PDA

View Full Version : Yikes! Here come the Twins...

LASOXFAN
08-11-2003, 05:43 PM
I was glancing at the Twins' remaining schedule. It's depressing. Of their remaining 45 games, 31 are with teams BELOW .500!!

Cleveland - 12
KC - 7
Anaheim - 6
Texas - 6
Sox - 7
Detroit - 7

I had looked at the schedule many times before and knew it was bad, just not this bad. They don't have to play particularly well to find themselves at the top when the dust settles. Plus they finish with 4 against Detroit while the Sox and KC are battling it out. And had they not had to face the Yankees when they were simply unbeatable, this race could well be over right now with the $%$#ing Twins leaving us in their wake.

Can anyone please put a positive spin on this bleak outlook?

CHISOXFAN13
08-11-2003, 05:49 PM
I'll give it a shot:

Aside from the constant beatings they put on the Tigers, the Twins haven't been very good. Hopefully they'll lose a cuple of those remaining games against the Tigers but even if they don't, they haven't played well against KC or the Sox all season.

I was getting worried myself until they could muster only a split against Baltimore.

I'm not worried because I think we're good enough to win 5 of 7 against them.

Randar68
08-11-2003, 05:49 PM
Originally posted by LASOXFAN
Can anyone please put a positive spin on this bleak outlook?

Well, the Twins always have fits with Cleveland and theyhaven't looked sharp against us the past couple series against them. In addition, Texas has been playing better lately and can beat the crap outta the ball (something the Twinkies can't do)

inta
08-11-2003, 06:07 PM
it's a concern, yes.

but they've played 3/4ths of a season, a majority of those games were against sub 500 teams, and they're still only treading water. they've done nothing to make me think they're going to suddenly turn it on and blow everyone away. they could be phased out by the end of this week.

Hangar18
08-11-2003, 06:11 PM
All the White Sox have to do, Is KEEP WINNING, just enough to STAY AHEAD OF THE TWINS. As long as they do that, we will stay in front of them. This should be enough MOTIVATION to keep the Sox FOCUSED on the Post Season. The other good thing is this is good "practice" playing Hi-Pressure Post Season type baseball in August September. This is the only way they Should/Can look at their schedule..... IF they do ANYTHING LESS, they will lose the division, simple as that. Springs a long time to sit around and think about what couldve/shouldve happened.
The Positive Spin is that the SOX CONTROL THEIR DESTINY.
If they want the Division, they will do the THINGS that need to be done to Ensure they come out on top. IF they dont,,,,they can give it away to the Twins/Royals. simple as that. (If Im Jerry Manuel, this is the SPEECH I use to Rally The Troops the rest of the year with)

RKMeibalane
08-11-2003, 06:24 PM
Originally posted by Hangar18
(If Im Jerry Manuel, this is the SPEECH I use to Rally The Troops the rest of the year with)

I agree, Hangar18, but there's just one problem. If you were Jerry Manuel, you would probably be asleep, and thus, unable to make a speech.

Foulke You
08-11-2003, 06:27 PM
I'm actually glad they have 12 games with Cleveland left. The Tribe has played the Twins real tough this year. I believe the Indians swept 3 from the Twinks at the Jake a few weeks ago.

Lip Man 1
08-11-2003, 08:46 PM
Now you know why I don't think this race will be decided until the final few days.

And the schedule is badly against the Sox. Like Duke of Dorwood said on another thread when you lose games to Tampa and Detroit and Cleveland and San Diego you eventually pay a price.

Lip

Lip

LASOXFAN
08-12-2003, 12:44 AM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
Now you know why I don't think this race will be decided until the final few days.

And the schedule is badly against the Sox. Like Duke of Dorwood said on another thread when you lose games to Tampa and Detroit and Cleveland and San Diego you eventually pay a price.

Lip

Lip

I hate to say it, but you're right. This could very well wind up being a season where we ponder what might have been had we been able to win even two or three more games. For some reason after Koch gave up the 3 run dinger in Tampa I had this nauseating feeling that this one could come back to haunt us. Hope I'm wrong.

FJA
08-12-2003, 01:02 AM
I hate to say it, but you're right. This could very well wind up being a season where we ponder what might have been had we been able to win even two or three more games. For some reason after Koch gave up the 3 run dinger in Tampa I had this nauseating feeling that this one could come back to haunt us. Hope I'm wrong.

I find it hard to believe the Royals will continue to play the Yankees like they played them tonight, but if the Royals can get the Yankees' number, we are in trouble. Previously, they have been pretty bad against good competition, and great against bad competition (read, Tigers, Indians). The only top team they still have to play is the Yankees.

Lip Man 1
08-12-2003, 01:26 AM
It's interesting you say that when there are some posters here at WSI who swear by all that's holy that the Royals are going to collapse.

The trouble is they've been saying it since June and it hasn't happened yet has it?

If the Sox can't win it (and I don't think they can) I hope the Royals DO. It'll be a great reward for a team that played with heart and guts and got the most out of what talent they had (as opposed to White Sox corpseball...)

I'll be VERY interested to hear what those Royals bashers have to say if K.C. is playing the Yankkes the first week of october. Wonder what excuse they'll give for the collapse not happening.?

The Royals aren't going anywhere and those fans better realize this. They have to start taking them as seriously as the Sox should be doing.

Lip

34 Inch Stick
08-12-2003, 09:00 AM
It's interesting you should write this when you have predicted that the Sox would collapse since February yet they are still in second place in August.

Of course it matters not one bit whether I as a fan take the Royals seriously. On the other hand it does matter that the Sox take them seriously. Now I am only a basher, but if I remember correctly the Sox just took 5 of 6 from the GREAT KC Royals.

Procol Harum
08-12-2003, 09:06 AM
The trouble is they've been saying it since June and it hasn't happened yet has it?

Correction--they've been saying it since April.

ma-gaga
08-12-2003, 09:11 AM
If the Royals closer gets his head on straight, they aren't going to collapse.

If the Twins starting pitching holds up, they aren't going to collapse.

Those two teams have such an easy schedule, it's not even funny. It's starting to look like the AL Central will be won by a team with more than 90 wins.

alohafri
08-12-2003, 09:44 AM
As has been said before, had the Sox beat the easy teams early on, we wouldn't be having this discussion.

Although the Sox have a tougher schedule the rest of the way than the Royals or Twins, there is a positive side to it. If the Sox end up winning the division IN SPITE OF having a tough schedule, then it will have been EARNED, and their chances of getting past the first round of the play-offs and into the WS will be much better. I would hate to see the same thing happen this year as happened in 2000.

(Mrs. Aloha)

Clarkdog
08-12-2003, 10:34 AM
Originally posted by alohafri
As has been said before, had the Sox beat the easy teams early on, we wouldn't be having this discussion.

Although the Sox have a tougher schedule the rest of the way than the Royals or Twins, there is a positive side to it. If the Sox end up winning the division IN SPITE OF having a tough schedule, then it will have been EARNED, and their chances of getting past the first round of the play-offs and into the WS will be much better. I would hate to see the same thing happen this year as happened in 2000.

(Mrs. Aloha)

I agree about earning it. I actually like the fact that the Sox have gotten hot now. When thier schedule is toughest. If they come out on top there is going to be a lot of confidence in that clubhouse.

If they don't - then we will be talking about not beating the Tampas and Detroits the way we should have. And Manuel will pay the price for that.

bobj4400
08-12-2003, 10:41 AM
Originally posted by Clarkdog
And Manuel will pay the price for that.

Hopefully. No matter what KW says, JR is still the owner, and Tinkerbell is under contract for next year. If this thing goes down to the wire, with the Sox losing out at the end, look for Tinkerbell to come back next year for another 1st half of resting half the starters twice a week.

Lip Man 1
08-12-2003, 10:50 AM
34 inch stick says: It's interesting you should write this when you have predicted that the Sox would collapse since February yet they are still in second place in August.

Folks:

I think a reality check is in order O.K?

The White Sox are in second place in the EASIEST DIVISION IN BASEBALL.

They are SIX GAMES OVER .500 despite being on fire since mid July. Not TEN GAMES OVER, or FIFTEEN GAMES OVER or TWENTY GAMES OVER...Six!

Frankly this isn't that much different from the 2001 club that won all of 83 games or the 2002 club that won all of 81 is it? For all the "talent" on this club the record should be much better don't you agree?

As far as me predicitng the Sox would "collapse" back in February the reality is they aren't in first place are they?

I'll be happy if they can just have a damn winning season. I plead guilty to getting caught up in the hype just like everyone else. I badly wanted to believe but when the Sox pull a stinker like they did last night, reality has a way of slapping you hard upside the head.

This team still has serious issues don't they? Let's not lose sight of that.

Lip

34 Inch Stick
08-12-2003, 11:09 AM
But we knew it was the easiest division in baseball before the season started and when you continued your gloom and doom.

If you would just be happy with a winning season then you must be thrilled being 6 games above .500 and in a pennant race.

I don't dillude myself into believing the Sox are great. I know they have problems that look like they will be long term problems.

However we are in a pennant race right now. Suspend disbelief for one month so that you may further enjoy existence. If they are out of it in one month, you can come back to reality and talk about next year.

I fear the Twins not for what they can do to us but for what they can do to the Tigers. I will disregard that fear until we are out of the race.

kempsted
08-12-2003, 11:38 AM
We are also third place in the wild card race behind Oakland and Boston. We have been the hottest team since the all star break and the second hottest team behind the Yankees since 6/4 - more than 2 months. The only problem is that the second hottest team since the all star break is the Twins. If they stay hot and we cool off ...

Chisox353014
08-12-2003, 12:49 PM
The Royals aren't going anywhere and those fans better realize this. They have to start taking them as seriously as the Sox should be doing.

Lip

:?: The Sox just won 5 out of 6 against KC. How much more serious can they get?

THE_HOOTER
08-12-2003, 01:03 PM
34 inch stick says: It's interesting you should write this when you have predicted that the Sox would collapse since February yet they are still in second place in August.

Folks:

I think a reality check is in order O.K?

The White Sox are in second place in the EASIEST DIVISION IN BASEBALL.

They are SIX GAMES OVER .500 despite being on fire since mid July. Not TEN GAMES OVER, or FIFTEEN GAMES OVER or TWENTY GAMES OVER...Six!

Frankly this isn't that much different from the 2001 club that won all of 83 games or the 2002 club that won all of 81 is it? For all the "talent" on this club the record should be much better don't you agree?

As far as me predicitng the Sox would "collapse" back in February the reality is they aren't in first place are they?

I'll be happy if they can just have a damn winning season. I plead guilty to getting caught up in the hype just like everyone else. I badly wanted to believe but when the Sox pull a stinker like they did last night, reality has a way of slapping you hard upside the head.

This team still has serious issues don't they? Let's not lose sight of that.

Lip

:whiner:

gosox41
08-12-2003, 01:06 PM

I can name a bunch of games where Sox players failed to execute or JM outmanaged himself yet again.

Last night's 10-8 loss against the Angels was a pefect example.

Bob

gosox41
08-12-2003, 01:07 PM
It's interesting you say that when there are some posters here at WSI who swear by all that's holy that the Royals are going to collapse.

If the Sox can't win it (and I don't think they can) I hope the Royals DO. It'll be a great reward for a team that played with heart and guts and got the most out of what talent they had (as opposed to White Sox corpseball...)

I'll be VERY interested to hear what those Royals bashers have to say if K.C. is playing the Yankkes the first week of october. Wonder what excuse they'll give for the collapse not happening.?

Lip

I think the Royals will collpase. Even if they don't collapse, the Sox still had a ton of chances to be ahead of them by 10 games or so in the standings.

On paper, the Sox are a ton more talented then the Royals. Whether the Royals win 75 or 90 games, it's still the Sox that blew this thing.

Bob

gosox41
08-12-2003, 01:11 PM
Originally posted by bobj4400
Hopefully. No matter what KW says, JR is still the owner, and Tinkerbell is under contract for next year. If this thing goes down to the wire, with the Sox losing out at the end, look for Tinkerbell to come back next year for another 1st half of resting half the starters twice a week.

If the Sox don't make the playoffs this season and JM comes back as manager next season, I will NOT be attending any games until he is fired.

Even if the Sox make the playoffs, I feel JM will be fired but we all know this won't happen.

Bob

LASOXFAN
08-12-2003, 02:00 PM
KW is bent on making this franchise a winner. I'm a convert. I wanted his head before the season even started but I've been pursuaded that he's willing to do whatever it takes to put fans back in the stands. Love him or hate him, I don't think you can question his commitment.

That said, I think JM will NOT be the manager should this team miss the playoffs or go quietly in the first round. KW was saddled with Jerry and he'll have the right and the power to demand his own manager. And you can bet that it will be someone who has some fire in the belly because that's what KW brings to the table.

34 Inch Stick
08-12-2003, 02:00 PM
Hooter why do you include me in on the crying. Ain't no crying coming from this corner. I am pulling up a stool and enjoying a three team race to the wire.

TornLabrum
08-12-2003, 02:25 PM
Originally posted by 34 Inch Stick
Hooter why do you include me in on the crying. Ain't no crying coming from this corner. I am pulling up a stool and enjoying a three team race to the wire.

As I mentioned in a previous thread, Sunday's game against the A's was important. How we follow up last night's loss will show whether that was a fluke or a pattern. As it stands now, we've lost 2 games to the Royals since Friday. They need to walk away from Anaheim with no less than a split for the series.

THE_HOOTER
08-12-2003, 04:02 PM
If they split, they better sweep Texas because the Twins are hot as hell.

I expect them to sweep Cleveland.

SpringfldFan
08-12-2003, 04:19 PM
Originally posted by gosox41
I can name a bunch of games where Sox players failed to execute or JM outmanaged himself yet again.

Last night's 10-8 loss against the Angels was a pefect example.

Bob

I tend to agree, but there was a little positive in the effort at the end. Consider it this way: had last nights game been played last year, the Angels would probably have won by something like, oh say...19 to 1. The sox had fight in them every inning (unlike last year) and had their starter able to tough it out even in one of his least sharp nights (again unlike last year).

We were one hit away from winning that game twice at the end last night (Alomar and Lee). Replay their at bats again and I bet they win and the world is 180 degrees different today.

Lip Man 1
08-12-2003, 08:01 PM
Hal says: They need to walk away from Anaheim with no less than a split for the series.

That's going to be very hard to do Hal, since the odds are pretty strong that Cotts is going to get hammered tonight.

Maybe like Manager Gandhi said he'll "mystify" the Angels.

Lip

gosox3072
08-13-2003, 10:05 AM
Originally posted by Hangar18
The Positive Spin is that the SOX CONTROL THEIR DESTINY.

Thats so true, we play KC and Min 7 times in the final 3 weeks, anything can a probably will happen