PDA

View Full Version : North & Buffone Cheering for the Royals?

Viva Magglio
08-08-2003, 03:17 PM
Are the "Wise Guys" cheering for the Kansas City Royals and against us??? If that is the case, it is yet another reason to turn North and Buffone off. That is, if any of you are still listening to them. I happened to catch North today worrying about the Royals falling out of first place. The reason they are worried is because North & Buffone said they would get crewcuts if the Sox spend 24 hours in first place.

This is proof that North is the biggest dope in the Chicago media. And Buffone should be his own man and not be led down the gutter path by Pappy.

SoxFanDan
08-08-2003, 03:20 PM
Deep down they are cheering for the Sox, because when(i hope) they get the crew cuts they will get chicago media coverage.

FJA
08-08-2003, 03:22 PM
Originally posted by ˇViva Mágglio!
Are the "Wise Guys" cheering for the Kansas City Royals and against us??? If that is the case, it is yet another reason to turn North and Buffone off. That is, if any of you are still listening to them. I happened to catch North today worrying about the Royals falling out of first place. The reason they are worried is because North & Buffone said they would get crewcuts if the Sox spend 24 hours in first place.

This is proof that North is the biggest dope in the Chicago media. And Buffone should be his own man and not be led down the gutter path by Pappy.

North was on Cub Lover TV two weeks ago or so, and he said something to the effect of, "mark my words, by this time next week, the Sox will be buried and the Cubs will be on their way to the playoffs."

North is an idiot ... I know he's a sometime Sox fan, but if he's really more concerned about getting a haircut than his "favorite" team winning, I don't want him on the bandwagon anyway.

fledgedrallycap
08-08-2003, 03:36 PM
North considers himself a Sox fan yet has nothing good to say about the team. That whole station has more fun making fun of our teams when they are down in the dumps than having fun when we are blessed to have a competitive ballclub - or in this case - ballclubs. When is the last time both sides of town had legitimate playoff hopes in August? Anyway, tune to AM1000 if you want accurate reporting and recieve a better vibe of the typical fan. Classic example was on Wednesday, Boers and Berstien had these Ned Flander wanna-be's calling in whining about their son Oppie hearing the f-bomb in the upper deck while Afternoon Thunder was talking about the fact we took 2 of 3 from the Royals - which is what really matters! I gave up on North long ago and you're right, all he is doing is dragging a great football guy into the ground with him. If 1000 could grab another local show in the morning - The Score would be finished.

captain54
08-08-2003, 03:58 PM
Originally posted by ˇViva Mágglio!
This is proof that North is the biggest dope in the Chicago media.

The only way to get this clown off the air is:

1)listen to the SCORE as little as possible...
2)let the eating and drinking establishments he plugs know that you and your friends will absolutely not be bringing business there as long as North is on the air....

I actually used to like North....I've called in a couple of times and got on the air and it was cool....that was when he a regular "Joe six pack kind of guy".....now I think basically he is a fake and a fraud...

I heard the unthinkable the other day when I tuned in to get the score of the Twins day game, and I don't know if he was serious or not, but if he was, then this goof needs professional help....

Like I said,I could be wrong or misunderstood the bit, but I thought I heard him make a comment about his dad, and now that his dad is dead and in the ground, he wanted to put sort of an additional memo on the tombstone that said "Now, YOU'RE grounded!".....(referring to all the times his father "grounded" or punished him as a kid...)

I wonder if any one else heard this and had the same reaction I did....

Mammoo
08-08-2003, 04:10 PM
When WSCR initially signed on in the early nineties, they portrayed themselves as a bunch of jolly, regular guy sports fans, sitting around having a beer and shooting the breeze. The frequency changed through the years but the “fans station’ mantra lived on. There weren’t many media experts around town that gave them a snowballs chance of lasting six months, but last they did; an accomplishment in which those involved should be eternally proud. When it came to sports talk, they were the only show in town and had things pretty much there own way.

These days, the hosts maintain a decidedly edgy posture, while sports banter gives way to tiresome sexual references and sophomoric silliness. Amazingly, callers on “the fans station” are often subjected to a variety of affronts for speaking their minds. What happened to the “Joe Barstool” mentality that first endeared listeners? Evidently, the environment around the station became more adversarial as things rolled along. It seemed to manifest itself in the product. One charter host, Dan McNeil saw what was happening, bailed and landed on his feet at AM1000, a seemingly happier man. Some that stayed behind turn in professional efforts; others sadly mail it in.

The good news for sports radio consumers is the continued success of the WMVP AM1000 “Mac (McNeil), Jurko (Jurkovic) and Harry (Teinowitz)” afternoon show that has managed to stick to sports and still turn in an entertaining offering. Although the ESPN affiliate continues it’s strong national presence, a decided local flavor is taking shape with additional local programming featuring Marc Silverman, Carmen DeFalco, Tom Shaer, Dave Wills Tommy Williams and Les Grobstein.

When Mike North is interviewing Frankie Avalon, hit the button and get back to sports talk at AM1000. If you’re fed up to here with fantasy football on “MJH” make a return trip to “The Score” AM670; maybe the Avalon interview is over. It’s all about choices.

If what you hear on one station doesn’t fill a need, hit that button until you find one that does. Eventually, they’ll start listening to you.

Konerkoholic
08-09-2003, 02:36 AM
Mike North is an absolute moron. Before the series in KC, he says on his show, "I got the Royals winning 2 out of 3." The Sox go on to sweep. He never has anything good to say about the team.
I'll listen to Julie Sweica's new show anytime I want to listen to White Sox conversation. She is much nicer and has a lot more to say about baseball than that idiot with a fake Chicago accent.

Nellie_Fox
08-09-2003, 03:26 AM
When I was still living the in the Chicago area, I coined a phrase for Mike North: "aggressively ignorant." It didn't matter if he was proved wrong, he'd continue to insist on his way (reminds me of the unlamented Bmr.) He'd respond to proof that he was wrong with a statement along the lines of "yeah, but I still think..."

dickallen15
08-09-2003, 10:36 AM
North wanted Wimpy's job when it became available, and I believe Hawk put in a word for him. Maybe since DJ got the job, he's holding a grudge.

jabrch
08-09-2003, 10:44 AM
I remember when we were down 7 or 8 games before the break he said we were done and should trade Buehrle and Colon and rebuild again. However a lot of people said that, some even on this board...

North is a boob...we all know that. They are cartoon characters looking for attention. I'd just as soon not give it to them and make them earn the listeners again.

To anyone form WSCR listening...Reign your boys back in...all of them...Boers and Bernstein, North and Buffone, etc. Get them back to sports and off of sex, racism and music. Stop making the show repulsive to people just to make it attractive to others. Or we will stop listening.

FoulTerritory
08-09-2003, 11:36 AM
Originally posted by jabrch
I remember when we were down 7 or 8 games before the break he said we were done and should trade Buehrle and Colon and rebuild again. However a lot of people said that, some even on this board...

North is a boob...we all know that. They are cartoon characters looking for attention. I'd just as soon not give it to them and make them earn the listeners again.

To anyone form WSCR listening...Reign your boys back in...all of them...Boers and Bernstein, North and Buffone, etc. Get them back to sports and off of sex, racism and music. Stop making the show repulsive to people just to make it attractive to others. Or we will stop listening.

I agree with almost everything thats been said here, and in the thread as a whole. But I must admit, I like Bernstein. He's the one guy at the Score I can stomach. I think he is actually quite funny, and he also has an intellectual side to him.

But yeah, North . . . this guy has completely lost it, and it is disturbing to watch Buffone turn into his lackey follower. Good greif buffone, grow a brain for yourself buddy.

Brad

And PS -- I am in Bloomington and unfortunately don't get WMVP, so if I want sports radio, its the Score or bust for me. A sucky situation.

jabrch
08-09-2003, 11:54 AM
is funny...sure...and intellectual...sure...

But he needs to stick to sports more and be more of a leader. It appears as if he has sunk to gutter talk with his retarded uncle; Terry Boers. Terry knows sports...but he has gotten far too much away from it and far too much talking towards sexual innuendo and other assorted sillyness.

kevingrt
08-09-2003, 12:02 PM
I didn't even know people at WSI still listened to North and Buffone. They are so completely stupid I can't help myself. And Buffone used to be good by himself, but the dark side took him over...

Wellnow at least they get to look like idiots in their new crew cuts!

brewcrew/chisox
08-09-2003, 12:24 PM
Originally posted by FoulTerritory

I agree with almost everything thats been said here, and in the thread as a whole. But I must admit, I like Bernstein. He's the one guy at the Score I can stomach. I think he is actually quite funny, and he also has an intellectual side to him.

But yeah, North . . . this guy has completely lost it, and it is disturbing to watch Buffone turn into his lackey follower. Good greif buffone, grow a brain for yourself buddy.

Brad

And PS -- I am in Bloomington and unfortunately don't get WMVP, so if I want sports radio, its the Score or bust for me. A sucky situation.

I like listening to Bernstein as well. The man has wit, which unfortunately has been of a scarcity around the Score (ala Mike North's "Now You're Grounded" statement). I've also really grown to like J-Hood, a sox guy who isn't afraid to talk all sox all the time.

As far as North.....I've said this before....an idiot, who needs to be selling hot dogs again. In addition, he's a racist, which for me is inexcusable. I just can't see what the big attraction to him is? Who the heck is listening to him? Everyone I know shares this thread's general loathing for everything he says. Is there more of a trailerpark population within striking distance of North's incessant ramblings than I'm aware?

When I think of Mike North, the hallowed words of the great poet, Steve Malkamaus come to mind, "A redder shade of neck on a whiter shade of trash"

captain54
08-09-2003, 12:46 PM
Originally posted by brewcrew/chisox
I just can't see what the big attraction to him is? Who the heck is listening to him?

:ass

"you'd be amazed at all the people out there that enjoy listening to my blow by blow accounts of my sex life with the wife....even though there's not much to it, 5-7 minutes, tops...."

Viva Magglio
08-09-2003, 01:30 PM
Originally posted by Nellie_Fox
When I was still living the in the Chicago area, I coined a phrase for Mike North: "aggressively ignorant." It didn't matter if he was proved wrong, he'd continue to insist on his way (reminds me of the unlamented Bmr.) He'd respond to proof that he was wrong with a statement along the lines of "yeah, but I still think..."

One of the best terms for North came when he and Jiggetts had the late Washington Redskins owner Jack Kent Cooke on the line. North said to Cooke that the Redskins' new stadium, now FedEx Field, was being built 55 miles outside of Washington. Cooke went off on North. In addition to the famous "Are you the 55-miler?" question, Cooke called North a blatherskite which is defined as "a babbling, foolish person."

captain54
08-09-2003, 03:29 PM
Originally posted by Konerkoholic
Mike North is an absolute moron.

another little background info on Mike North...

way back in the late 70's/early 80's, there was a theatre on north Halsted called St. Nicholas Theatre Co, one of the original storefront Chicago theatres that was breeding ground to some great early talent, the playwright David Mamet, for example....they had a theatre school to keep some revenue flowing in....pretty much any could take classes there....I had some friends that taught there, and Mike North took acting classes there..

gang, if there was any reason to not listen to North it is that he is a total fraud....this guy fancies himself a local treasure, a rising star, he's trying to use this radio sports thing as a way to get noticed for whatever visions of stardom he has for himself....

you would have thought this guy would have learned from what happened to Jonathon Brandmeir and Steve Dahl that the "shock jock" stuff is passe...nobody gives a damn.....unless you're Howard Stern (who invented it) and then your just looked upon as ringmaster of a national freak show....

The Jack Kent Cooke interview was priceless.....also up there was the incident with Pat Riley when North asked a really stupid question that pissed off Riley and got North tossed out of the building....

Viva Magglio
08-09-2003, 11:00 PM
Per Laurence Holmes of the Score's "Me and Z" show, the Wise Guys DID NOT escape having to get crewcuts despite our falling into second place tonight. That is because we managed to stay in first place for at least a 24 hour period. Even when the Royals won pulling us into a temporary tie, we were still in first and our game went long enough to keep us in first place for the time needed.

:ass
"Who you crappin', Viva?"

TornLabrum
08-10-2003, 01:19 AM
Originally posted by captain54
you would have thought this guy would have learned from what happened to Jonathon Brandmeir and Steve Dahl that the "shock jock" stuff is passe...nobody gives a damn.....unless you're Howard Stern (who invented it) and then your just looked upon as ringmaster of a national freak show....

Um...Dahl, if he didn't invent the job description of shock jock, was one of the first. And if you take a look at the dates, he was doing it in Detroit and Chicago before Stern ever had a radio gig.

You don't get credit for being an inventor when you're the second generation.

Nellie_Fox
08-16-2003, 12:51 AM
Originally posted by jabrch
...his retarded uncle; Terry Boers. Terry knows sports...but he has gotten far too much away from it and far too much talking towards sexual innuendo and other assorted sillyness. Excuse me, but I've been away from Chicago for over five years now. When did Boers ever do anything but make sexual references? Usually homoerotic? That's been his schtick the whole time. You can't move "toward" something that you've always been doing.

TornLabrum
08-16-2003, 01:23 AM
Excuse me, but I've been away from Chicago for over five years now. When did Boers ever do anything but make sexual references? Usually homoerotic? That's been his schtick the whole time. You can't move "toward" something that you've always been doing.

Let's just say, it's more pronounced. Boers and Bernstein had some of the worst radio in the history of Chicago this afternoon (and in a city that once gave us Barney Pipp, that's saying something) with their "George Ofman Sound Alike Contest." It was like watching a train wreck. I couldn't turn it off. It was horrible but fascinating.

vegyrex
08-16-2003, 07:51 PM
Originally posted by TornLabrum
Um...Dahl, if he didn't invent the job description of shock jock, was one of the first. And if you take a look at the dates, he was doing it in Detroit and Chicago before Stern ever had a radio gig.

You don't get credit for being an inventor when you're the second generation.

That's right. Dahl predated Stern. I biography of Stern, I forget who wrote it, even says Dahl was first.

dickallen15
08-17-2003, 01:04 PM
Excuse me, but I've been away from Chicago for over five years now. When did Boers ever do anything but make sexual references? Usually homoerotic? That's been his schtick the whole time. You can't move "toward" something that you've always been doing.

He's gotta talk about it. Look at him , he sure ain't gettin' any

duke of dorwood
08-17-2003, 02:09 PM
I never turn that station on, and I'm still alive and better informed.

DONT LISTEN