PDA

View Full Version : At the end of the season...

TornLabrum
08-10-2003, 06:14 PM
...if the Sox win the division, we could look at today's game as the game that the Sox first showed what they were made of. They took a very tough loss at home from the A's, a team that has killed us the past several years.

In the past the kind of loss we had last night would have sent us into a tailspin. This time, though we came back and soundly defeated them. It could be a new dawn where the Sox actually compete against the AL West.

soxtalker
08-10-2003, 06:29 PM
I agree, though it will be important to see if we can also do this on the road. One positive twist from the difficult schedule we have coming up is that it will give us the opportunity to develop some toughness (or we're not likely to survive).

gosox41
08-10-2003, 11:52 PM
Originally posted by TornLabrum
...if the Sox win the division, we could look at today's game as the game that the Sox first showed what they were made of. They took a very tough loss at home from the A's, a team that has killed us the past several years.

In the past the kind of loss we had last night would have sent us into a tailspin. This time, though we came back and soundly defeated them. It could be a new dawn where the Sox actually compete against the AL West.

It's games like today that give me a little more hope that this team can win the division and so some damage in the playoffs.

It helps that the bullpen use was minimized by only using Marte today.

Bob

manuelsucks
08-10-2003, 11:59 PM
I think the Sox could do some serious damage. I don't know how long it's been since we have taken the series from a West Coast team. Maybe we can continue to come out on top, especially now that we are going to Anaheim, which is in a tail spin. This should be interesting.

soxwon
08-11-2003, 12:07 AM
another plus this week The royals face the yankees. GO BRONX BOMBERS!!!

inta
08-11-2003, 01:26 AM
a week ago we were 2.5 games out of first, now we've cut that to .5.
i mean how long has boston been 2-4 games behind the yankees?

the oakland series was huge since our 1 loss to them during the series can be blamed on so many weird factors. I have so much more confidence about this team after taking 2 of 3 this past weekend than i have for them all season.
hopefully the chisox have that same confidence i do and we hit full stride by playoff time.

delben91
08-11-2003, 07:53 AM
It was great to see the Sox take 2 from Oakland.

Though I didn't see saturday's game, I heard it was sort of a strange game all around and that Garland got "dinked to death" but didn't give up a ton of solid hits. Hopefully that's the case, because Jon is key to the Sox finishing off the year strong. All the same, now that they've taken a series from a really solid team, the next step is to take a series out west, even if it is the same Angels that just got swept by the Jndjans.

GO SOX!

TornLabrum
08-11-2003, 08:27 AM
Originally posted by delben91
It was great to see the Sox take 2 from Oakland.

Though I didn't see saturday's game, I heard it was sort of a strange game all around and that Garland got "dinked to death" but didn't give up a ton of solid hits. Hopefully that's the case, because Jon is key to the Sox finishing off the year strong. All the same, now that they've taken a series from a really solid team, the next step is to take a series out west, even if it is the same Angels that just got swept by the Jndjans.

GO SOX!

Garland got dinked to death in the first inning. He was hit pretty hard the next two innings before settling down.

Brian26
08-11-2003, 05:01 PM
Yesterday was a SUNDAY HOME DAY-game victory. In 2001 and 2002, it was almost a miraculous feat for the Sox to do this. Home many Sunday day-games at home have we lost over the last 3 years? Yesterday was definitely an encouraging win.

PANFIRECRACKER
08-11-2003, 05:21 PM
Originally posted by Brian26
Yesterday was a SUNDAY HOME DAY-game victory. In 2001 and 2002, it was almost a miraculous feat for the Sox to do this. Home many Sunday day-games at home have we lost over the last 3 years? Yesterday was definitely an encouraging win.

And against a pitcher they'd not faced before!

LASOXFAN
08-11-2003, 05:48 PM
And against a pitcher they'd not faced before! [/QUOTE]

That caught my eye too. I knew Loiza would give us a chance but I thought for sure they'd lose to yet another rookie they hadn't seen before. That's a step in the right direction.

I'm looking forward to going to the games starting tonight. I was witness to the worst defeat in franchise history last year, 19-0. Thank you Dan Wright. I wouldn't mind some payback. That was so humiliating.