PDA

View Full Version : Rick White....Still Property of the Sox?

jabrch
08-08-2003, 12:05 PM
"The Astros inappropriately reached a deal with Rick White, whom they attempted to claim off waivers from the White Sox yesterday.
The Sox designated White for assignment Aug. 1, but had not put him through release waivers. Because of a misunderstanding between Astros' GM Gerry Hunsicker and White's agent, the Astros could not sign White, who remains the property of the White Sox for now. Source: Houston "

Geez....Send me a low level prospect for him and Hunsicker can have White. I can't see us not working a deal out with the Stros.

voodoochile
08-08-2003, 12:07 PM
Originally posted by jabrch
"The Astros inappropriately reached a deal with Rick White, whom they attempted to claim off waivers from the White Sox yesterday.
The Sox designated White for assignment Aug. 1, but had not put him through release waivers. Because of a misunderstanding between Astros' GM Gerry Hunsicker and White's agent, the Astros could not sign White, who remains the property of the White Sox for now. Source: Houston "

Geez....Send me a low level prospect for him and Hunsicker can have White. I can't see us not working a deal out with the Stros.

Is that legal according to the CBA? Can you just leave a guy in limbo like that? Will the Sox be in trouble for pulling fast one?

Not sure if you want a guy or not? Designate him for assignment and don't put in the waivers paperwork...

harwar
08-08-2003, 12:13 PM
Originally posted by voodoochile
Can you just leave a guy in limbo like that? Designate him for assignment and don't put in the waivers paperwork...

Whoowee,one this is for sure that guy REALLY pissed someone off.

delben91
08-08-2003, 12:24 PM
Originally posted by voodoochile
Is that legal according to the CBA? Can you just leave a guy in limbo like that? Will the Sox be in trouble for pulling fast one?

Not sure if you want a guy or not? Designate him for assignment and don't put in the waivers paperwork...

I don't think the Sox will get in trouble for that. If I understand the process correctly, the Sox had 10 days after designating White for assignment to trade him, release him, or have him accept the assignment. The first and third didn't happen, but it hasn't yet been 10 days, so I think that's the reason he's "in limbo"

Then again, I could be completely wrong.

dougs78
08-08-2003, 12:27 PM
Originally posted by delben91
I don't think the Sox will get in trouble for that. If I understand the process correctly, the Sox had 10 days after designating White for assignment to trade him, release him, or have him accept the assignment. The first and third didn't happen, but it hasn't yet been 10 days, so I think that's the reason he's "in limbo"

I think you are exactly right

voodoochile
08-08-2003, 12:30 PM
Originally posted by delben91

Thanx for the clarification. I did not know that...

Irishsox1
08-08-2003, 01:15 PM
The delay has been with the size of the cow excrement the Astros are sending the Sox in exchange for White. White is worth 5 pounds of it and the Astros only have 3 pounds of it. Wait a couple of days and ol' bessie will drop some mudd and White can be on his way.

Lip Man 1
08-08-2003, 01:51 PM
I say screw the Astros and get White back here! Tell him "we're sorry..."

It's not like Matt Ginter's doing anything but giving up Grand Slams is he?

What's more important swallowing your pride or winning a friggin' divisional title (unless you know of some other way for the Sox to get bullpen help?)

And let's not forget we STILL don't have a 5th starter who could go another five or six times this season. I'll be interested to see what Appier does tonight in Tampa.

Lip

delben91
08-08-2003, 01:54 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1

I'll be interested to see what Appier does tonight in Tampa.

Lip

From what I've heard, Appier's elbow is a time bomb just waiting to explode.

WinningUgly!
08-08-2003, 01:58 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
I'll be interested to see what Appier does tonight in Tampa.

Lip

If he does anything close to what he has been doing so far this year...he'll get lit up for about 8 runs in 3 innings.