PDA

View Full Version : How about trading B-Daub to Cubs?

xil357
08-08-2003, 11:32 AM
Since Daubach isn't getting much PT on the Sox, and since the Cubs are looking for a lefty first baseman to platoon with Karros, would such a trade make sense for the Sox for the right price?

I hate the idea of making a deal with the devil, and I know that the waiver wire is an obstacle, but are there any right handed pitchers on the Cubs who could help the Sox either as a #5 starter or out of the pen? It also breaks up the logjam of 1B/DH types on the Sox and makes it possible to get Everett more time at DH to get better defense into CF.

Discuss...

fledgedrallycap
08-08-2003, 11:46 AM
It actually isn't a bad idea now that we have Everett and Alomar batting lefty. I really like BD coming off the bench with some lefty-power, but the bullpen does have a glaring need. If we could land a Dave Veres or Farnsworth (might be asking for too much) I would do it in a second.

SoxxoS
08-08-2003, 11:50 AM
Originally posted by xil357
Since Daubach isn't getting much PT on the Sox, and since the Cubs are looking for a lefty first baseman to platoon with Karros, would such a trade make sense for the Sox for the right price?

I hate the idea of making a deal with the devil, and I know that the waiver wire is an obstacle, but are there any right handed pitchers on the Cubs who could help the Sox either as a #5 starter or out of the pen? It also breaks up the logjam of 1B/DH types on the Sox and makes it possible to get Everett more time at DH to get better defense into CF.

Discuss...

That is actually a really good idea. He is mini-Raffy Palmiero. I would GLADLY take Farnsworth in return.

voodoochile
08-08-2003, 11:50 AM
Has Daubach cleared waivers? He isn't making that much and he is a lefty bat off the bench, so he might not make it if he hasn't already...

Hangar18
08-08-2003, 11:52 AM
Originally posted by fledgedrallycap
It actually isn't a bad idea now that we have Everett and Alomar batting lefty. I really like BD coming off the bench with some lefty-power, but the bullpen does have a glaring need. If we could land a Dave Veres or Farnsworth (might be asking for too much) I would do it in a second.

I dont know about that. Veres is a NL pitcher.....sloppy and would get LIT UP in the AL. Farnsworth....scares me big time.
Hes a fastball pitcher..thats it. He too I believe would get LITUP like a Xmas tree if he came to the American League. That is unless Cooper teaches him how to PITCH as opposed to THROWING, which is what he does over there. That being said...id rather have Farnsworth in the pen instead of Koch.
Cant believe I just wrote that ............. :angry:

fledgedrallycap
08-08-2003, 12:01 PM
Originally posted by Hangar18
I dont know about that. Veres is a NL pitcher.....sloppy and would get LIT UP in the AL. Farnsworth....scares me big time.
Hes a fastball pitcher..thats it. He too I believe would get LITUP like a Xmas tree if he came to the American League. That is unless Cooper teaches him how to PITCH as opposed to THROWING, which is what he does over there. That being said...id rather have Farnsworth in the pen instead of Koch.
Cant believe I just wrote that ............. :angry:

That may be true about their pitching style, but like you mentioned - Farnsworth and Veres would be an improvement once you get past Wunch, Marte, and Gordon - adding a little depth. Trading a bench player for a solid arm would probably be a smart move. However, as voodoo mentioned - I doubt BD cleared waivers and I am unsure if Hendry would reach into his pen to pull off a deal

gosox41
08-08-2003, 12:26 PM
Originally posted by SoxxoS
That is actually a really good idea. He is mini-Raffy Palmiero. I would GLADLY take Farnsworth in return.

Exactly what I was thinking when I read the post. I'd want Farnsworth over Veres. Veres is injury prone. I think Farnsworth has a few years before he is an FA and is right now better then Koch and Ginter.

Bob

MisterB
08-08-2003, 01:26 PM
Originally posted by Hangar18
Hes a fastball pitcher..thats it. He too I believe would get LITUP like a Xmas tree if he came to the American League.

I've seen this claim thrown around a lot. Does anyone have any empirical evidence that NL pitchers, as a rule, get lit up in the AL? (and merely bringing up Todd Ritchie doesn't count :smile: )

xil357
08-08-2003, 07:28 PM
Originally posted by MisterB
I've seen this claim thrown around a lot. Does anyone have any empirical evidence that NL pitchers, as a rule, get lit up in the AL? (and merely bringing up Todd Ritchie doesn't count :smile: )

Jamie Navarro is another striking example.

I don't have evidence but if I were a pitcher I would rather face another pitcher batting than Frank, Giambi, Edgar Martinez, Raffy, or other mashers playing DH. I think that a pitcher has to be tougher to succeed in the AL, but I don't have stats at hand to back me up. (And don't anyone bring up Mike Hampton. He's an exceptionally good hitter for a pitcher and even so, the last time I checked it wasn't as if he was so good with the lumber that he regularly has been called upon to even pinch hit on his off days.)

That being said, I still think if B-Daub could get through waivers (problematic at best, I know), the Cubs might be interested and might be willing to deal from their surplus of right-handed pitching. If the Sox could talk them into a pitcher in whom they are confident, this could be a win-win for both teams. It would take a big sales job by KW to make Hendry over-pay. Hopefully the Cubs would be desperate after twice being thwarted in their pursuit of Palmeiro and thier chronic lack of un-corked, non-roided offense.

In sum I'd rather have an experienced AL reliever than a surplus Cub, but perhaps KW could get the Cubs to over-pay.

whitesoxwilkes
08-08-2003, 07:54 PM
Originally posted by xil357
Since Daubach isn't getting much PT on the Sox, and since the Cubs are looking for a lefty first baseman to platoon with Karros,

Isn't Choi a lefty?

xil357
08-08-2003, 11:02 PM
Originally posted by whitesoxwilkes
Isn't Choi a lefty?

Phil Rogers reported in today's Trib that the Cubs wanted a lefty 1B to platoon with Karros for the run for the division.

Nellie_Fox
08-09-2003, 01:33 AM
How about everybody stop calling people by the first initial of their first name and the first syllable of their last name? It's so....last year. On another thread someone actually called Peter Ueberoth "P-Ube." Give me a break.

MHOUSE
08-09-2003, 02:27 AM
Look N-Fo we can do whatever the heck we want with names, ok? :D: LoL just messin' dood. Anyways...

I would trade B-Daub for any decent reliever in a second. K-Farn throws dang hard and his ERA is in the 2-low 3 range. He's pretty good for a young guy. I doubt that the Cubs' J-Hen would give up a bullpen arm for a platoon player. Also Daub might have trouble with clearing waivers. I know I'll get it for this, but would you do it for Alfonsucka? I'd say no, but I know he did clear waivers this week and could be traded.

WhiteSox = Life
08-09-2003, 04:31 AM
If you are going by the first name initial and the first syllable of the last name, then Brian Daubach would more than likely be spelled B-Dau and for Nellie... Fox is one syllable last I checked. So, N-Fox would follow what he so despises.

:smile:

xil357
08-09-2003, 09:30 AM
Originally posted by Nellie_Fox
How about everybody stop calling people by the first initial of their first name and the first syllable of their last name? It's so....last year. On another thread someone actually called Peter Ueberoth "P-Ube." Give me a break.

I am the one responsible for the B-Daub and the P-Ube. I was trying to take it to the extreme (the Illinois Governor was called G-Rod on another Parking Lot thread) while poking some innocent fun at the tendency for people to come up with such nicknames from the first letter of the first name and first syllable of the last name. I didn't realize the double-entendre of P-Ube until it was pointed out to me later. :)

Isn't sports supposed to be FUN? :)

Meanwhile, The Dallas Morning News reported that R-Pal claimed he did not invoke his no-trade clause to prevent a trade to the Cubs, but is leaning toward doing so. The trade still could happen if J-Hart and T-Hicks convince R-Pal to accept it (unlike J-Gonz), so B-Daub to the Cubs probably would not happen even if J-Hen or K-Will read WSI and talked about such a deal.

jabrch
08-09-2003, 10:31 AM
They won't trade Farnsworth for a bench guy. He wouldn't clear waivers anyhow. If nothing else, KC would block it (and isn't it nice now that they can block any deal we make? - the pleasures of first place!!!)

Veres or Guthrie are more realistic.

Frankly, I think we have to plan on going with what we have now... I don't see any significant additions.