PDA

View Full Version : Get a clue Manuel!

MHOUSE
08-10-2003, 04:47 PM
Doesn't he realize that we generally win or at least play well with the set lineup and then lose or barely scrape by with his TINKERER lineup? I mean it's pretty obvious.

Alomar 2B
Lee LF
Thomas DH
Maggs RF
Everett CF
Konerko 1B
Jose SS
Crede 3B
Sandy/Olivo

This group gets the job done. But when Jerry tries to throw in Daucach, Graffy, and Rowand for starts a few times a week then we look bad again. I'm all for giving guys a break WHEN NEEDED, but we're trying to win a 3-horse race and the only way to do that is putting your best team out there everyday and trying to win.

Tragg
08-10-2003, 05:57 PM
There's nothing wrong with letting the bench play some - manuel seems to put 3 in at once, however

What gets me, however, is that if Graff plays, he's immediately the lead off hitter and Alomar drops to 2nd. That makes no sense - if he's the best lead off hitter, play him every day; if he's a sub quality player, but him down in the lineup.
Oh, and the same thing with the rare harris starts - leadoff.

jeremyb1
08-10-2003, 07:31 PM
Originally posted by MHOUSE
when Jerry tries to throw in Daucach, Graffy, and Rowand for starts a few times a week then we look bad again. I'm all for giving guys a break WHEN NEEDED, but we're trying to win a 3-horse race and the only way to do that is putting your best team out there everyday and trying to win.

graffanino starts against lefties because he hits them exceedingly well (900+ ops) while alomar (sub .600 ops) and valentin (sub .500 ops) barely hit them at all. daubach has the potential to be one of the best hitters off the bench in baseball so he should receive at bats from time to time so he stays sharp when he's needed for pinch hits or if a player goes down to injury. asking a manager to play the same lineup for 162 games is ridiculous and it is equally ridiculous to completely ignore matchups to your advantage for the sake of consistency. the managers job is to play the lineup best suited to win a game, not to play the lineup he played yesterday.

Lip Man 1
08-10-2003, 07:54 PM
Ah yes... Jeremy speaks...

Manager Gandhi's best friend and the same guy who was concerned that the Sox were trading away the future for a shot at a title this year.

Lip

doublem23
08-10-2003, 10:16 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
Ah yes... Jeremy speaks...

Manager Gandhi's best friend and the same guy who was concerned that the Sox were trading away the future for a shot at a title this year.

Lip

I never thought someone could be poked fun at for being 100% correct, but...

gosox41
08-10-2003, 10:21 PM
Originally posted by MHOUSE
Doesn't he realize that we generally win or at least play well with the set lineup and then lose or barely scrape by with his TINKERER lineup? I mean it's pretty obvious.

Alomar 2B
Lee LF
Thomas DH
Maggs RF
Everett CF
Konerko 1B
Jose SS
Crede 3B
Sandy/Olivo

This group gets the job done. But when Jerry tries to throw in Daucach, Graffy, and Rowand for starts a few times a week then we look bad again. I'm all for giving guys a break WHEN NEEDED, but we're trying to win a 3-horse race and the only way to do that is putting your best team out there everyday and trying to win.

I have no problem is JM has a line up for both lefties and rightie pitchers. Especially if it makes statistical sense and it allows guys like Daubach, Graff,and Rowand to remain fresh but also using him wisely.

Bob

Bucktown
08-10-2003, 10:34 PM
I was hoping thatgoing 17-5 was goingto quiet down the Jerry bashers (Manuel and Reinsdorf). But I guess that some are just programmed that way

I can here it now..."if manuel wouldn't have tinkered with that lineup we would have wonthe series in5 games instead of 6."

gosox41
08-10-2003, 10:38 PM
Originally posted by Bucktown

I can here it now..."if manuel wouldn't have tinkered with that lineup we would have wonthe series in5 games instead of 6."

Try not to get to far ahead of yourself here.

Bob

TornLabrum
08-10-2003, 11:04 PM
I was hoping thatgoing 17-5 was goingto quiet down the Jerry bashers (Manuel and Reinsdorf). But I guess that some are just programmed that way

Since it's unlikely that we'll be a wild card team with the record we currently have, I'd suggest that our concentration is best spent on getting into first place rather than what we're going to do in October. You have to get to October first.

voodoochile
08-10-2003, 11:08 PM

When Jerry starts acting like a big league manager and not someone who occasionally stumbles on ideas that other managers take for granted, I will be glad to back off. I think I've been pretty fair to the guy recently. Not my fault that the last two times he "pulled a Jerry" the Sox got creamed...

MHOUSE
08-10-2003, 11:22 PM
Originally posted by voodoochile
When Jerry starts acting like a big league manager and not someone who occasionally stumbles on ideas that other managers take for granted, I will be glad to back off. I think I've been pretty fair to the guy recently. Not my fault that the last two times he "pulled a Jerry" the Sox got creamed...

LOL. I noticed this. Like he used to bring in Harris and Rowand, but then he realized he can bring in Harris and move Everett to LF and not lose so much from the lineup. DUH!

Also, I'm not asking him to play the same guys 162 games, but the starters don't need an off day every 5 starts or so. With pinch hits and the occasional rest or injury, the bench will be plenty fresh. If you want to give those guys a start then do it sparingly, not all at once. The "bench lineup" never does well. Harris should start once a month and Rowand only when Everett needs a day to rest his knees. With Konerko back, we don't need Daubach as much. Graffy is good, but play him vs. lefties consistently.