PDA

View Full Version : Sox Pitching / Trib Story

Lip Man 1
08-10-2003, 10:49 PM
Bill Jauss of the Tribune has just come out with a story on various Sox things.

Part of it deals with the pitching situation...

"Rumors persist that the Sox are trying to obtain a veteran pitcher who could serve both as a spot starter and a relief man.

"Manuel had said the Oakland series probably would determine whether the Sox had to add another pitcher.

"If we go deep into the games with our starters, we'll be OK," he said. "If we hit a little bump in the road, then obviously we'll need somebody."

Manuel said after Sunday's game that the Sox still might acquire another pitcher but that he would not switch to a four-man rotation.

Looks like they now HAVE to pick someone up.

Lip

manuelsucks
08-10-2003, 10:55 PM
I really think that before the Sox go looking for a veteran pitcher, they should wait to see how Cotts pitches. He could get rocked like some people think, or he could do some good and maybe help the Sox win a few.

Every day Manuel seems to amaze me. What is wrong with a four man rotation if you need too. The guys seem to think they can do it, and if they can, why not. The weakness could be Garland, becuase he seems to be falling off, but I think he might be able to rebound if he really works at it.

Thats my two cents.

gosox41
08-10-2003, 11:51 PM
Originally posted by manuelsucks
I really think that before the Sox go looking for a veteran pitcher, they should wait to see how Cotts pitches. He could get rocked like some people think, or he could do some good and maybe help the Sox win a few.

Every day Manuel seems to amaze me. What is wrong with a four man rotation if you need too. The guys seem to think they can do it, and if they can, why not. The weakness could be Garland, becuase he seems to be falling off, but I think he might be able to rebound if he really works at it.

Thats my two cents.

I don't think a 4 man rotation is a good idea this late in the season. Maybe I've overthining it, but I don't want to see the Sox Big 3 where themselves out by mid September. Are they conditioned to do this??

Also, I don't want to mess with what's working for these guys. Having 4 days off between starts all year gets these guys in a routine and I wouldn't want to mess with that.

I would consider a 4 man rotation for next year's team. Let them condition themselves properly all winter and get ready for it. I don't see it happening, but it could be successful.

Bob

Meixner007
08-11-2003, 12:43 AM

Thats my two cents.

I thought I remember reading somewhere that everybody is open to a 4 man rotation except for CY. I wouldn't want to get him out of his groove right now.

Mo308oM
08-11-2003, 01:34 AM
Originally posted by Meixner007
I thought I remember reading somewhere that everybody is open to a 4 man rotation except for CY. I wouldn't want to get him out of his groove right now.

yea i really dont want to see him fall outta his winning ways... esp rt now when these games are hella crucial.

MarqSox
08-11-2003, 07:43 AM

Thats my two cents.

An August pennant race is not the time to rely on rookie starting pitchers. Simple as that, I don't care how good their stuff is.

As for a 4-man rotation ... I don't think that's something you can criticize Manuel over. It might work, but there's no guarantees either. This isn't like bringing in Billy Koch in a 1-0 game -- a 4-man rotation is really a true judgment call that could end up going either way.

Just because the pitchers want to do it (although don't underestimate the importance of your ace having doubts) doesn't mean you should do it. If Colon said he wants to pitch on three days' rest the rest of the season, would that be a good idea? Hell no.

Disagree with Manuel on this, fine, but don't approach it as "this is a foolproof plan that Manuel is an idiot for passing up."

TornLabrum
08-11-2003, 08:09 AM
Originally posted by MarqSox
An August pennant race is not the time to rely on rookie starting pitchers. Simple as that, I don't care how good their stuff is.

As for a 4-man rotation ... I don't think that's something you can criticize Manuel over. It might work, but there's no guarantees either. This isn't like bringing in Billy Koch in a 1-0 game -- a 4-man rotation is really a true judgment call that could end up going either way.

Just because the pitchers want to do it (although don't underestimate the importance of your ace having doubts) doesn't mean you should do it. If Colon said he wants to pitch on three days' rest the rest of the season, would that be a good idea? Hell no.

Disagree with Manuel on this, fine, but don't approach it as "this is a foolproof plan that Manuel is an idiot for passing up."

If Manuel went to the 4-man and it failed as badly as it did in Cincinnati earlier this season, you can be sure that there would be cries that this was the ultimate low in tinkering.

Hangar18
08-11-2003, 08:47 AM
The Oakland series to determine the need for another pitcher?
Thats not a good barometer,,,,if anything, the Yankees/RedSox series would be better to judge this on. Even then, I say we still get that other pitcher, because KOCH is NOT going to help
us down the stretch, and thats better than him HURTING us down the stretch. the YANKEES are who we should be modeling trying to beat, because theyre making the same moves we are....
and no matter what, theyre going to be one of the last 2 standing....