PDA

View Full Version : I Don't Understand

Lip Man 1
08-09-2003, 02:13 PM
Maybe I'm just dense but I don't understand this comment from Manager Gandhi to the Daily Southtown. Could somebody out there translate it for me?

Here's what he said..."With that type of (quick) pace, you don't mind a guy going deep into the game."

Gandhi was talking about Buehrle and how he threw a complete game.

Since when does pace determine if a pitcher is going to be allowed to throw a complete game?

I mean it doesn't matter one iota if a guy takes three seconds, thirty seconds or three minutes between pitches.

It STILL counts as ONE pitch doesn't it?

Or is this another example of what Pale Hose George says is just Manager Gandhi making excuses for his own irrational, inconsistent behovior.

Any thoughts?

Lip

TornLabrum
08-09-2003, 02:19 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
Maybe I'm just dense but I don't understand this comment from Manager Gandhi to the Daily Southtown. Could somebody out there translate it for me?

Here's what he said..."With that type of (quick) pace, you don't mind a guy going deep into the game."

Gandhi was talking about Buehrle and how he threw a complete game.

Since when does pace determine if a pitcher is going to be allowed to throw a complete game?

I mean it doesn't matter one iota if a guy takes three seconds, thirty seconds or three minutes between pitches.

It STILL counts as ONE pitch doesn't it?

Or is this another example of what Pale Hose George says is just Manager Gandhi making excuses for his own irrational, inconsistent behovior.

Any thoughts?

Lip

That's why I call him Gen. Disarray.

jabrch
08-09-2003, 02:27 PM
Traditionally, pitchers who work fast tend to tire less. Now it is not a matter only of the amount of time between pitches, but a "fast worker" is likely not walking people and not labouring.

I'll bag on JM for lots of things...not this quote.

jeremyb1
08-09-2003, 03:14 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
is this another example of what Pale Hose George says is just Manager Gandhi making excuses for his own irrational, inconsistent behovior.

haha. you're not actually implying that it may have been unwise for manuel to leave buerhle in for the 9th are you? because i cannot even fathom the outrage that would've flooded this board if that move was made and gordon or marte blew it in the 9th. i think there would be people on top of the ballpark trying to take jm out the next time he went out for a pitching change.

jabrch
08-09-2003, 03:17 PM
Originally posted by jeremyb1
haha. you're not actually implying that it may have been unwise for manuel to leave buerhle in for the 9th are you? because i cannot even fathom the outrage that would've flooded this board if that move was made and gordon or marte blew it in the 9th. i think there would be people on top of the ballpark trying to take jm out the next time he went out for a pitching change.

People would have poked at Jerry M either way...

I am just glad we won, KC lost and the Cubs lost...add in a Minn loss, and the day would have been perfect.

doublem23
08-10-2003, 12:46 AM
The less time pitchers sit on the bench, the less time their arms get from getting stiff/cold.

It's not that big of a deal, but generally, if a pitcher goes out, throws for 20 minutes, then sits for 15, then throws for 15 minutes, then sits fo 20, then throws for 10 minutes, then sits for 15, etc... That can do damage on an arm.

WinningUgly!
08-10-2003, 01:15 AM
Makes sense to me. Manuel was talking about the overall pace of the game, not just Buehrle working quickly. Mulder wasted no time between pitches either & it was a low scoring less than 2 hour game. Since Buehrle wasn't sitting on the bench for extended periods of time, it was easier for him to remain "loose" which keeps him from getting tired, which lessens the chance of an injury.

Jerry Manuel has done & said plenty of stupid things the last few seasons. This wasn't one of them. Keep digging. :D: