PDA

View Full Version : Tribune: "Good vibes on South Side"

MarqSox
08-10-2003, 10:04 PM
This is a pretty decent column (http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-030810mcgrathsox,1,6813785.story?coll=cs-whitesox-headlines) by Dan McGrath, the Tribune sports editor.

He's a Marquette guy, so I don't want to bash him too much, but he did have a couple paragraphs I took exception to.

The crowd picked up on the baseball-as-it-was-meant-to-be-played vibe, greeting Buehrle with a nice ovation after the eighth inning and sending him out for the ninth with another. These could not have been the same petulant whiners who booed Buehrle earlier this year, when he bottomed out at 2-10. He's now 10-11, which speaks to his competitiveness as much as his skill.

He had 39 major-league wins in his pocket before he was 24, and he gives you a good chance to win every time he takes the mound. You do not boo Mark Buehrle. You don't think Kansas City or Minnesota would feel better about its chances with Buehrle at the front of the rotation? Or Bartolo Colon or Loaiza?

We've dissected the Buehrle booing plenty on this board, and I think the general consensus is that it was warranted. It's too bad many in the media don't understand that.

Lip Man 1
08-10-2003, 10:35 PM
From what Bob Vanderberg told me McGrath is actually the Tribune Sports Editor, the head honcho.

He's from the South Side and has been a Sox fan all his life.

Bob talks about him in his interview with WSI.

Lip