PDA

View Full Version : Carol Slezak is a clueless idiot.

DVG
08-09-2003, 01:49 AM
Well, Carol Slezak becomes the latest dope/dip in the Chicago
Sporting media. Her article on the first night game at Wrigley
continues to carry on the myth that the Cubs lost the home
field advantage in the 1984 playoffs.

I'm not going to harp on it, I have done so many times before.
I'll just say that it has gotten so bad that the Cubs themselves,
specifically Ryne Sandberg and Rick Sutcliffe, now believe it. How
monumentally stupid can some people be?

Hey, Les!!! GROBBER!!! LES GROBSTEIN!!!! HELP!!!! Are you the
ONLY person in the Chicago media who knows that this story
about losing a home game in the playoffs is an outright B.S.
lie? HELP!

doogiec
08-09-2003, 09:55 AM
I'm guessing there may be some people out here who don't know the whole story on this either. If I'm insulting those who do know the history of this, I apologize.

In 1984 when the Cubs won the NL East, home field advantage for the best of 5 game league championship series alternated between divisions each year. Also home field advantage for the World Series alternated between leagues each year also, as it has until this season. Best record had nothing to do with any of it. In 1984, home field advantage in the NLCS belonged to the NL West Champs (SD) and in the ALCS to the AL East Champs. In the World Series, home field advantage belonged to the National League. Also, the World Series began on Tues/Wed back then, continued on Fri/Sat/Sun and ended on the next Tues/Wed, as there was one less round of playoffs.

Major League baseball was concerned about the Cubs making it to the World Series and having day games on four week days. In order to keep the World Series at Wrigley, MLB decided that if the Cubs were to beat SD and play in the World Series, they would lose home field advantage and play the middle three weekend games during the day at Wrigley so TV ratings would not be affected. The Cubs NEVER had home field advantage in the NLCS, and therefore never lost home field advantage. Since the same network had both the NLCS and ALCS, they had no problem with one day game and one night game each day, since that's how it would have been scheduled anyway.

This myth is perpetuated by Cub fans and the media to this day, its almost as bad as the "Harry was always the Cubs announcer" myth.

DrCrawdad
08-09-2003, 10:29 AM
Originally posted by DVG
Well, Carol Slezak becomes the latest dope/dip in the Chicago
Sporting media. Her article on the first night game at Wrigley
continues to carry on the myth that the Cubs lost the home
field advantage in the 1984 playoffs...

Do you have a link to the article, or quotes from it? I looked at SunTimes.com and couldn't find anything written by Carol about the article.

TommyJohn
08-10-2003, 12:35 AM
Originally posted by DrCrawdad
Do you have a link to the article, or quotes from it? I looked at SunTimes.com and couldn't find anything written by Carol about the article.

I have been looking in the Sun-Times archive online and cannot
find it. It was a feature story, not her regular column. I'll look
and see if I still have the actual paper to post the quote.

Dan H
08-10-2003, 09:25 AM
I didn't read this article because I don't care about the Cubs or their history. But no one should expect the Chicago media to get historical facts correct. They have no sense of history and never will.

I see Carol has an article praising the Cubs radio broadcast team in the Sunday Sun-Times. I could only stomach a couple paragraphs. The Pat Hughes and Ron Santo combination is awful. I don't want to listen to them for even a minute even if I want to check and see if the Cubs are going down to another defeat.

Carol Slezak has done some good stories. But sometimes I really wonder about her.

ShoelessFred
08-10-2003, 04:11 PM
Carol Slezak has done some good stories. But sometimes I really wonder about her.

she is just a waste of space. i remember reading one of her first articles, where her subject was her wanting scottie pippen to start calling himself SCOTT pippen because he was getting older and mature. i was like ***? total moron.

pudge
08-11-2003, 12:03 AM
Originally posted by ShoelessFred
she is just a waste of space. i remember reading one of her first articles, where her subject was her wanting scottie pippen to start calling himself SCOTT pippen because he was getting older and mature. i was like ***? total moron.

agreed. i read like three of her worthless atricles and never read another one ever again.

soxwon
08-11-2003, 12:09 AM
she is just a waste of space. i remember reading one of her first articles, where her subject was her wanting scottie pippen to start calling himself SCOTT pippen because he was getting older and mature. i was like ***? total moron

WELL I FOR ONE WISH THEY WOULDNT CALL THEM CUBBIES its CUBS grow up
maybe im a moron too... but it irks me its CUBS not you know.

TommyJohn
08-11-2003, 05:07 AM
Originally posted by DrCrawdad

Dr. Crawdad,

I couldn't find it online, but I did still have the paper, so I cut out the article. Here is the part that riled me up:

"In 1985, during the height of Tribune Co.'s political and legal battle for lights, commissioner Peter Ueberroth announced that all World Series games must be played at night to satisfy network television commitments.

The Cubs already had been burned by not having lights. In 1984,
they were forced to give up home-field advantage in their play-
off series against the Padres. After winning the first two games
of the series, day games at Wrigley, the Cubs played the next
three games in San Diego and lost all three. If only for one more
home game...

'When it's a best-of-five playoff series and you have a home game
taken away, that plays a very big role' [Ryne] Sandberg said. 'For
postseason games, for the World Series games, for All-Star games
it was important to get lights.' "

So there you have it. The myth has become so pervasive that even the Cubs themselves now believe it. They should know
better, they played in the damn series.

I felt like writing Slezak an e-mail about this, but I've written
about it until I'm blue in the face. I'm tired of it. I wish that I
was in a position to write about it in big letters in either the
Times or Trib. Not that it would matter. People would shrug it
off as a jealous Sox fan who can't blame his team's postsea-
son failures on some mythical "lost home-field advantage."

Craw, if you read this, you should drop an e-mail about the
myth to Les Grobstein. He seems to be the only Cub fan left
who knows that the story is a flat-out lie.

As for Carol Slezak, I like her otherwise; although when I read
her Santo/Hughes stuff, I couldn't help but think of KingXerxes'
Hawk/DJ Rooney/Farmer parodies. Seems WSI is a couple of
steps ahead of the Chicago sports media.

Hangar18
08-11-2003, 12:43 PM
What a Stupid article. This bogus article should be filed under Cubpoganda/filler-material-article-actually-makes-story-subjects-look-bad-but-favor-them-anyway. She successfully is able to paint a picture of what it is these two bozo's actually sound like in the Booth, and its anything but informative. I SWEAR, Media FOLK read our POSTS HERE, and get Ideas for their stories, because she quietly implies that Santo is turning into the 21st Century Harry Caray with the meandering conversations, butchering of names, lack of quality insight, poor baseball acumen (even though hes an ex player, imagine that). Ive been saying this for a while, Santos a nice guy, but he is hands down one of the worst announcers out there today. Pat Hughes is a Buffoon trying to play Abbott to Santos Costello, and it doesnt work. His monotone, overly optimistic view on every single baseball situation makes me Feel like hes PANDERING to my senses rather than just announce the dang game. He too is guilty of reading inane Emails and going off on tangents regarding silly non-baseball related requests from listeners like
Elaine Shistakis from Keokuk IA wants to say HEY! she loves the cubs and wants to know why Ronnie doesnt go down on the field and punch baylor in the nose, for his bullpen use". Awful awful baseball coverage. NOW...if you were sitting next to these guys in the stands, thats different. Inane and un professionalism would go well there, not in the booth. SLEAZAK somehow lets these guys off the hook, (kind of like Jim Caple of ESPN DID) and says its still enjoyable. Thats like me trying to sell YOU a house, and inform you that the Roof Leaks, the basement Floods, you'll need a new deck and garage, the neighborhoods bad, the area is depriciating, water pressures bad, your neighbors are Crack Addicts, and the schools are awful, But ITS STILL A GREAT HOUSE. Just another example of CUB-POGANDA run wild.