PDA

View Full Version : An Open Letter to Jerry Reinsdorf

jabrch
08-09-2003, 10:58 AM
Dear Mr. R,

For years you have been telling me that the reason that we can acquire that one extra FA is that the fans don't support this team. Our response has always been that we would support this team to our death if we felt you were making the moves to support the fans and the club. I think we finally are on the same page. I hope this newfound agreement holds true for years to come, not just the remainder of 2003.

When Kenny Williams successfully added to veteran all-stars to shore up some of our weaknesses, I was thrilled. I had been to 3 games early in the season, but in celebration, I went out and bought a new Sox jersey, a new Sox hat and 4 lower box tickets to 7 other games for the rest of the season. I also encouraged my friends to come with me to games. Now was our chance! I am not alone. Over the past four home games, we have seen almost 135,000 fans in attendance. (I was responsible for 8 of those myself) The rest of this homestand should be equally as filled. (averaging 32,500 per).

So...you took the first step...you expanded payroll...we took the next step. We bought liscensed material. We bought tickets to games. We bought food. We bought beer. And we cheered our beloved Sox on. We will continue all year to do this because we appreciate the effort made to put a winner on the field. Next it is your turn to follow on the good will. It may be too late to add a significant player to the roster for this year. And that is fine with me. However, you owe it to us to reinvest some of this revenue from our increased spending in the club for the future. Please sit down with KW at some point in time and allocate funds to resigning Buehrle and Colon. Try to work a deal out to keep Robbie Alomar here. Please allocate funds to making a legitimate attempt to pursue a FA SS or a FA 2B if we lose Alomar. Make legitimate bids at a lock-down closer. (We know you tried with Koch, but that obviously hasn't worked) Continue to invest (as we know you have) in the development of a top notch farm system. Pay back our support, attendance and spending with a fair effort to do the same in 2004. You have made some efforts in the past (Belle, Wells, etc.) and we hope you do so again in the future.

Sincerely...

A Die-hard Sox Fan

dougs78
08-09-2003, 11:17 AM
Amen to that!

captain54
08-09-2003, 12:40 PM
Originally posted by jabrch
Dear Mr. R,

So...you took the first step...you expanded payroll...

the additional roster moves the Sox made this year hardly made a dent in JR's wallet.....the Mets agreed to pay a portion of Alomar's salary this year...

Reinsdorf is damn lucky the Sox are in the worst division in baseball....and we really haven't won anything yet this year, not to mention facing a killer schedule the rest of the way....

For as long as Reinsdorf and his crew maintain ownership, there will always be an adversarial relationship with the fans...Reiney insists that if fans show up, he's spend.....Fans insist that if Reiney spends, they'll show up, and round and round.....

Just remember, Reinsdorf is not concerned about the fans or what they think....if he was, Manuel would have been gone a long time ago....if he was, Comiskey II would never have been built in its current form, only to be deemed outdated 10 years later....

voodoochile
08-09-2003, 12:42 PM
Dear Mr. R,

For years you have been telling me that the reason that we can acquire that one extra FA is that the fans don't support this team. Our response has always been that we would support this team to our death if we felt you were making the moves to support the fans and the club. I think we finally are on the same page. I hope this newfound agreement holds true for years to come, not just the remainder of 2003.

When Kenny Williams successfully added to veteran all-stars to shore up some of our weaknesses, I was thrilled. I had been to 3 games early in the season, but in celebration, I went out and bought a new Sox jersey, a new Sox hat and 4 lower box tickets to 7 other games for the rest of the season. I also encouraged my friends to come with me to games. Now was our chance! I am not alone. Over the past four home games, we have seen almost 135,000 fans in attendance. (I was responsible for 8 of those myself) The rest of this homestand should be equally as filled. (averaging 32,500 per).

So...you took the first step...you expanded payroll...we took the next step. We bought liscensed material. We bought tickets to games. We bought food. We bought beer. And we cheered our beloved Sox on. We will continue all year to do this because we appreciate the effort made to put a winner on the field. Next it is your turn to follow on the good will. It may be too late to add a significant player to the roster for this year. And that is fine with me. However, you owe it to us to reinvest some of this revenue from our increased spending in the club for the future. Please sit down with KW at some point in time and allocate funds to resigning Buehrle and Colon. Try to work a deal out to keep Robbie Alomar here. Please allocate funds to making a legitimate attempt to pursue a FA SS or a FA 2B if we lose Alomar. Make legitimate bids at a lock-down closer. (We know you tried with Koch, but that obviously hasn't worked) Continue to invest (as we know you have) in the development of a top notch farm system. Pay back our support, attendance and spending with a fair effort to do the same in 2004. You have made some efforts in the past (Belle, Wells, etc.) and we hope you do so again in the future.

Sincerely...

A Die-hard Sox Fan

You should e-mail that to the Sox... Check their website for a fan input address...

jabrch
08-09-2003, 12:46 PM
Originally posted by captain54
the additional roster moves the Sox made this year hardly made a dent in JR's wallet.....the Mets agreed to pay a portion of Alomar's salary this year...

That true...but it was an effort...more than we saw in past years

For as long as Reinsdorf and his crew maintain ownership, there will always be an adversarial relationship with the fans...Reiney insists that if fans show up, he's spend.....Fans insist that if Reiney spends, they'll show up, and round and round.....

Lets see...Fans are showing up. Assuming this keeps going, he should honor his end of the deal and pay up next year to get us a top tier FA and keep our pitching staff together.

Just remember, Reinsdorf is not concerned about the fans or what they think....if he was, Manuel would have been gone a long time ago....if he was, Comiskey II would never have been built in its current form, only to be deemed outdated 10 years later....

I disagree...just cuz the fans were clamouring for JM's dismissal, doesn't make it right. And New Comiskey was not entirely Reinsdorf's fault. The Chicago Stadium Authority (or whomever it was) was largely responsible for the design of the stadium.

Hey...for now, he is the owner of this team....Let's give him a chance.

captain54
08-09-2003, 12:54 PM
[QUOTE]

Hey...for now, he is the owner of this team....Let's give him a chance.

Not according to what I've read over the years, particulary the consultants that were hired and then shot down my JR when they suggested making the area around Comiskey more fan friendly...not to mention the extra layer of now vacant skyboxes that pushed the upper deck into the stratosphere..

let's not forget this ownership has had 20+ years of chances....

jabrch
08-09-2003, 12:56 PM
True, but let's not forget this ownership has had 20+ years of chances....

Yes they have...but we really don't have a choice but to give them another chance. We aren't gonna cheer for anyone else...we have no other ownership for now. We have tried to stop going to games to make this ownership sell and that never worked. We have a contender here. Lets see how it all plays out and support them for now?

jabrch
08-09-2003, 01:17 PM
Originally posted by voodoochile
You should e-mail that to the Sox... Check their website for a fan input address...

I couldn't find it myself..any ideas?

jabrch
08-09-2003, 01:38 PM
Working a deal with Robbie Alomar NOW to extend him for 2 or 3 years. As I understand it, once the season is over we have to either offer him a deal with no more than a 20% paycut or we lose negotiation rights until May 15th. Locking him down for 3 years would be sweet. (I just hope he doesn't end up with a Julio Cruz type deal)

Or lock Colon or Buehrle down? Extend Loaiza a year or two... Do something now to thank the Fans for coming....we will keep coming if we feel appreciated.

Lip Man 1
08-09-2003, 01:58 PM
Mail it to him at the following address:

Mr. Jerry Reinsdorf
Chairman / CEO
Chicago White Sox
333 W. 35th Street
Chicago, Il. 60616

Lip

gosox41
08-11-2003, 12:33 AM
I couldn't find it myself..any ideas?

Snail mail it directly to him or go to the 'Contact Us' section of the web site. I've e-mailed the team a couple of times and have always gotten a repsonse by somebody (though not JR directly.)

Bob