PDA

View Full Version : Could Maggs have a HOF career?

xil357
08-08-2003, 10:12 PM
I know it is yet VERY early but I read that he just hit is 171st homer against the A's. Stunning. He's still pretty young, has consistently hit for average and has played a respectable right field. Could he project out to 500 homers with a .300 average for his career, given continued health? If so, does that get him in the hall in 20 years?

People started to talk about Frank as a first ballot HOF after his first few seasons (I predicted he would make the Hall when he was still in AA Birmingham -- ask my friends from 8th grade -- but that's another story). I know that Maggs is no Frank of 91-97 and 2000, but Maggs has been incredibly productive and consistent, if quiet, to this point.

Am I just :gulp: or does Maggs have a chance if he keeps up his pace?

:)

inta
08-08-2003, 10:13 PM
do you think palmeiro has had a HOF career?

xil357
08-08-2003, 10:21 PM
Originally posted by inta
do you think palmeiro has had a HOF career?

What is this? Answer a question with a question?

500 homers is the magic number for me. Palmeiro is in if I'm voting.

So, will you answer me about Maggs now? :)

Can he get to 500 HRs with a .300 average? At his current pace, would it be enough?

WhiteSox = Life
08-08-2003, 10:46 PM
If Ordonez can continue how he has hit the last few years, keep up his defense, and get to 200 steals, then I believe the Sox currently have three future HoF'ers on the team.

inta
08-08-2003, 10:47 PM
i'd say it's easily feasible for him to hit 500 HR's.
i mean he's only 28/29 years old.

he could easily become a huge homerun hitter later in his career like mcguire, or bonds, he's got the mechanics.

hopefully he never becomes injury riddled like griffey and falls off the radar...

MarkEdward
08-08-2003, 10:53 PM
For what it's worth, here is baseball-reference's similarity score for Mags:

Similar Batters through Age 28
Fred Lynn (952)
Wally Berger (950)
Danny Tartabull (943)
Mike Sweeney (939)
Tim Salmon (936)
Dave Parker (934)
George Bell (933)
Bobby Abreu (933)
Tony Oliva (931)
Larry Walker (929)

Not too impressive, but the scoring system isn't perfect.

WhiteSox = Life
08-08-2003, 11:01 PM
Originally posted by MarkEdward
For what it's worth, here is baseball-reference's similarity score for Mags:

Similar Batters through Age 28
Fred Lynn (952)
Wally Berger (950)
Danny Tartabull (943)
Mike Sweeney (939)
Tim Salmon (936)
Dave Parker (934)
George Bell (933)
Bobby Abreu (933)
Tony Oliva (931)
Larry Walker (929)

Not too impressive, but the scoring system isn't perfect.

I think Magglio can become a Hall of Famer, but I see one problem with his chances. Magglio has failed to have a full season of the tremendous stats he has shown he can complie. Last year, when he finished with those great numbers, he did most of his damage in the second half. This year has been somewhat similar. He's right about his prime now, so we'll see where he takes it in the next several years.

I'm hoping to the upper, upper echelon.

doublem23
08-09-2003, 02:14 AM
Hmmm... Maybe me ol' memory is failing me, but I recall last year being the only year Maggs was really on a tear from April to September. Usually he starts off slow heats up with the weather (which, by the way, is my paranoid conspiracy theory as to why the Sox bats were so quiet for most of the first half).

As of now, his 162-game average is 31 homers. If he keeps that up until he's 35 (6 more years afte this one), he'll have around 300 homers and an average around .310 or so... I think he may need a ring to get serious consideration, but maybe he'll bulk up and get better with age.

WhiteSox = Life
08-09-2003, 03:40 AM
Originally posted by doublem23
Hmmm... Maybe me ol' memory is failing me, but I recall last year being the only year Maggs was really on a tear from April to September. Usually he starts off slow heats up with the weather (which, by the way, is my paranoid conspiracy theory as to why the Sox bats were so quiet for most of the first half).

As of now, his 162-game average is 31 homers. If he keeps that up until he's 35 (6 more years afte this one), he'll have around 300 homers and an average around .310 or so... I think he may need a ring to get serious consideration, but maybe he'll bulk up and get better with age.

Maybe. I do know that after the all-star snub last year, Magglio went crazy and wound up with just a few less runs batted in than A-Rod had. If he could take the second half of last year and equate that to about 3 or 4 years, he's going to pile up some tremendous numbers in a hurry. It's not easy to maintain such fantastic numbers throughout a whole season, though. Some players have been blessed to do so and some take a special blessing.

:nandrolone
"Blessin' been bery, bery good to me."

kevingrt
08-09-2003, 11:04 AM
Yeah, I could see him having 450 or 500 HR's and batting a career .300 AVG... I hope those numbers would get you into the HOF... I mean if Rafeal gets in Maggs can keep up a good pace and pass Rafeal easier then many would think

The one tough thing is INJURIES!

34 Inch Stick
08-09-2003, 11:16 AM
I think he will really need something that gives him national exposure. A few playoff trips in a row, a ring or an MVP season would make him into one of those automatic All Stars. Those players tend to be overrated throughout their careers and into their post careers. However, it also gets them into the HOF.

Saracen
08-09-2003, 11:30 AM
Raffy has 518 homers and will have 3000 hits too. EITHER of those 2 things get someone into the HOF - Raffy will have both.
I don't know why there's any debate about Raffy at all.

As to Maggs, it's a shame he didn't come up till he was older. Right now he's 29 - let's assume he doesn't have any major injuries and plays 10 more years making him 39.

To catch Raffy's stats, Maggs would need to average: 35 homers, 168 hits, and 102 RBI's. Certainly doable. But a lot more doable if Maggs were a couple years younger.