PDA

View Full Version : 10 Year Anniversary

LuvSox
08-11-2003, 06:05 AM
:nolanventura

August 4th was the 10th anniversary of the Ryan/Ventura bout. I remember watching the game and thinking "No Robin, NO! Go back, go back!"

LuvSox
08-11-2003, 06:09 AM
Actually, today is the 12th ann. of the Alvarez no-hitter. Awesome.

HURT35
08-11-2003, 03:09 PM
Only wish Ventura would not have run out of steam by the time he got to Ryan. Don't forget Ryan had a history of drill jobs with that Sox team going back to the 1990 season.
1. Grebeck (who had 1 homer and hit like .150 that year) and Guillen went back to back against him in the old park in July-ish of 1990 and Ryan waited until the following week in Texas to drill Grebeck. In the brawl that followed after the Sox retaliation, Ryan never left the dugout.
2.He also initiated a brawl in spring training one year after a drilling a Sox non roster type that had the audacity to take him deep.
3.I am fairly certain that there were more than these two incidents prior to that night in 1993.

I admired Ventura's stones to stand up against the "intimidation tactics" of Ryan. Unfornately the outcome fed the "Ryan mystique/legend" for the media types and he became some baseball George Foreman and Ventura became a punch line for awhile. Just a guess, but I bet if you would have taken a poll of players in 1993, the vast majority would have loved to have seen Ryan taken down several pegs. If your going to be a head hunter than expect someone to come after you. Again, only wish it ended up different. Not that he wasn't a very good pitcher for a long time, but he certainly wasnt the St. Nolan that got jammed down our throats the last few years of his career. At the risk of creating a whole 'nuther topic, in my mind his level of "greatness" has been exagerated over the years as well.

thecell
08-11-2003, 03:47 PM
Originally posted by HURT35
Only wish Ventura would not have run out of steam by the time he got to Ryan. Don't forget Ryan had a history of drill jobs with that Sox team going back to the 1990 season.
1. Grebeck (who had 1 homer and hit like .150 that year) and Guillen went back to back against him in the old park in July-ish of 1990 and Ryan waited until the following week in Texas to drill Grebeck. In the brawl that followed after the Sox retaliation, Ryan never left the dugout.
2.He also initiated a brawl in spring training one year after a drilling a Sox non roster type that had the audacity to take him deep.
3.I am fairly certain that there were more than these two incidents prior to that night in 1993.

I admired Ventura's stones to stand up against the "intimidation tactics" of Ryan. Unfornately the outcome fed the "Ryan mystique/legend" for the media types and he became some baseball George Foreman and Ventura became a punch line for awhile. Just a guess, but I bet if you would have taken a poll of players in 1993, the vast majority would have loved to have seen Ryan taken down several pegs. If your going to be a head hunter than expect someone to come after you. Again, only wish it ended up different. Not that he wasn't a very good pitcher for a long time, but he certainly wasnt the St. Nolan that got jammed down our throats the last few years of his career. At the risk of creating a whole 'nuther topic, in my mind his level of "greatness" has been exagerated over the years as well.

Just imagine if he was a flub!

TommyJohn
08-11-2003, 11:02 PM
Originally posted by HURT35

Thanks, Hurt. I thought I was the only one who remembered
that Ryan drilled Grebeck a week after Grebeck hit a homer
off him. Ryan was a headhunter, pure and simple. Unfortunately
we had to put up with the crap that you mentioned, the "Ryan
Mystique;' what a great, tough pitcher he was and blah, blah
blah. In truth, he was the baseball equivalent of a lowlife thug.

Bisco Stu
08-12-2003, 01:09 AM
Easily the most overrated athlete in sports history.

Still can't believe he's second to Tom Terrific for HOF voting percentage.

Ryan owes his only ring to the true master, Tom Seaver.

JJAustin69
08-12-2003, 01:30 AM
Ventura shouldn't have let up. When he quit charging, it gave Ryan a chance to take the initiative and grab him in that headlock. Within a week, they were selling plaques with that picture on it all over Texas. I am not kidding. Sold pretty well too. Very humiliating for me as a Sox fan in Texas.

akingamongstmen
08-12-2003, 01:51 PM
Robin should have went low. Ryan would have been on his back before he could say "Advil." Remember: When in doubt, go for the knees.