PDA

View Full Version : Predictions for this weekend's A's series

gosox41
08-08-2003, 10:30 AM
This series concerns me. The A's have had our number the last couple of seasons. The Sox don't hit Mulder well. They don't hit Ted Lilly well and they don't hit pitcher's they face the first time around all that well. Chavez and Tejada are starting to heat up and the A's always seem to be a second half team.

I expect 3 low scoring games. It's going to come down to two things:

1. How well the Sox starters can shut down the A's hitters, especially Tejada and Chavez. The A's don't have the most stellar of offenses. If Sox starters pitch up to their ability, they should be able to hold the A's to about 10 runs over the 3 games.

2. The Sox ability to manufacture runs. I don't see man HR's being hit this series and that's what's carried the Sox for their recent run. Outside of Roberto Alomar, the Sox haven't done a good job taking extra bases or advancing runners.

I predict the Sox will win 1 out of 3. These should be 3 close, very exciting games but unfortunately I don't see the Sox having the ability to do the "little things" to get them over the hump.

Hopefully I'm wrong. What do you all think?????

Bob

fledgedrallycap
08-08-2003, 10:34 AM
You could be right, but I'm leaning towards the Sox taking 2 of 3. The one intangiable is the White Sox play VERY well at home and EXTREMELY well at home with large crowds - which are expected from reading other threads. In Oakland, we don't have a chance, but maybe we have payback on our minds...

CHISOXFAN13
08-08-2003, 10:36 AM
I predict we take at least 2.

The A's are a below average team on the road, so average that the vaunted Jeremy Bonderman was good enough to beat them yesterday.

Their offense is average at best.

If we win tonight, we'll win all three.

How's that for optimism!

FJA
08-08-2003, 11:56 AM
2 of 3 ... all three games concern me as well, but here's what I'm thinking.

Friday: Buehrle must pitch like Buehrle is capable of pitching. We will not beat Mulder unless we beat him 3-0, 4-2 ... etc. I do not see any situation where we score more than four runs in tonight's game, and that's being generous.

Saturday: I'm not worried about Lilly ... we lit him up earlier this year. What I'm worried about is how Garland will respond to the idiocy that was his vote of zero confidence. If Garland continues to pitch well, I think we'll win Saturday.

Sunday: I'm not worried about Loaiza against the weak A's lineup. We can't possibly know what to expect against Harden ... he's been lights out, but he's a rookie, so he has to crack sometime. Traditionally, we can't hit bad young pitchers. With our offense, if we hit a home run or two off of Harden, who knows where that will send the youngster?

2 of 3. We'll either beat Mulder or Harden, and we will beat Lilly.

voodoochile
08-08-2003, 11:56 AM
Sox Sweep...

thecell
08-08-2003, 11:57 AM
Originally posted by voodoochile
Sox Sweep...

ditto...GO SOX!

OEO Magglio
08-08-2003, 12:45 PM
I'm not as optimistic as most of you guys, all three games do worry me, I think the sox can take the lilly vs garland game but that's the only one I think the sox will win this series. Harden has been pretty untouchable in his past starts, and we all know the sox track record against pitchers they haven't seen before(even though they seem to be a totally different offense right now). Even though Buehrle has pitched pretty well lately excluding the seattle game(which he did have a lot of bad luck in), I just don't think the sox will be able to score enough against Mulder. I hope I'm wrong.

NewyorkSoxFan
08-08-2003, 01:13 PM
Originally posted by gosox41
This series concerns me. The A's have had our number the last couple of seasons. The Sox don't hit Mulder well. They don't hit Ted Lilly well and they don't hit pitcher's they face the first time around all that well. Chavez and Tejada are starting to heat up and the A's always seem to be a second half team.

I expect 3 low scoring games. It's going to come down to two things:

1. How well the Sox starters can shut down the A's hitters, especially Tejada and Chavez. The A's don't have the most stellar of offenses. If Sox starters pitch up to their ability, they should be able to hold the A's to about 10 runs over the 3 games.

2. The Sox ability to manufacture runs. I don't see man HR's being hit this series and that's what's carried the Sox for their recent run. Outside of Roberto Alomar, the Sox haven't done a good job taking extra bases or advancing runners.

I predict the Sox will win 1 out of 3. These should be 3 close, very exciting games but unfortunately I don't see the Sox having the ability to do the "little things" to get them over the hump.

Hopefully I'm wrong. What do you all think?????

Bob

Bob why am I not surprised you picked the Sox to lose the series. I feel much better now hearing that, If you had picked them I would know for a fact they would only win one game.

NYSF

gosox41
08-08-2003, 03:05 PM
Originally posted by NewyorkSoxFan
Bob why am I not surprised you picked the Sox to lose the series. I feel much better now hearing that, If you had picked them I would know for a fact they would only win one game.

NYSF

It's easy to know what I'm going to pick. I just base my predicitons on the numbers. Obviously they're not always going to be right (and in this case I hope thy aren't) but look at the Sox recent history against the A's.

And before you say this team is different, wasn't the 2001 team different then the 2002. And wasn't the 2002 team different then 2003.

I hope they go and kick the snot out of Oakland, but if I were betting money, I wouldn't bet on a sweep.

Glad my predictions make you want to do the opposite. Do you want to hear my stock market predicitons? Go try fading what I say, we'll see how far it gets you. :smile:

Bob

FJA
08-08-2003, 03:11 PM
Originally posted by gosox41
It's easy to know what I'm going to pick. I just base my predicitons on the numbers. Obviously they're not always going to be right (and in this case I hope thy aren't) but look at the Sox recent history against the A's.

And before you say this team is different, wasn't the 2001 team different then the 2002. And wasn't the 2002 team different then 2003.

I hope they go and kick the snot out of Oakland, but if I were betting money, I wouldn't bet on a sweep.

Glad my predictions make you want to do the opposite. Do you want to hear my stock market predicitons? Go try fading what I say, we'll see how far it gets you. :smile:

Bob

I agree with you, Bob ... the numbers are certainly against us. But my wild card is either a lights out Buehrle or a finally-shelled Harden. I think one of those two will happen, and we'll win two of three. Lilly is the only game that I think works in our favor.

gosox41
08-08-2003, 03:15 PM
Originally posted by FJA
I agree with you, Bob ... the numbers are certainly against us. But my wild card is either a lights out Buehrle or a finally-shelled Harden. I think one of those two will happen, and we'll win two of three. Lilly is the only game that I think works in our favor.

I hope you're right. In order for this team to convince me they're a good team (and a good team does not necessaily mean winning the AL Central) they need to play well against their possible playoff opponents. Getting blown out at Seattle last weekend is not an indicator of this team being "different". Even if we lost 2 out of 3 and played great ball and lost by a un or 2 in those 2 games, then I could see how this team is showing improvement. Oakland and Anaheim are other teams that give us fits. I don't buy into that "Some times teams have out number" excuse, especially when the next sentence is about how the team is different..

Let's hope they sweep this weekend!!!!!!

Bob

cheeses_h_rice
08-08-2003, 03:24 PM
My gut tells me Sox only take 1 of 3.

But, my head says that the Sox may have turned a corner the past few weeks, and that the "West Coast jinx" will not be able to travel the full 2000 miles from the Bay Area.

So I say Sox take 2 of 3. Tonight is a *must-win* game, though.

NewyorkSoxFan
08-08-2003, 10:30 PM
Like I said earlier Bob, I feel much better knowing your prediction.

NYSF :)

Nick@Nite
08-08-2003, 10:44 PM
The Sox playing in KC last week was a "message" series... meaning that sweeping them sent a message to KC (and the AL Central) that the farting around was over.

This series, to me, is another "message" series... the really good teams in the East & West need to look out... the Sox are through farting around.

:sweep

konerkopeachy
08-08-2003, 11:06 PM
farting around...bahaha! That's wonderful.

Harden doesn't look so tough. We can rough this kid up real nice in the first few innings...

Go Sox! :D