PDA

View Full Version : Sox Nation Unite!

IronFisk
08-11-2003, 11:48 AM
Now that we are really in a pennant race (2000 didn't qualify for me - over too quick), maybe its time to designate some watering holes as official WSI gathering sites to catch the remaining games. Looks like we have membership from all over, maybe it would make sense to identify a bar in each main county, and two or three in the city. Since I live in Lake County, IN, yes...this means those Hoosiers too.

Anyway, just a thought. I really hate watching these games with my cat, and inattentive 5-year old (wife simply leaves the room). If anyone else is up for this idea, lets get the ball rolling and nominate some sites!

Ciao :gulp:

34 Inch Stick
08-11-2003, 03:03 PM
The Cubby Bear.

alohafri
08-11-2003, 04:31 PM
That reminds me of the 2000 season. We went looking for a place on the Southside/southwest burbs to watch the game in Minnesota when the SOX clinched the division title. We drove around all over trying to find a place that had the game on. Everywhere we went, the stupid Bears game was on!! I expected something like that on the northside, but not in SOX territory!! :angry: We were really disappointed that they thought the Bears game was more important than the Sox clinching the division.
After that, we thought it would have been great if Comiskey Park had been able to open the Bullpen bar for the game.

Maybe the best thing to do is to post at WSI where you plan on watching the games and hope that others in the area will meet you there (also hope that the game is actually on and not pre-empted by a Bears game).

--Mrs. Aloha

thecell
08-11-2003, 04:46 PM
This is a good idea. Anyone from the Oak Lawn area?

FoulTerritory
08-11-2003, 04:48 PM
If there are any other Sox fans in Bloomington/Normal, please identify yourselves. I feel very alone. Would welcome a partner to drink beer with and talk sox at any bar.

Brad

Hangar18
08-11-2003, 04:54 PM
Very good idea indeed. Cheers for the Cubby Bear Suggestion heh heh, LMAO over here reading that. A sox friendly bar on the northside would have to be Yakzies on NClark street, and
Bw3 on Lincoln Ave. There are a number of sox fans ive seen that go in these 2 places to catch the game...... those are my North Side chicago suggestions.

mandmandm
08-11-2003, 04:56 PM
Originally posted by thecell

I live in Beverly but there is a place on the west side of Cicero just south of 95th street. The name escapes me but David Wills frequents the place and it would be a good Sox place.

FarmerAndy
08-11-2003, 05:03 PM

I go to T.C.'s Pub on Cicero fairly often. They have a ton of televisions and they turn off the jukebox whenever the Sox are on. The staff is really nice too.

FarmerAndy
08-11-2003, 05:04 PM
Originally posted by mandmandm
I live in Beverly but there is a place on the west side of Cicero just south of 95th street. The name escapes me but David Wills frequents the place and it would be a good Sox place.

T.C.'s is the place you're thinking of.

SoxOnTop
08-11-2003, 05:09 PM
Any Sox fans in Tampa, FL looking to congregate?????

FarmerAndy
08-11-2003, 05:16 PM
Originally posted by FoulTerritory
If there are any other Sox fans in Bloomington/Normal, please identify yourselves. I feel very alone. Would welcome a partner to drink beer with and talk sox at any bar.

Brad

I don't live there, but I visit quite often.

I'm a huge fan of drinking beer and talking Sox. I know most of the bars down there get kind of crowded at night, which isn't the best for watching a game. I think Lunker's usually has the games on though, and that doesn't seem to get too crowded. They have big-ass fish sandwiches too!

I'll shoot you a message next time I'm gonna be down there.

Brian26
08-11-2003, 05:19 PM
Any places downtown or in River North? Rock Bottom is literally steps from the Red Line.

Eddie Gaedel
08-11-2003, 05:26 PM
Lottie's is a good bar to watch the games. It's in Bucktown. It's not really a SOX bar but they have plenty o' TVs, a decent jukebox, good beer on tap, and the ladies that work there are easy on the eyes. There's usually a few SOX fans there.

Hangar18
08-11-2003, 05:27 PM
Originally posted by Brian26
Any places downtown or in River North? Rock Bottom is literally steps from the Red Line.

Rock Bottom is a good choice, good beer, but they dont put the
Volume up in there. but this is a GOOD choice.
These are the official nominations.......

Northside Bars should be Yakzies/Bw3.
Downtown bars should be RockBottom.

thecell
08-11-2003, 05:29 PM
Originally posted by FarmerAndy
I go to T.C.'s Pub on Cicero fairly often. They have a ton of televisions and they turn off the jukebox whenever the Sox are on. The staff is really nice too.

Us SW siders will have to get together for a beer or 7 and watch a game.

Eddie Gaedel
08-11-2003, 05:33 PM
Originally posted by Hangar18

Yakzies is too close to wrigley/lincoln park.
rockbottom is no good. it's not even close to being a sports bar.
bw3 is ok 'cause the wings are tasty, but it's in lincoln park.

i don't like lincoln park 'cause there are too many suburban visitors and there's no place to park.

FarmerAndy
08-11-2003, 05:34 PM
Are there any WSI folks living in the Naperville area? I just moved there. (and I'm starting to get the feeling that I stick out like a sore thumb in that town.) I know most of the downtown bars are trendy and crowded, but there's a little bar on Ogden called the White Tavern. I've only been in there a couple of times, but I know they have a couple of T.V.'s.

If anybody else is from the area and knows of any other good spots to watch games, please let me know. My roomate and I decided we would be more productive and creative if we didn't put a television in our house. I'm all for it, except it's killing me that I haven't been able to watch the games. I've just been listening to them on the radio. It would be cool to meet a few local Sox fans who would be up for watching the game at a watering hole every now and then.

FarmerAndy
08-11-2003, 05:37 PM
Us SW siders will have to get together for a beer or 7 and watch a game.

I usually take care of a few pitchers myself when I'm there! :gulp:

The next time I cruise up there, I'll post during the day. Hopefully we could get a decent size WSI crew together.

Hangar18
08-11-2003, 05:40 PM
Originally posted by Eddie Gaedel
Lottie's is a good bar to watch the games. It's in Bucktown. It's not really a SOX bar but they have plenty o' TVs, a decent jukebox, good beer on tap, and the ladies that work there are easy on the eyes. There's usually a few SOX fans there.

say, ive been there, that is a decent place to watch gms too.

I live basically downtown, so anything near north, near south
near west is easy enough for me hang out at. Wilky is also a downtown/south loop boy

Dadawg_77
08-11-2003, 05:41 PM

i don't like lincoln park 'cause there are too many suburban visitors and there's no place to park.

BW3 is also a Cleveland bar and official home of the Indians. So skip it.

A good north side bar might Celtic Crown, Western and Montrose. There is parking on side streets, and available via the EL, a few blocks south of the Montrose Brown Line stop. Plus great drink and food specials.

There are also a couple of nice places on Lincoln Ave which have TV's. Caught one game at the Wild Goose, Lincoln and Cullom (I think), solid bar with numerous tvs for its size.

FoulTerritory
08-11-2003, 05:43 PM
I don't live there, but I visit quite often.

I'm a huge fan of drinking beer and talking Sox. I know most of the bars down there get kind of crowded at night, which isn't the best for watching a game. I think Lunker's usually has the games on though, and that doesn't seem to get too crowded. They have big-ass fish sandwiches too!

I'll shoot you a message next time I'm gonna be down there.

Lunkers works for me.

Hangar18
08-11-2003, 05:45 PM

Yakzies is Very Sox Friendly. Hate to admit this, but this is a cubbie bar that has cubfans that like the sox too in there. Trust me. Also, bw3 has great wings, and the lincoln park thing isnt so bad, just have to park on LIncoln. easier than you think.

Eddie Gaedel
08-11-2003, 05:52 PM
say, ive been there, that is a decent place to watch gms too.

I live basically downtown, so anything near north, near south
near west is easy enough for me hang out at. Wilky is also a downtown/south loop boy

i'm sometimes at lottie's with brewcrew/chisox (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/member.php?s=&action=getinfo&userid=1633). i'll post here the next time i plan on going.

Hangar18
08-11-2003, 06:01 PM
Originally posted by Dadawg_77
BW3 is also a Cleveland bar and official home of the Indians. So skip it.

A good north side bar might Celtic Crown, Western and Montrose. There is parking on side streets, and available via the EL, a few blocks south of the Montrose Brown Line stop. Plus great drink and food specials.

There are also a couple of nice places on Lincoln Ave which have TV's. Caught one game at the Wild Goose, Lincoln and Cullom (I think), solid bar with numerous tvs for its size.

Celtic Crown is an excellent place! esp the pool tables.
the beer/food specials are unreal. I used to drink at wildgoose when I lived in the area. Ive met Terry Armour watching sox games at wildgoose. great wing special on mondays.
This should be the thread to watch the games out somewhere then...... Lotties, Celtic Crown, bw3 are all good ideas. Bdubbs is supposed to be an Indians bar, but it gets taken over by sox fans.

SoxOnTop
08-11-2003, 06:01 PM
Are there any WSI folks living in the Naperville area? I just moved there. (and I'm starting to get the feeling that I stick out like a sore thumb in that town.) I know most of the downtown bars are trendy and crowded, but there's a little bar on Ogden called the White Tavern. I've only been in there a couple of times, but I know they have a couple of T.V.'s.

If anybody else is from the area and knows of any other good spots to watch games, please let me know.

I was living in Glen Ellyn not too long ago. I don't remember any "Sox bars", but there are plenty of places in Naperville to watch the game.

Features (on Chicago and Washington) used to be a great place to watch the game until it turned too trendy. Plenty of TV's and peanuts.

White's is good old dive, but I've never watched the games there.

Pete and Johnies on Ogden (next to the Harley-Davidson dealer) usually has the Sox on.

Near Fox Valley off of Rt. 59 are The Fox and Hound as well The Foundry. Great for any sports.

Hope that helps.... :gulp:

Hangar18
08-11-2003, 06:08 PM
That Said, anyone want to watch the game Fri nite against TEXAS?

FarmerAndy
08-11-2003, 06:13 PM

YES!

Dadawg_77
08-11-2003, 06:14 PM
Here is a place I just found online.

http://www.millertimenetwork.com/en/viewDetail.do?id=111122&category=2

Crabby Kims, bar tenders in bikinis, and baseball atmosphere. I have never been there but doesn't sound bad, right around Irving Park and Western Ave.

Eddie Gaedel
08-11-2003, 06:17 PM

I'll try and be at lottie's (1925 W. Cortland). I'll confirm on Friday.

Hangar18
08-11-2003, 06:17 PM
Originally posted by Dadawg_77
Here is a place I just found online.

http://www.millertimenetwork.com/en/viewDetail.do?id=111122&category=2

Crabby Kims, bar tenders in bikinis, and baseball atmosphere. I have never been there but doesn't sound bad, right around Irving Park and Western Ave.

Been there, the "scenery" is quite nice.... I say Fri nite, bdubbs.
I can get them to get us the bigscreen to ourselves......DaDawg, Farmer you down?

FarmerAndy
08-11-2003, 06:19 PM
I can get them to get us the bigscreen to ourselves......DaDawg, Farmer you down?

Count me in. Shane will probably come out too.

voodoochile
08-11-2003, 06:40 PM

Friday night at BW3 on Lincoln to watch the Sox? Can anyone join this party, or are Mods excluded? :D:

I haven't had BW3 since I left OSU in 1984. I am so there...

Hangar18
08-11-2003, 06:49 PM
Originally posted by voodoochile
Friday night at BW3 on Lincoln to watch the Sox? Can anyone join this party, or are Mods excluded? :D:

I haven't had BW3 since I left OSU in 1984. I am so there...
Voodoo my man, cmon down! its an excuse for me to have some wings there too.

Dadawg_77
08-11-2003, 06:56 PM

I'll be there. Just look for the man who has had more tv time then anyone not on the field?

Ol Aches & Pains
08-11-2003, 07:21 PM
Originally posted by IronFisk
Now that we are really in a pennant race (2000 didn't qualify for me - over too quick), maybe its time to designate some watering holes as official WSI gathering sites to catch the remaining games. Looks like we have membership from all over, maybe it would make sense to identify a bar in each main county, and two or three in the city. Since I live in Lake County, IN, yes...this means those Hoosiers too.

Anyway, just a thought. I really hate watching these games with my cat, and inattentive 5-year old (wife simply leaves the room). If anyone else is up for this idea, lets get the ball rolling and nominate some sites!

Ciao :gulp:

Hell, my cat won't even watch, unless the Sox are playing Detroit, and then he roots for the Tigers.

Brian26
08-11-2003, 08:16 PM
If the wings are as good as Hangar says they are, I might have to hit that on Friday night too.

Viva Magglio
08-11-2003, 08:22 PM
SPRINGFIELD - What about Rogers Park? You know, there is a high concentration of White Sox fans in that North Side community. Hamilton's? Bruno's?

soxwon
08-11-2003, 08:30 PM
MITTYS- is a sox bar on narragansett(nagle) and montrose
actually 6436 w montrose chicago.

Dadawg_77
08-11-2003, 09:05 PM
Originally posted by ˇViva Mágglio!
SPRINGFIELD - What about Rogers Park? You know, there is a high concentration of White Sox fans in that North Side community. Hamilton's? Bruno's?

Hamiltons = Underage Sox Fan Bar

Hangar18
08-11-2003, 09:42 PM
Hamiltons? thats a Loyola bar, I know that place too.
You want to hear something scary? Ive drank at almost every bar mentioned here. Brian26, your gonna have to come meet with all of us this Friday...the Wings here are incredible. Theyve
got like 20 different sauces to throw on them, theyre Excellent.
Carribean Jerk (not sammy either) is the best sauce I think

Hangar18
08-11-2003, 09:45 PM
speaking of bars, I was just going to chill out at home, a couple guys I know are getting Pennant Fever (realistic pennant fever, not like cub fans when they win 2 in a row, theyre talking about the lines for world series tickets) so now Im being dragged out in a couple mins here to watch the game somewhere in Wicker Pk
Cleos I think...............

bobj4400
08-12-2003, 09:56 AM
Originally posted by Brian26

In River West, J. Patrick's (Erie & Noble) is a good place to watch the games. Half the staff are Sox fans and the other half are Cub fans. Watching the Jose Valentin HR Sox-Cub game in there this summer was unbelievable.

bobj4400
08-12-2003, 09:59 AM
i'm sometimes at lottie's with brewcrew/chisox (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/member.php?s=&action=getinfo&userid=1633). i'll post here the next time i plan on going.

Agreed on Lotties's being a good place to watch games. It doesnt hurt that I live about 4 blocks from there either!!

bobj4400
08-12-2003, 10:03 AM
speaking of bars, I was just going to chill out at home, a couple guys I know are getting Pennant Fever (realistic pennant fever, not like cub fans when they win 2 in a row, theyre talking about the lines for world series tickets) so now Im being dragged out in a couple mins here to watch the game somewhere in Wicker Pk
Cleos I think...............

Cleos is a great place...25 cent wings on Monday night I believe.

Doobie148
08-12-2003, 06:26 PM
If you're looking for a bar in Morton Grove, check on Bringer Inn on Lincoln near the Metra station. It's a great neighborhood bar and the owner is a HUGE Sox fan. Drinks are cheap and they have great food during the week. They also have the baseball package and a bunch of tvs if you're into fantasy like me. A note on Mitty's: I used to hang out there and it was a great bar until the owner decided to turn it into a Polish nightclub and hired bartenders that don't speak English. Not that there's anything wrong with that...

I know it's only my first post but I love the banana!

Daver
08-12-2003, 06:30 PM
Originally posted by Doobie148

I know it's only my first post but I love the banana!

Hey welcome aboard! :redneck

Acid
08-12-2003, 08:23 PM
Right outside Fort Lauderdale, way down south. Anyone? anyone? buller? anyone?

Daver
08-12-2003, 08:24 PM
Originally posted by Acid
Right outside Fort Lauderdale, way down south. Anyone? anyone? buller? anyone?

Hey welcome aboard! :redneck

Bucktown
08-12-2003, 08:32 PM
Anyone in the Appleton area (or within an hour's drive)? I am buying the wings...

QueerGirrl
08-13-2003, 10:09 AM
Can we please keep this thread going!!! I can't make this Friday :(: but I definately want to get together soon and meet you guys. I live in Edgewater but I'm use to drinking all over the city so I can meet anywhere.

Let's go Sox!!!!

voodoochile
08-13-2003, 11:45 AM
Originally posted by QueerGirrl
Can we please keep this thread going!!! I can't make this Friday :(: but I definately want to get together soon and meet you guys. I live in Edgewater but I'm use to drinking all over the city so I can meet anywhere.

Let's go Sox!!!!

Why not just start a weekly thread, or if you are going out, post it so people can come meet with you.

I live in Edgewater too - near the Dominicks on Broadway...

Hangar18
08-13-2003, 11:50 AM
Theres a cool bar up there, Clark and Foster, always forget the name.....(plus the one that just opened too)

Hullett_Fan
08-13-2003, 11:55 AM
Rock Bottom is a good choice, good beer, but they dont put the
Volume up in there. but this is a GOOD choice.
These are the official nominations.......

Mother Hubbard's is our River North spot.

Been to YakZies on Clark once or twice...that's good too (do I know you Hangar??? :D: )

QueerGirrl
08-13-2003, 12:37 PM
Why not just start a weekly thread, or if you are going out, post it so people can come meet with you.

I live in Edgewater too - near the Dominicks on Broadway...

That's my Dominicks!! I'm on Kenmore and Granville.

voodoochile
08-13-2003, 01:08 PM
That's my Dominicks!! I'm on Kenmore and Granville.

I'm at Glenlake and Winthrop... Too funny. There is a lady who lives in my building who works for the Sox or at least she did last year.

QueerGirrl
08-13-2003, 02:13 PM
I'm at Glenlake and Winthrop... Too funny. There is a lady who lives in my building who works for the Sox or at least she did last year.

NO WAY!!! This is sooo cool!!! We definiately have to meet up and root for the Sox!

whitesoxwilkes
08-13-2003, 02:20 PM
Originally posted by Hullett_Fan
Mother Hubbard's is our River North spot.

Been to YakZies on Clark once or twice...that's good too (do I know you Hangar??? :D: )

Mother Hubbard's is a great call. I'll meet there sometime!

voodoochile
08-13-2003, 02:47 PM
NO WAY!!! This is sooo cool!!! We definiately have to meet up and root for the Sox!

Sure. I think this may become a regular thing with the Sox in the playoff hunt...

Hullett_Fan
08-13-2003, 04:21 PM
Originally posted by whitesoxwilkes
Mother Hubbard's is a great call. I'll meet there sometime!

Sounds good...I'll let you know when. Probably a game or two during next road trip (Aug. 26-27 when we play @NY Yankmees).

doublem23
08-13-2003, 04:41 PM
Don't know if anyone's mentioned it (as I've only read through abour 1/2 this thread), but is Shoeless Joe's still there in Rosemont? Supposedly, that's the best place to watch the Sox if you're from NW Chicago/suburbs.

Never been there, can't comment. :?:

Hullett_Fan
08-13-2003, 04:45 PM
Originally posted by doublem23
Don't know if anyone's mentioned it (as I've only read through abour 1/2 this thread), but is Shoeless Joe's still there in Rosemont? Supposedly, that's the best place to watch the Sox if you're from NW Chicago/suburbs.

I remember hearing that ad on the radio all the time (maybe during Steve & Gary show??). I've never been there, but I did a quick look on Yahoo Yellow Pages and it's still listed...10290 Higgins Road.

bobj4400
08-13-2003, 04:48 PM

I was in there with a friend from Park Ridge to watch a Bears game last winter, and before a Marquette hoops game at the Rosemont v. DePaul in February...both times it was a lot of fun. Dont live in the 'burbs, or I would go there more often. Good looking young waitstaff!!!

Hangar18
08-13-2003, 04:52 PM

Ive been there, the guys that run the Joint are big SoxFans, but doesnt mean they turn ALL THE TVS on to the game. I went in twice to Test their Theory, but all they did was go ahead and put them on a tv there, meanwhile, Having every other game in the MLB on in there too. I remember thinking the place shouldve had MORE SOX Memorabilia, More SOX Jerseys, More SOX related themes in the place, but its got Bears stuff, NFL stuff, Hockey things, Miller signs all over the place, your average sports bar with a former sox star for a Name. now this was during last season, so Im not sure what the place is Like now.........

Hullett_Fan
08-13-2003, 05:01 PM
Originally posted by bobj4400
Good looking young waitstaff!!!

Awesome!!! I'll definitely catch a game there before the season ends. Thanks for the info.

:D: :gulp:

QueerGirrl
08-13-2003, 05:16 PM
Originally posted by Hullett_Fan
Sounds good...I'll let you know when. Probably a game or two during next road trip (Aug. 26-27 when we play @NY Yankmees).

You can count me in!!