PDA

View Full Version : Thank God

RKMeibalane
08-10-2003, 07:08 PM
Thomas to Play 1B on Roadtrip (http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/cws/news/cws_news.jsp?ymd=20030810&content_id=474313&vkey=news_cws&fext=.jsp&c_id=cha)

RKMeibalane
08-10-2003, 07:20 PM
The link has been fixed. Sorry for the confusion.

Assuming that this move actually takes place (who knows with JM), this is exactly what the Sox need to really catch fire and take over the division. A red-hot Frank will make a huge difference during these final six or seven weeks of the season.

PaleHoseGeorge
08-10-2003, 08:09 PM
What I find bizarre is the way Frank talks about this subject like it's his decision on whether he plays first base or DH. Unless he misspoke (and Frank does it regularly), I'm not sure whether to be more pissed off at the ballplayer who is too chicken**** to play first base, or the manager who would let him choose for himself.

:angry:

Frank is a better hitter when he plays first base. That is all the reason in the world for the manager to put his foot down and play him there, and more than enough reason for the ballplayer to accept the role and deal with the success.

RKMeibalane
08-10-2003, 08:19 PM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge
What I find bizarre is the way Frank talks about this subject like it's his decision on whether he plays first base or DH. Unless he misspoke (and Frank does it regularly), I'm not sure whether to be more pissed off at the ballplayer who is too chicken**** to play first base, or the manager who would let him choose for himself.

Frank is a better hitter when he plays first base. That is all the reason in the world for the manager to put his foot down and play him there, and more than enough reason for the ballplayer to accept the role and deal with the success.

I think he probably just misspoke. Frank knows that he's cooled off over the past two weeks. I think he was willing to do what Manuel wanted for the time being, but now he realizes that he needs to get his bat going again, so he talked with JM about playing first again.

Either way, Manuel is one with the final say on who plays where. It's his job as the manager to make sure that people are in a position to succeed on a daily basis. Situations like this prove that he needs to be fired, regardless of what the Sox do during the remainder of the season.

Soxboyrob
08-10-2003, 09:32 PM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge

I found myself thinking the same thing when I read the article, George. If it's really just a matter of Frank telling Jer Manuel "hey, play me on defense," then what the hell has he been waiting for? I've sorta been under the assumption that Frank wanted to play and that Manuel has refused to do it. If Manuel is the one that made this decision, then shame on Jerry for waiting so long. If all it took was for Frank to say something, then shame on him for waiting so long.

MisterB
08-10-2003, 10:22 PM
Originally posted by Soxboyrob
I found myself thinking the same thing when I read the article, George. If it's really just a matter of Frank telling Jer Manuel "hey, play me on defense," then what the hell has he been waiting for? I've sorta been under the assumption that Frank wanted to play and that Manuel has refused to do it. If Manuel is the one that made this decision, then shame on Jerry for waiting so long. If all it took was for Frank to say something, then shame on him for waiting so long.

With all the complaints coming from players concerning the jumbling of lineups, undefined bullpen roles and starting pitchers being pulled too soon, do you really believe any one player (including Thomas) can simply ask JM to do something and he'll jump? I think JM's track record shows that only the wheel that squeaks the loudest and longest gets any grease.

:hitless
"I'm the Babe Ruth of squeaky wheels!"

:jerry
"Shut up and eat your ice cream."

gosox41
08-10-2003, 10:29 PM
Originally posted by MisterB
With all the complaints coming from players concerning the jumbling of lineups, undefined bullpen roles and starting pitchers being pulled too soon, do you really believe any one player (including Thomas) can simply ask JM to do something and he'll jump? I think JM's track record shows that only the wheel that squeaks the loudest and longest gets any grease.

Well said. It's 100% JM's call as to who plays, where they play, and where they bat in the lineup.

Maybe JM woke up this week and realized that Pauli's alleged solid defense isn't all that much better then Frank's.

Bob