PDA

View Full Version : Situation Analysis

RKMeibalane
08-10-2003, 05:07 PM
Congratulations to the Chicago White Sox on a nice win to finish off this homestand. Everyone contributed today, and that's something you like to see happen with a team that's in contention. The Royals also won today, so the Sox remain half a game back in the AL Central. They now travel to Anaheim, a place that has not been kind to the Pale Hose in recent history.

You may remember that the Sox were drilled 19-0 by the Angels in May of last season. That game took a place on a Friday evening. The following night, Sox fans got their first glimpse of Jerry "The Tinkerer" Manuel, when he brought out the following lineup:

CF- Lofton
3B- Valentin
RF- Ordonez
1B- Konerko
DH- Thomas
LF- Lee
2B- Durham
C- Johnson
SS- Clayton

This lineup was a disaster. Only Konerko and Thomas were effective when it was used. Yet Manuel insisted on sending the team out there, knowing that the lineup wasn't effective. His excuse: "I do like to tinker. It usually doesn't work, though."

The Sox need take care of business in this four-game series. The Royals are facing the Yankees, so another opportunity to move back into first place has presented itself. The Spx need to make the most of this chance.

After the Angels, the Sox face the Texas Rangers for the first time. This series is winnable. Texas does not have a good pitching staff, and the Sox have shown that they can destroy bad pitching. Just ask the Royals.

It will be interesting to see what happens over the course of the next week. I see no reason why the Sox shouldn't be in first when next Sunday rolls around.

WinningUgly!
08-10-2003, 05:44 PM
Originally posted by RKMeibalane

The Sox need take care of business in this four-game series. The Royals are facing the Yankees, so another opportunity to move back into first place has presented itself. The Spx need to make the most of this chance.

After the Angels, the Sox face the Texas Rangers for the first time. This series is winnable. Texas does not have a good pitching staff, and the Sox have shown that they can destroy bad pitching. Just ask the Royals.

It will be interesting to see what happens over the course of the next week. I see no reason why the Sox shouldn't be in first when next Sunday rolls around.

The Sox have 20 games (6 series) left in August.
4 @ ANA
3 @ TEX
3 vs ANA
4 vs TEX
3 @ NYY
3 @ DET
We should be able to win 5 of the 6 series. This 20 game stretch is the softest of the remaining schedule. We need to really get fat in the 14 games with ANA & TEX. 9-5 at the very least...11-3 if this team is for real!

The 25 games in September look a little like this.....
5 against BOS (2home/3away)
3 against CLE (home)
7 against MIN (4home/3away)
3 against NYY (home)
7 against KC (3 home/4away)

GO SOX!!!!

PaleHoseGeorge
08-10-2003, 05:50 PM
You know, if the Sox are playing good baseball the quality of the opponent doesn't make very much difference. OTOH, if we're playing lousy baseball, the Sox can't beat anybody. That has been painfully obvious in 2003. :(:

:ohno
"We're trying to forget those series in Detroit and St. Pete."

The Sox are playing good ball right now. We're not the ones who blew an 8 game first-place lead. If we keep up the pressure, everything will work out fine. :cool:

:ohno
"Stop jinxing us, dammit!"

Tragg
08-10-2003, 06:59 PM
Texas is still trying and is playing well. I think that they will be tougher than the Angels, who while more talented, have packed it in for the year (them and Toronto; the Mets and the Reds in the NL). Plus, Texas plays the Tigers this week before us, so they will remain hot.

Konerkoholic
08-10-2003, 07:23 PM
Anaheim is extremely cold, Sox pitching, hitting and defense is looking very good again. I think we can throw the Sox' west coast history out the window for these series. This team is entirely different from what we had seen for the last 2 1/2 years, leading up to the All Star break.

jeremyb1
08-10-2003, 08:27 PM
You may remember that the Sox were drilled 19-0 by the Angels in May of last season. That game took a place on a Friday evening. The following night, Sox fans got their first glimpse of Jerry "The Tinkerer" Manuel, when he brought out the following lineup:

i really think you need to let this go. the team is winning, and manuel has been using a set lineup since the break. there's really nothing to complain about at this point. screaming "tinkerer" every single time a bench player sees his way into the lineup gets old fast.

manuel has showed a tendency in the past to shake things up a lot when the team is scuffling really badly, "picking the lineup out of a hat" so to speak. personally, i don't see the problem because when your team is playing as poorly as this team has at times over the last two years, you really can't make things worse. manuel has stuck with a lineup pretty well when the team is hot, you're not going to see frank batting fifth any time soon.

duke of dorwood
08-10-2003, 08:31 PM
The Tinkering has got to stop-go with your best until change is needed. Its too important. The bench guys now should be late inning replacements only

RKMeibalane
08-10-2003, 08:33 PM
Originally posted by jeremyb1
i really think you need to let this go. the team is winning, and manuel has been using a set lineup since the break. there's really nothing to complain about at this point. screaming "tinkerer" every single time a bench player sees his way into the lineup gets old fast.

manuel has showed a tendency in the past to shake things up a lot when the team is scuffling really badly, "picking the lineup out of a hat" so to speak. personally, i don't see the problem because when your team is playing as poorly as this team has at times over the last two years, you really can't make things worse. manuel has stuck with a lineup pretty well when the team is hot, you're not going to see frank batting fifth any time soon.

I think you misunderstood what I was saying. I was using those events as an example of what has happened in past during West Coast trips. Obviously, this year's team seems to be more capable of playing well on the road. I just wanted to be sure that people were aware of recent history, though. That's all. The reason the old lineup was posted is because that just happened to coincide with the trip to the West Coast last May.

Lip Man 1
08-10-2003, 08:51 PM
A couple of points:

First off Manager Gandhi has NOT stop tinkering. See yesterday's lineup and the Sunday lineup versus Seattle.

Second the Rangers have been playing very well lately. Worry about them after the Angels.

Lip

34 Inch Stick
08-11-2003, 09:31 AM
Worry about every game. This certainly looks like it is going to come down to the end with very little room for error.

This whole Twins schedule has me concerned. I see things like this weekend where we feel successful, and rightfully so, to take 2 of 3 from a good team. However we still give up ground to them as they play dregs. On top of that the dregs will only get worse at call up time.

Mighty4
08-11-2003, 09:49 AM
I think you misunderstood what I was saying. I was using those events as an example of what has happened in past during West Coast trips. Obviously, this year's team seems to be more capable of playing well on the road. I just wanted to be sure that people were aware of recent history, though. That's all. The reason the old lineup was posted is because that just happened to coincide with the trip to the West Coast last May.

RK, you don't have to justify yourself to Jeremy. No matter what Manuel does, Jeremy will defend him to the bitter end. If we were losing by a run and Thomas was rounding third with the tying run and Manuel ran out and made a nice open field tackle on Big Frank and got him tagged out, EVEN THAT loss would not be JM's fault according to Jeremy. He has his right to defend JM but you also have yours to rip him and I enjoy your hatred of JM. Don't let Jeremy temper that.

Tragg
08-11-2003, 10:19 AM
Originally posted by 34 Inch Stick

This whole Twins schedule has me concerned. I see things like this weekend where we feel successful, and rightfully so, to take 2 of 3 from a good team. However we still give up ground to them as they play dregs. On top of that the dregs will only get worse at call up time.

The Sox, Royals and Twins all have 7 games against each other left. The Twins have no games against other good teams, but have 7 games left with the Tigers for a -7.

The Royals have 6 with the Yanks but offset with 6 v Tigers for a 0

The Sox have 6 with the Yanks, 5 with the Bosox and only 3 with the Tigers, for a +8.

While the Sox and Royals close the season with each other, the Twins will be playing the Tigers. The Royals play the Yanks right now - and the Yanks aren't playing that great.

The key will be us winning the head-to-heads v the Twins and Royals. And if we lose it, we can probably point back to that series right before the break in which we were, incredibly, swept by the Tigers (we actually lost 2 series to the Tigers this year).

Mighty4
08-11-2003, 10:24 AM
Originally posted by Tragg
The Sox, Royals and Twins all have 7 games against each other left. The Twins have no games against other good teams, but have 7 games left with the Tigers for a -7.

The Royals have 6 with the Yanks but offset with 6 v Tigers for a 0

The Sox have 6 with the Yanks, 5 with the Bosox and only 3 with the Tigers, for a +8.

While the Sox and Royals close the season with each other, the Twins will be playing the Tigers. The Royals play the Yanks right now - and the Yanks aren't playing that great.

The key will be us winning the head-to-heads v the Twins and Royals. And if we lose it, we can probably point back to that series right before the break in which we were, incredibly, swept by the Tigers (we actually lost 2 series to the Tigers this year).

That's the difference. Min and KC have probably lost less games to the Tigers combined than the White Sox. I know Min has won 19 of 20 or something gaudy like that. We MAY need to sweep each team (KC/MIN) head to head once before all is said and done. Then again, Boston pitching after Pedro has been in the tank lately, even the new guys they got and we SHOULD have swept them 4 games when they were here.

Tragg
08-11-2003, 10:28 AM
Originally posted by Mighty4
That's the difference. Min and KC have probably lost less games to the Tigers combined than the White Sox. I know Min has won 19 of 20 or something gaudy like that. We MAY need to sweep each team (KC/MIN) head to head once before all is said and done. Then again, Boston pitching after Pedro has been in the tank lately, even the new guys they got and we SHOULD have swept them 4 games when they were here.

When we started playing better in mid-June, we blew a lot of games we should have won - a Cub game, a Dodger game, a Giant game, 2 v the Bosox. Now lately, we've been winning those games, thankfully. It's nice to see that those pirate and reds pitchers may not be the salvation for the bosox - hopefully they'll be out of it in september.
But our september schedule is killer