PDA

View Full Version : Sox in Champaign...

MarkEdward
08-08-2003, 01:01 PM
OK, so I've kind of been roped into going to the Bears' game this Saturday (against my will). I still want to listen to the Sox game, though. So are the Sox on any radio stations in Champaign?

FJA
08-08-2003, 01:06 PM
Originally posted by MarkEdward
OK, so I've kind of been roped into going to the Bears' game this Saturday (against my will). I still want to listen to the Sox game, though. So are the Sox on any radio stations in Champaign?

I just graduated, and I spent four years praying for clear skies and trying to turn my antenna just the right way to get AM1000 (it is possible) ... I know there is an affiliate in either Decatur or Danville, but I was never able to get it in.

Hangar18
08-08-2003, 01:17 PM
Get a hold of the Media Guide, and inside, it lists all the SOX Radio Affiliates in Iowa, IL, WI MI, IN. Otherwise, call the Sox and Im sure they'll be happy to get you the info

DonkeyKongerko
08-08-2003, 02:32 PM
Yeah I can pick up AM 1000 on a nice night but that is from the car radio. I don't know what kind of handheld would be able to get you a signal down here.

pl8ump1012
08-08-2003, 02:34 PM
I was only down there this past year so far, and only tried to pick it up on the radio if the game wasnt on TV. Never really had any luck, then again, could have just been the building i was in.

If you find anything, let us know.

FJA
08-08-2003, 02:37 PM
Originally posted by pl8ump1012
I was only down there this past year so far, and only tried to pick it up on the radio if the game wasnt on TV. Never really had any luck, then again, could have just been the building i was in.

If you find anything, let us know.

Nope, wasn't just your building ... I lived in three different buildings in Champaign and couldn't really pick it up in any of them. I used to be able to pick it up in my car if I wasn't next to any buildings taller than two stories.

It was great, though, when you used to be able to get the audio for free over the internet via AM 1000.

ozzman
08-08-2003, 03:33 PM
I found this link of all White Sox affiliated radio stations

http://radioroadtrip.com/cgi-bin/chicagowhitesox.asp?NetworkId=16

Iwritecode
08-08-2003, 03:51 PM
the last time I heard the Sox in champagne was back in 2000 when they clinched the division in the Twinkie Dome...

(rimshot)

Thank you. I'll be here all week. Remember to tip your waitresses.

:D:

adsit
08-08-2003, 04:41 PM
According to the Sox website (http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/cws/schedule/cws_schedule_affiliates.jsp), they're on 1580 AM in Champaign.

Not a terribly impressive radio lineup in terms of numbers... though interesting to see three Iowa stations on the list. Back in the day, Iowa used to be solid Flub country.

mike squires
08-08-2003, 05:14 PM
1580 carries the Sox games when they are on WCIU. Last week I could hear soul music in the background which was a little annoying. ESPN 1000 is usually pretty good in my car but can be very staticy, just depends on if it's stormy or cloudy. My guess is you'll be able to pick it up.

PaleHoseGeorge
08-08-2003, 06:41 PM
Originally posted by adsit
....Not a terribly impressive radio lineup in terms of numbers... though interesting to see three Iowa stations on the list. Back in the day, Iowa used to be solid Flub country.

Before the Cubune bought out Bill Wrigley and began marketing the living hell out of the Flubbies, the AAA team in Des Moines was the Iowa Oaks--an affiliate of the Chicago White Sox. Nearly all the Winnin' Ugly ballplayers spent a stint there. Now Iowans are brainwashed into thinking their state has been rich Flubbie territory for centuries.

Beside Iowa, the Sox blew their advantage in Indiana, too. The AAA Indianapolis Indians belonged to the Sox, but Cincinnati stole them away years ago.

Such is life a Sox Fan... <sigh>

adsit
08-08-2003, 07:44 PM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge
Before the Cubune bought out Bill Wrigley and began marketing the living hell out of the Flubbies, the AAA team in Des Moines was the Iowa Oaks--an affiliate of the Chicago White Sox

I remember when Iowa was our top farm team... but eastern Iowa, where I used to have living relatives, was Flubbie City even back then, and northern Iowa seemed to go either Twins or Cubs. I think the A-ball team in Davenport was a Flub club for a long time, and might still be for all I know.

I've run into a lot of Hoosier Sox fans over the years... seemed to me our fan base was always better there. If the WS network is on the air in places like Rensselaer and Marion, that would still seem to be the case.

duke of dorwood
08-08-2003, 08:12 PM
Sox blew it in all directions-As reported Iowa, and Indy. Remember Appleton and South Bend?

kbriley
08-08-2003, 10:25 PM
I was back in Champaign a couple of times this summer and the radio reception is bad for both of the stations mentioned above. Seems to work ok if you are in the car.

Just wanted to point out that the cable affiliate in chambana does carry both WGN and FSN, so the majority of SOX games are on TV>.....

Nellie_Fox
08-09-2003, 01:40 AM
Just a little off-topic; I thought the Bears were supposed to be back in Soldier Field this year. I obviously don't get a lot of Chicago news up here. Will Soldier Field be ready for the regular-season opener, or is Champaign home for the Bears again this year?

rmusacch
08-09-2003, 01:44 AM
Originally posted by Nellie_Fox
Just a little off-topic; I thought the Bears were supposed to be back in Soldier Field this year. I obviously don't get a lot of Chicago news up here. Will Soldier Field be ready for the regular-season opener, or is Champaign home for the Bears again this year?

The original plan was for the bears to play their home preseason schedule in Champaign and the first two regular season games will be on the road. The first home game in the refurbished stadium will be a Monday night tilt vs. the Packers.

doublem23
08-09-2003, 01:44 AM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge
Before the Cubune bought out Bill Wrigley and began marketing the living hell out of the Flubbies, the AAA team in Des Moines was the Iowa Oaks--an affiliate of the Chicago White Sox. Nearly all the Winnin' Ugly ballplayers spent a stint there. Now Iowans are brainwashed into thinking their state has been rich Flubbie territory for centuries.

Beside Iowa, the Sox blew their advantage in Indiana, too. The AAA Indianapolis Indians belonged to the Sox, but Cincinnati stole them away years ago.

Such is life a Sox Fan... <sigh>

At least we have a stronghold on North Carolina now!

DonkeyKongerko
08-09-2003, 02:11 AM
Originally posted by kbriley
I was back in Champaign a couple of times this summer and the radio reception is bad for both of the stations mentioned above. Seems to work ok if you are in the car.

Just wanted to point out that the cable affiliate in chambana does carry both WGN and FSN, so the majority of SOX games are on TV>.....

And Fox Sports Net Plus games usually come up on the NASA channel as well. It's just thosed pesky WCIU games that I never get to see.

koch44
08-09-2003, 02:13 AM
Does anyone know if the Sox reach Macomb?

Dadawg_77
08-09-2003, 02:17 AM
Bear are playing the preseason and the first few games on the road to have the new statium ready for opening night. Sorry there is no way that is Soldier Field over there.

MikeKreevich
08-09-2003, 09:43 AM
Originally posted by koch44
Does anyone know if the Sox reach Macomb?
It's hard to get AM 1000 anywhere south of Peoria. You might try the Galesberg station (AM 1560) or Quincy (AM 1440). These stations don't carry every game.

adsit
08-09-2003, 09:57 AM
Originally posted by Guzman's Goat
It's hard to get AM 1000 anywhere south of Peoria. You might try the Galesberg station (AM 1560) or Quincy (AM 1440). These stations don't carry every game.

Depending on the weather, the terrain, the quality of your radio antenna, etc. etc., you can sometimes pick up AM1000 after sunset anywhere east of the Rockies. I can sometimes hear it in my car at night here in Massachusetts, but New York has an AM station on 1010 that usually interferes. Until I finally paid for MLB audio, I used to sit in my car in the driveway to catch the late innings of close games.

AM1000 has always had quirky reception. As the old WCFL, it would sometimes crap out past Waukegan, which is why WLS finally buried it back in the day.