PDA

View Full Version : If By Chance...

soxwon
08-09-2003, 12:53 PM
if we make the payoffs(LOL) would you rather see us play Yankees, Red sox, Seattle, or oakland?
and how do you think we would match up to the yankees.

question 2
how do you compare us to the 2000 white sox player by player

RKMeibalane
08-09-2003, 01:43 PM
Answer One:

I don't really have a preference as far as who the Sox face in the post-season. I suppose if I had to pick a team, I would go with the Yankees. The reason? First of all, each of the games would take place during the evening, not in the afternoon like the Seattle series. Second, there are several Sox hittters (i.e. Frank Thomas, Magglio Ordonez) who have fared well against Yankee pitches (Mussina and Clemens, in particular). I don't want to see the offense disappear, as it did in 2000.

Answer Two:

This team is similar to the 2000 squad, but not the same. The 2000 pitching staff was comprised of players having career seasons. It was doubted even then if any of them would be as productive in the future. None of pitchers who made up the starting rotation that year have come anywhere close to posting similar numbers. Several have been in and out of baseball since then.

This year's pitching staff is more well-rounded. With the exception of Esteban Loaiza, no one is having a career year. In fact, several pitchers (Buehrle, Colon, Wright) have underachieved. Colon and Buehrle are getting back to their old form, but Wright has just been... wrong somehow. In spite of the early pitching problems, the team managed to stay competitive enough to have a shot at winning the division. Now, a division title is a real possibility, now that the pitching staff has picked it up.

The 2000 offense was led by Frank Thomas and Magglio Ordonez, with Paul Konerko and Carlos Lee providing strong support. The same is true of this year's team, at least since the beginning of the second half. Konerko had a deadful first half, and many suspected that his career was in jeopardy. But Konerko has bounced back, and he has caused Jerry Manuel to finally stop tinkering.

Thomas has not hit for as high an average as he did in '00, but his power has always been there. The Big Hurt carried the Sox offense during the first half while Konerko was struggling and Ordonez seemed a bit "off" at the plate. Since the start of the second half, Frank has continued to provide power, but the main reason for the Sox continued success has been Magglio Ordonez.

The AL Player of the Month for July, Maggs has dominated the American League, so much so that his name is being mentioned whenever the race for Most Valuable Player comes up. Ordonez has proven once again that he is the best right fielder in Chicago, no matter what those idiots on the North Side keep saying.

Jose Valentin has also remained an important part of the Sox lineup. He continues to hit for power, and is once again on pace to hit 20-25 home runs.

Carlos Lee, like Ordonez, has manhandled AL pitchers. After several years of teasing Sox officials with his talent, the muscular outfielder seems to be finally putting everything together. With his improved defense in left field, Lee has made himself into a valuable part of the Sox organization. No longer is his name included in trade talks. The Sox simply cannot afford to part with Lee. He's too important now.

The main difference in the Sox lineup now when comparing it with the 2000 squad is the presence of Carl Everett and Roberto Alomar, replacing Chris Singleton and Ray Durham respectively. Everett is a huge upgrade over Singleton offensively. He provides power in the middle of the lineup, and he has also allowed the batting order to take on a more balanced look. What was a righty dominated lineup now features Everett and Alomar, two switch hitters, to go along with Jose Valentin. Everett's weakness is his defense. He has trouble getting to flyballs that drop in front of him, and his range leaves much to be desired. However, in the event that his defense may become too much of a liability, Manuel can always call on speedy Willie Harris as a defensive replacement.

Alomar does not possess the power of Ray Durham, but he remains one of the best defensive second baseman in baseball. His presence on the right side of the infield has taken a lot of pressure off of Sox pitches, who no longer feel as though they need to strike everyone out. Robbie has swng the bat well at the plate, providing timely hits and quality base-running. He has done an excellent job of getting on base in front of Lee, Thomas, and Ordonez, and the Sox offense has taken advantage of this.