PDA

View Full Version : May 25, 2002

cheeses_h_rice
08-08-2003, 11:59 PM
That is the last time the Sox were in first place in the AL Central. 1 year, 2+ months of seeing the Twinkies and Royals above us.

Can't say it doesn't feel good to be on top after all this time!

:gulp:

manuelsucks
08-09-2003, 12:05 AM
Aww, it is sweet to be back on top. I remember those good old days. We deserve it and should have been there more often.

WinningUgly!
08-09-2003, 12:08 AM
Originally posted by cheeses_h_rice
That is the last time the Sox were in first place in the AL Central. 1 year, 2+ months of seeing the Twinkies and Royals above us.

Can't say it doesn't feel good to be on top after all this time!

:gulp:

Thanks to the Twinkies & Royals for keeping our seat warm while we were gone. Time to push the record to 10 games over .500, then put some serious distance between us & the bad guys. I don't like the idea of being in a real tight race heading into the last week & a half of the season, with 7 of our last 10 games being against KC. Although, thinking back to 2000, when JM benched everybody at the end of the season & pissed away every last drop of momentum with the divison so far out of reach...maybe a tight race down the final stretch would be the better option. I don't care either way as long as the Sox end up winning the Central!

TornLabrum
08-09-2003, 12:20 AM
Originally posted by WinningUgly!
Thanks to the Twinkies & Royals for keeping our seat warm while we were gone. Time to push the record to 10 games over .500, then put some serious distance between us & the bad guys. I don't like the idea of being in a real tight race heading into the last week & a half of the season, with 7 of our last 10 games being against KC. Although, thinking back to 2000, when JM benched everybody at the end of the season & pissed away every last drop of momentum with the divison so far out of reach...maybe a tight race down the final stretch would be the better option. I don't care either way as long as the Sox end up winning the Central!

:jerry

"If I did that, then I could rest four players for the first game of the Division Series!"

Hangar18
08-09-2003, 01:26 AM
I was at the game this evening...and was COOL to meet
CHeesyRice ...

RKMeibalane
08-09-2003, 12:11 PM
The Sox could have gotten back into first place during May of 2002, but they weren't able to do so. Why?

*TINKER* *TINKER* *TINKER*

I hope Manuel doesn't find some way to screw this up. The Sox continue to win in spite of him, not because of him.

TornLabrum
08-09-2003, 12:20 PM
Originally posted by RKMeibalane
The Sox could have gotten back into first place during May of 2002, but they weren't able to do so. Why?

*TINKER* *TINKER* *TINKER*

I hope Manuel doesn't find some way to screw this up. The Sox continue to win in spite of him, not because of him.

About an hour ago I wrote my "Fallen Arches" for this week. How many times have you heard in the media now, "A month ago Jerry Manuel was a bum, now he's a genius." I started from this premise and said that most of the people I know think that we're winning in spite of him. Thanks for helping confirm my thesis.

RKMeibalane
08-09-2003, 12:25 PM
Originally posted by TornLabrum
About an hour ago I wrote my "Fallen Arches" for this week. How many times have you heard in the media now, "A month ago Jerry Manuel was a bum, now he's a genius." I started from this premise and said that most of the people I know think that we're winning in spite of him. Thanks for helping confirm my thesis.

Don't mention it. I really believe that the Sox have an opportunity to take the rest of the Amiercan League by storm over the last seven weeks of the season. However, much will depend on how the team responds to success. Several times, they have been on the verge of taking control of the AL Central, only to give the division right back to the Royals.

Now that they're in first place all by themselves, they need to focus putting some distance between themselves and Kansas City. The Royals are on the ropes. The Sox need to deliver a knockout punch, while they still have time.

adsit
08-09-2003, 12:39 PM

After thanking me (us) this morning for helping keep the Red Sox on top of the wildcard pile in spite of their double loss, my neighbor said... "so how did they (WS) do it? Did they lock Jerry Manuel in the clubhouse?" This without any prompting from me, and not much of a history of baseball talk between us at all. He came up with that on his own, through Boston-tinted glasses.

I'd also heard the comment on air a few days ago (can't remember where) on the order of "Manuel critics are shutting up in a hurry now that Chicago's winning games," and the (co-host, guest?) replied "That won't last long... whether they win or not, he has a knack of drawing attention to himself."

Myself, I'd like to cut Jer some slack... I really would. Leaving Buehrle in last night was a step in the right direction. Being genuinely surprised he did that tells me he's got a ways to go.

voodoochile
08-09-2003, 12:39 PM

A month ago he was trying to prove he was a genius with all the tinkering - which proved he was an idiot. Now he isn't trying to prove anything and the tinkering has stopped and all of a sudden he is a genius.

All the idiots in the press who are ripping on Sox fans for ripping on Jerry are suddenly "big picture" guys who don't want to look at the actual reasons the fans dislike Manuel and why the Sox are suddenly winning. They just assume that the Sox left well enough alone and "Ta-DAAAAAA" winning team. No, the Sox convinced Jerry to leave the lineup alone and then the Sox started to win. Downey is the worst of them. Him and his "I told you I was right about Manuel" attitude can jump off the Sears Tower and don't bother to wave on the way down. Maybe Manuel has suddenly achieved Buddha-like enlightenment. On the other hand, maybe he realized he was dead wrong and about to get fired...