PDA

View Full Version : Cotts to pitch vs. Anaheim


Soxheads
08-10-2003, 07:16 PM
:D:

DonkeyKongerko
08-10-2003, 07:18 PM
Words cannot express how excited I am. I wish him the best of luck to a great start and hopefully a great White Sox career. :D:

Soxheads
08-10-2003, 07:20 PM
Dang. Could one of the moderators change the word "pich" to "pitch"?

Konerkoholic
08-10-2003, 07:24 PM
Anyone know what kind of stuff this guy has?

Daver
08-10-2003, 07:38 PM
Originally posted by Konerkoholic
Anyone know what kind of stuff this guy has?

Here you go:

Cotts, 22, was a 2001 second-round pick from Illinois State, the highest selection in school history. He spent his first full pro season at high Class A Modesto and fared well, going 12-6, 4.12 in 28 starts. He limited opponents to a .239 average and five homers in a hitter-friendly league, and struck out 178 in 138 innings. He's like Foulke in that he's not as overpowering as his numbers suggest. Cotts' out pitch is also his changeup, and his fastball rarely breaks 90 mph. He's working on improving his curveball, as a third pitch will be critical if he's to remain a starter, and he needs better control after issuing 87 walks this year.

Soxheads
08-10-2003, 07:48 PM
Oh, and this info was posted over on Soxtalk by a teamate and good friend of Cotts. Just so you guys know I'm not making it up. :smile:

kevingrt
08-10-2003, 07:56 PM
All we need is a W not a L that DW gave us

OEO Magglio
08-10-2003, 08:02 PM
Good, I can't wait to see Cotts pitch, it's definitely worth a chance, right now nobody can be worse then Danny Wrong, hopefully the sox can get a huge boost from Neal, GO COTTS!!!!!!!!!!!

lowesox
08-10-2003, 08:08 PM
Is this confirmed? If so, I think it's a great idea. I think Cotts will definitely add some intrigue to what's been a very interesting season already. I think he'll be good too. Who knows, maybe he'll be like Jason Bere in 1993.

I also like the idea of seeing what Danny Wright can do out of the bullpen. Sometimes when you take a good arm that's struggling and you change the role the results are dynamite.

Go sox.

duke of dorwood
08-10-2003, 08:17 PM
I'm all for it-worked out OK for Oakland rather than trading for a #5

jeremyb1
08-10-2003, 08:24 PM
Originally posted by lowesox
Is this confirmed? If so, I think it's a great idea. I think Cotts will definitely add some intrigue to what's been a very interesting season already. I think he'll be good too. Who knows, maybe he'll be like Jason Bere in 1993.

I also like the idea of seeing what Danny Wright can do out of the bullpen. Sometimes when you take a good arm that's struggling and you change the role the results are dynamite.

i expected this move barring a trade after we called burke up. i agree that perhaps the most exciting aspect of this is giving wright a shot to work out of the pen. i still remember his mlb debut out of the pen when he hit 97 mph on the gun. if he can just focus on throwing a four seamer, a two seamer, and a curve out of the pen with the usual jump in velocity that comes from working in shorter stints while focusing on throwing a few more strikes, he could be huge for us down the stretch.

as for cotts, i always think its a good idea to give someone who's pitching so well in the minors a shot. there's no real way of telling how a minor league pitcher will adjust to facing major league hitters. the fact that cotts hasn't pitched in AAA doesn't bode incredibly well, but buehrle skipped AAA and was an effective pitcher out of that gate. cotts doesn't have to pitch exceptionally to help out the club. an era around 5 or even 5.5 would be enough to keep the team in games down the stretch.

Lip Man 1
08-10-2003, 09:00 PM
This will be interesting to say the least.

As was already expressed he can't be any worse then Wright, Porzio or the other stiffs the Sox have tried. I mean if he gets hammered it's just one game and we KNOW that Wright would get lit up like a Christmas tree.

I wonder how Danny boy is taking the news to this? Apparently it means that Manager Gandhi has lost confidence in him (not that it was there in the first place...)

and I guess we can assume by this move that Kenny Williams hasn't been able to pick up any pitchers off the waiver wire.

Typical Sox....they say they will do everything they can to win except they ALWAYS seem to come up one area short

Lip

Daver
08-10-2003, 09:02 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
This will be interesting to say the least.



Typical Sox....they say they will do everything they can to win except they ALWAYS seem to come up one area short

Lip

There isn't anything on the waiver wire that is an improvement over letting Cotts pitch.

PaleHoseGeorge
08-10-2003, 09:04 PM
Originally posted by daver
There isn't anything on the waiver wire that is an improvement over letting Cotts pitch.

:valet
"Ahem..."

:jaime
"Yeah... what he said!"

Daver
08-10-2003, 09:10 PM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge
:valet
"Ahem..."

:jaime
"Yeah... what he said!"

Why stop there,I'm sure Oil Can Boyd could be dragged away from pumping diesel at the local Pilot for a spot start.

:)

gosox41
08-10-2003, 11:34 PM
Originally posted by OEO Magglio
Good, I can't wait to see Cotts pitch, it's definitely worth a chance, right now nobody can be worse then Danny Wrong, hopefully the sox can get a huge boost from Neal, GO COTTS!!!!!!!!!!!

I saw him pitch at the futures game. It was only one inning and certainly not a fair way to judge him, but I do remember the first inning dragged on and on and Cotts threw a lot more balls then strikes.

I am concerned about his BB totals. I ngeneral major league hitters aren't going to chase the out of strike zone pitches as much as the minor leaguers.

Bob

doublem23
08-10-2003, 11:39 PM
He walks way too many batters... I'd rather see Wright go to the pen and start Schoenweis.

Cotts, IMO, will get rocked.

Lip Man 1
08-10-2003, 11:39 PM
Amen...

I believe the names that were posted on this site listed Rick Reed as one of them.

Does anyone SERIOUSLY think they'd rather have Neil Cotts on the mound Tuesday instead of him? (and a chance to get even down the road against the Twins...)

Lip

doublem23
08-10-2003, 11:44 PM
Oh god...

Rick Reed?

:chunks

You're too funny sometimes, Lip. LOL

Daver
08-10-2003, 11:45 PM
Originally posted by doublem23
He walks way too many batters... I'd rather see Wright go to the pen and start Schoenweis.

Cotts, IMO, will get rocked.

Cotts probably will get rocked,but you can't ask a guy that has been used in short releif for a year to try and start,the result could be worse than Cotts starting,when you factor in the chance for injury.

doublem23
08-10-2003, 11:51 PM
Originally posted by daver
Cotts probably will get rocked,but you can't ask a guy that has been used in short releif for a year to try and start,the result could be worse than Cotts starting,when you factor in the chance for injury.

Eh, that's true... Can't do like a platoon Schoenweis for 3, Wright for 3-thingy? Let Scott work on building his arm back up in time for the postseason?

I just have visions of Neal Cotts turning around watching hit after hit after hit after hit after hit after hit after hit...

Lip Man 1
08-10-2003, 11:55 PM
I guess Double would rather have Danny "I Can't Pitch" Wright or the immortal Mike Porzio.

Sometimes you folks crack me up.....then if the Sox blow the division by a game or two we'll be spending all Winter reading posts from the same people saying "why didn't we get another pitcher, that stupid kenny Williams etc...."

LOL

Lip

DrCrawdad
08-11-2003, 12:29 AM
ChicagoSports.com lists does not have Cotts as a starter vs. Anaheim. Where is the confirmation of this story?

doublem23
08-11-2003, 12:30 AM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
I guess Double would rather have Danny "I Can't Pitch" Wright or the immortal Mike Porzio.

Sometimes you folks crack me up.....then if the Sox blow the division by a game or two we'll be spending all Winter reading posts from the same people saying "why didn't we get another pitcher, that stupid kenny Williams etc...."

LOL

Lip

Yeah, I would rather have Danny Wright. If we lose by 1 game, it won't be because or pitching let us down, you dolt.

WinningUgly!
08-11-2003, 01:47 AM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
Amen...

I believe the names that were posted on this site listed Rick Reed as one of them.

Does anyone SERIOUSLY think they'd rather have Neil Cotts on the mound Tuesday instead of him? (and a chance to get even down the road against the Twins...)

Lip

How exactly would the Sox go about getting Rick Reed? The Twins are only 2 games behind us in the standings, very much still in the race, & they're going to be willing to work a stretch-run trade with a division rival involving a guy out of their starting rotation? There's no way in hell it could/would/should happen.

MarkEdward
08-11-2003, 01:55 AM
For what it's worth, ESPN still has Danny Wright as the scheduled starter for Tuesday...

Anyway, I don't know if I like bringing Cotts up this early. While he was striking out many AA hitters, his walk rate was pretty high (over four BB/9 IP). I can't see him pitching much better than Wright. Hopefully Cotts will prove me wrong...

longshot7
08-11-2003, 04:08 AM
anybody know when? I'm going Tues nite.

Maybe they figured that Schoenweis would be too familiar to his former teammates. And the Twins are not getting rid of Reed, so quit dreaming.

soxtalker
08-11-2003, 08:02 AM
I haven't been much of a supporter of KW, but cut him some slack here. As the season progresses, more teams will drop out of the races and make more potential trades possible.

delben91
08-11-2003, 09:04 AM
To add a bit more credence to the Cotts rumor, there's this (http://www.dailysouthtown.com/southtown/dssports/pro/111sd2.htm) from the Southtown. Seems the rumor is still that Cotts will get the start tuesday. Also, Burke is likely to get sent down today, with Olivo feeling better, so that would clear a roster spot.

Hangar18
08-11-2003, 11:01 AM
What Uniform # will he be I wonder?

34 Inch Stick
08-11-2003, 11:04 AM
If we lose the division by 1 game I will be blaming the Tampa and Detroit series not a minor league pitcher.

Cotts gets two starts and is on a very short leash. I will take 5 innings and 3 runs or less and consider it a success.

No matter what I think GOOD LUCK NEAL. Give us something positive in the Foulke/Krotch trade.

Hangar18
08-11-2003, 11:04 AM
Originally posted by longshot7
anybody know when? I'm going Tues nite.

Maybe they figured that Schoenweis would be too familiar to his former teammates. And the Twins are not getting rid of Reed, so quit dreaming.

Hey Longshot....do you know where your sitting ? I'll look for ya on TV

Hangar18
08-11-2003, 11:05 AM
Originally posted by 34 Inch Stick
If we lose the division by 1 game I will be blaming the Tampa and Detroit series not a minor league pitcher.

Cotts gets two starts and is on a very short leash. I will take 5 innings and 3 runs or less and consider it a success.

No matter what I think GOOD LUCK NEAL. Give us something positive in the Foulke/Krotch trade.


YEP......that TAMPA blown game on Friday nite put us on a Skid for sure, thanks Billy Koch. Those Detroit gms were very hurtful to us also.

akingamongstmen
08-11-2003, 12:45 PM
Originally posted by lowesox
Is this confirmed? If so, I think it's a great idea. I think Cotts will definitely add some intrigue to what's been a very interesting season already. I think he'll be good too. Who knows, maybe he'll be like Jason Bere in 1993.

I also like the idea of seeing what Danny Wright can do out of the bullpen. Sometimes when you take a good arm that's struggling and you change the role the results are dynamite.

Go sox.


Who knows...maybe Danny Wright could be the next Gagne. He certainly has good enough stuff to be a closer, and he's got a mental toughness about him that is intriguing. He couldn't be any worse than Koch.

ma-gaga
08-11-2003, 12:50 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
I believe the names that were posted on this site listed Rick Reed as one of them.
Lip

oh... Please be true. Rick Reed is a good pitcher, when he's sick. I've seen the guy pitch his guts out, but only if he's coughing up a lung, or battling pneunomia, or fighting a hangnail injury...

Seriously.

If he's healthy, he sucks. Unfortunately he's been pretty damn healthy all year.

:)

SoxxoS
08-11-2003, 12:53 PM
Originally posted by akingamongstmen
Who knows...maybe Danny Wright could be the next Gagne. He certainly has good enough stuff to be a closer, and he's got a mental toughness about him that is intriguing. He couldn't be any worse than Koch.

The only similarity Wright would have to Gagne is being a converted starter to closer. And they are both white. The comparison ends there.

Gagne probably top 10 "stuff" in the major leagues. Wright has got decent stuff, but it doesn't touch Gagne's. We saw Gagne make our hitters look silly about 2 months ago. So much so, Carlos Lee was absolutely confused up there. When was the last time Danny Wright made someone look silly or confused anyone?

Danny Wright could be a closer, and maybe he will let it all hang out if he had only 1 inning to pitch (possibly seeing that 97 mph heater instead of that typical 94 mph one) .

But, he won't be the next Gagne.

Jerko
08-11-2003, 01:39 PM
Originally posted by Hangar18
What Uniform # will he be I wonder?


Probably what Porzio or Ginter were since the Sox do nothing if not re-cycle old uniform numbers.

rmusacch
08-11-2003, 02:45 PM
Originally posted by Jerko
Probably what Porzio or Ginter were since the Sox do nothing if not re-cycle old uniform numbers.

IT will be a number that is not of a player that is on the 40 man. Once a player is on the 40 man, that is their number until they leave the 40 man or sell it to someone else.

Jerko
08-11-2003, 02:58 PM
Originally posted by rmusacch
IT will be a number that is not of a player that is on the 40 man. Once a player is on the 40 man, that is their number until they leave the 40 man or sell it to someone else.

then I predict it will be 38 (glover)

jeremyb1
08-11-2003, 05:33 PM
Originally posted by SoxxoS
The only similarity Wright would have to Gagne is being a converted starter to closer. And they are both white. The comparison ends there.

Gagne probably top 10 "stuff" in the major leagues. Wright has got decent stuff, but it doesn't touch Gagne's. We saw Gagne make our hitters look silly about 2 months ago. So much so, Carlos Lee was absolutely confused up there. When was the last time Danny Wright made someone look silly or confused anyone?

Danny Wright could be a closer, and maybe he will let it all hang out if he had only 1 inning to pitch (possibly seeing that 97 mph heater instead of that typical 94 mph one) .

But, he won't be the next Gagne.

its easy to say that now but it was hard to find people raving about gagne's stuff prior to the offseason before last when he was fighting for a job in the dodgers pen. wright's stuff may not be quite as good as gagne but its certainly his strength. his strength isn't control that's for sure. he can throw the ball hard especially in relief with good movement and a tight curve.

longshot7
08-11-2003, 06:17 PM
Originally posted by Hangar18
Hey Longshot....do you know where your sitting ? I'll look for ya on TV

No clue, but thanks for the thought. I'm planning on being a walk-up.

You were on TV a few weeks ago near one of Frank's HRs, weren't you? I saw that.

Soxheads
08-11-2003, 07:05 PM
This was according to Cotts (former) teamate Jim Bullard, so I'm going to believe it will happen. They both post on Soxtalk...so I think it's credible.

DrCrawdad
08-12-2003, 12:31 AM
http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/images/2003/07/13/OXnmvdM3.jpg

08/11/2003 10:26 PM ET
Notes: Cotts to start Tuesday
Left-hander to debut as fifth starter against Anaheim
By Scott Merkin / MLB.com

WhiteSox.com Article on Cotts start. (http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/cws/news/cws_news.jsp?ymd=20030811&content_id=478003&vkey=news_cws&fext=.jsp&c_id=cha)

Hangar18
08-12-2003, 08:37 AM
Originally posted by longshot7
No clue, but thanks for the thought. I'm planning on being a walk-up.

You were on TV a few weeks ago near one of Frank's HRs, weren't you? I saw that.

Yup. that was me alright. his 400th homer. Probably
saw me in KC too, when they swept after the game......

harwar
08-12-2003, 09:40 AM
I saw Neal pitch in the futures game and although he had great stuff he was all over the place.I think he threw over 40 pitches in the 1st inning.If he can show some command & control i think he will do fine.
Last night was a big loss as i had already penciled in a loss for tonight because i thought Danny Wright was pitching.If we lose tonight we will have to struggle just to get a spilt with a team that has been woefull since the break.
Lets hope Ramon Ortiz has a bad game.He got lit up in 2 of his last 3 games(oakland & boston) but he totally shut down the bluejays.I guess we'll just have to hope for some key hits(please don't let Koneko come up with the bases loaded again).

Procol Harum
08-12-2003, 09:49 AM
Here's hopin' the kid has the ability to mystify the Angels in the same manner every no-name, never-been-heard-of-before pitcher up from the minors seems to bewitch the Sox. After blowing the chance to win that one last night we need a win desperately to get off the schneid on the Left Coast. We're in a spot here where a bad series in Anahumm would have us looking at the Twins' taillights, courtesy of the very giving Cleveland Indians. And, that would be a bad thing given the very different nature of our schedules in the coming days.

SoxxoS
08-12-2003, 09:54 AM
The worst thing to happen was Cleveland sweeping the Angels before we played them, don't you agree...esp since we play them away.

Hopefully, that Cleveland team will show up and split with the Twins.

Rocklive99
08-12-2003, 05:23 PM
I hope he does very well, but am also worried if he is ready or not. But it's not like I follow the minors that close, I've only seen his performance at the futures game, his minor league stats, and have heard comparisons. Whatever happened to Rauch? Bad year?