the playoffs. You might get it.

soxrme
08-13-2003, 02:18 PM
Pigs would fly before I would root for the cubs. The best years are when they finish last. Screw them, their fans, their media, their ballpark, and anything connected to them. :gulp:

JJAustin69
08-13-2003, 02:23 PM
Originally posted by soxrme
Pigs would fly before I would root for the cubs. The best years are when they finish last. Screw them, their fans, their media, their ballpark, and anything connected to them. :gulp: Ditto

ihatethecubs
08-13-2003, 06:31 PM

!what a gay post! i always want the cubs to do bad, i couldnt stand a cubs sox series, i can hardly handle the 6 games we play a year, i get really really pissed at cub fans and get really really mad when the sox lose to the cubs even once, a chicago world series would make me homicidal

voodoochile
08-13-2003, 07:28 PM
Originally posted by ihatethecubs
!what a gay post! i always want the cubs to do bad, i couldnt stand a cubs sox series, i can hardly handle the 6 games we play a year, i get really really pissed at cub fans and get really really mad when the sox lose to the cubs even once, a chicago world series would make me homicidal

Does anyone else think that the use of the word gay as a putdown is just sooooo gay?