PDA

View Full Version : Redeye article

Fisk72
08-11-2003, 10:16 AM
I couldn't find a link, but there was an article in the Redeye sports section about the anti-cub tshirts and whatnot right outside Sox Park after beating KC last week. The guy said we didn't show a lot of class by chastising the cubs since we're going after KC and the Twins for the playoff sport. Just thought I would see how you guys feel about it (for those who read it, I suppose).

gosox41
08-11-2003, 10:19 AM
Originally posted by Fisk72
I couldn't find a link, but there was an article in the Redeye sports section about the anti-cub tshirts and whatnot right outside Sox Park after beating KC last week. The guy said we didn't show a lot of class by chastising the cubs since we're going after KC and the Twins for the playoff sport. Just thought I would see how you guys feel about it (for those who read it, I suppose).

I don't read the paper, but I think it was one of the Score radio guys that wrote it. It was either Lawerence Holmes or J. Hood. Whichever it was, he hyped it on his radio show last night, like he was a literary genius writing to a bunch of Rhodes Scholars.

I could care less what Sox fans wear as long as they keep coming to the ballpark

Bob

jabrch
08-11-2003, 10:21 AM
Originally posted by Fisk72

That would be major hypocrisy...as (outside of) Wrigley sells just as many anti Sox shirts....

I bought a great one last time I was at Comiskey. It has the Cubs logo but says CORK instead of Cubs. The backs says Sammy Sosa Lumber Company but Lumber is scratched out and replaced with Cork! Thats a nice use of $10!

MarqSox
08-11-2003, 10:37 AM
I can understand the argument, but it's faulty nonetheless. It's like saying you shouldn't wear, say, a Sox jersey at a Bears game because that isn't showing proper support for the team on the field.

I would accept the argument that it's "more right" to wear a Royals Suck T-shirt than a Cubs Suck T-shirt nowadays, but it's not wrong to hold fast to one's longtime allegiance. But as long as fans aren't being fickle, which it seems to me they aren't, I don't have a problem with it.

Iwritecode
08-11-2003, 10:48 AM
Originally posted by jabrch
That would be major hypocrisy...as (outside of) Wrigley sells just as many anti Sox shirts....

I bought a great one last time I was at Comiskey. It has the Cubs logo but says CORK instead of Cubs. The backs says Sammy Sosa Lumber Company but Lumber is scratched out and replaced with Cork! Thats a nice use of $10!

Not to nitpick but it's the back that says CORK and the front that says Sosa Cork Company. I bought one during the Sox/Cubs series and was surprised to hear they are still selling them even now. I figured it was just something special for that series.

If they've been selling them for that long, why is this guy just now making a big deal about it? The Cubs Magic #911 shirts have been around forever. Why doesn't he also mention the anti-Sox shirts? I've seen plenty of those roaming around the last few years too.

Personally, I don't think it's really that big a deal. I bought a hat, another shirt plus all the money I spent on tickets, food, parking, etc... when I went to the game where I bought that shirt. So it's not like I wasn't out supporting my team. I just happen to have an extra 10 bucks so I grabbed one of the shirts as a spur of the moment decision. I usually wear my Sox hat with it so there's no confusion.

cheeses_h_rice
08-11-2003, 10:59 AM
Breaking news: Entrepeneurs trying to make money! Film at 11!

Viva Magglio
08-11-2003, 11:25 AM
Originally posted by cheeses_h_rice
.....Film at 11!

SPRINGFIELD - With apologies to cheeses, this line is so lame. First of all, they don't use film anymore in television news. Second, our news is at 10:00. Someday, I should post a poll in the Parking Lop asking what phrase is the stupidest or most out of date.

As for those shirts, I do not believe in wearing them. I admit that the cork shirts amuse me, but the reason I never wear shirts like that is because I am more interested in rooting for our team than cheering against the other team. I do not know the intent of the people who wear those shirts, but it suggests a possibility that they are more interested in hating the Cubs than cheering for the Sox. I choose to wear apparel that says "WHITE SOX" and/or "ORDOŅEZ" on them instead of "CUBS SUCK" or "CORK." The White Sox winning is priority No. 1.

Having said all that, I do think that any Cub fan who says Sox fans should not have those shirts is a hypocrite. That is because around Wrigley Field there are for sale similar anti-Sox shirts.

inta
08-11-2003, 11:57 AM
you can go up to ANY of those vendors and ask them if they have "sox suck" or "the big skirt" shirts and they'll pull them out from beneath the counter. i witnessed it first hand when some girls told a vendor they were really cub fans at the cell with their boyfriends.

they are all part of organizations that hit up all sorts of games and events... not just sox games.

whoever wrote that article is a jackass, why doesn't he actually focus on the pennant race instead of t-shirts?

Soxfan7070
08-11-2003, 12:12 PM
Originally posted by gosox41
I don't read the paper, but I think it was one of the Score radio guys that wrote it. It was either Lawerence Holmes or J. Hood. Whichever it was, he hyped it on his radio show last night, like he was a literary genius writing to a bunch of Rhodes Scholars.

I think it was Lawerence Holmes from the Me & Z show. He gave the Score listeners a little prevew of his article...