PDA

View Full Version : Attendance and Weather

NewyorkSoxFan
08-08-2003, 09:32 AM
I have heard it reported that the Sox have sold over 30,000 already for tonites game and for Saturdays game. It is obvious that the team is catching on, and I think the fact that they are in an actual race (unlike 2000) that its more exciting. Although we have a tougher second half schedule, ot does provide some attractive teams that people want to see. A's, Yanks, Anaheim, etc.

So what is the weather like for this weekend? We have had decent weather this season, and that will be a big key if the team can sellout a few of these dates.

NYSF

gosox41
08-08-2003, 10:00 AM
Originally posted by NewyorkSoxFan
I have heard it reported that the Sox have sold over 30,000 already for tonites game and for Saturdays game. It is obvious that the team is catching on, and I think the fact that they are in an actual race (unlike 2000) that its more exciting. Although we have a tougher second half schedule, ot does provide some attractive teams that people want to see. A's, Yanks, Anaheim, etc.

So what is the weather like for this weekend? We have had decent weather this season, and that will be a big key if the team can sellout a few of these dates.

NYSF

The Sox need to average about 30K per game to get to two million. The more they draw, the more likely it is JR will open his wallet and spend $$$$ on pay roll.

Bob

delben91
08-08-2003, 10:01 AM
Originally posted by NewyorkSoxFan

NYSF

I'm not in Chicago, but according to The Weather Channel's website: (http://www.weather.com/weather/local/USIL0225?lswe=chicago%2C+IL&lswa=WeatherLocalUndeclared&whatprefs=)

Today: AM Clouds/PM Sun, High 78 - Low 60. Winds NNE at 10-15 MPH

Saturday: Partly Cloudy, High 78 - Low 60. Winds NNE at 5-10 MPH

Sunday: Partly Cloudy, High 81 - Low 62. Winds not available yet.

I'd say it looks like 3 absolutely beautiful days to be at the ballpark, wish I were still in the area. Make it worth the trip guys, beat Oakland.

GO SOX!

NewyorkSoxFan
08-08-2003, 10:12 AM
Originally posted by delben91
I'm not in Chicago, but according to The Weather Channel's website: (http://www.weather.com/weather/local/USIL0225?lswe=chicago%2C+IL&lswa=WeatherLocalUndeclared&whatprefs=)

Today: AM Clouds/PM Sun, High 78 - Low 60. Winds NNE at 10-15 MPH

Saturday: Partly Cloudy, High 78 - Low 60. Winds NNE at 5-10 MPH

Sunday: Partly Cloudy, High 81 - Low 62. Winds not available yet.

I'd say it looks like 3 absolutely beautiful days to be at the ballpark, wish I were still in the area. Make it worth the trip guys, beat Oakland.

GO SOX!

AMEN BROTHER

That's the next step for this team. Its to perform at a high level in front of the bright lights. I think last week against KC at home, they were to sky high, and it showed, in the players and JM decision making.

NYSF

THE_HOOTER
08-08-2003, 10:18 AM
In 2000 the crowds were horrible except for a few weekend games and a few other exceptions.

I really think 2000 surpirsed everyone, and no one expected it.

This year expectations were high among casual fans, and now that they are i it, people are jumping on the bandwagon.

fledgedrallycap
08-08-2003, 10:19 AM
I have to pose a question: in hindsight, do you believe the Sox should of built a dome stadium similiar to Seatlle or Milwaukee back when Comisky was built? Everyone knows that you don't know what kind of weather to expect in April & May and the attendance suffers because of it? In addition, our players seem to thrive in the warmer months.

I personally like the outdoor stadium and can suffer through a few cold days if we are perenial winners, but that is just me.

hold2dibber
08-08-2003, 10:22 AM
Originally posted by fledgedrallycap
I have to pose a question: in hindsight, do you believe the Sox should of built a dome stadium similiar to Seatlle or Milwaukee back when Comisky was built? Everyone knows that you don't know what kind of weather to expect in April & May and the attendance suffers because of it? In addition, our players seem to thrive in the warmer months.

I personally like the outdoor stadium and can suffer through a few cold days if we are perenial winners, but that is just me.

A retractable roof would be nice, but they clearly didn't have the $ for that at the time (and I don't even know if the technology was available). In any event, what they should have done is built a 38,000 seat stadium, and with the money saved by not having to build those extra 10,000 seats, they should have made the place a palace. That way you have a beautiful park, a more limited supply of seats (thereby driving up the demand) and a place everybody wants to be.

xil357
08-08-2003, 11:04 AM
Originally posted by fledgedrallycap

For fan comfort the retractable roof is a good thing. But as a purist I believe baseball should be played outside on grass. At that time the latest thinking in indoor / outdoor stadiums was Skydome in Toronto. That is NOT the kind of stadium for Chicago. Miller Parks and Safeco Fields weren't being built in the late 80s and early 90s. I remember some of the concepts for Sox / Bears stadiums in mid-80s. Yuck!

MLB should get smarter about schedules and geography in April and early May. Early-season games should be played in the South, on the West Coast and in the dome stadiums. I would not mind if the Sox played their home opener on April 30. Make their annual West Coast trip at the beginning of the season and then they would be done with it for the rest of the year.

While it would be tough for teams who perennially would start on the road, it would bond those team early through the adversity of travel, and once the big season-starting trip was done, they would have more games at home than on the road for the rest of the year. At the same time it would help out teams such as the Rangers because while April and May are great here in Texas, July and August and even early September are absolutely miserable when the temperature is still 100 degrees for 7:05 p.m. games.

As a part of this, travel costs would be reduced as road trips could be made to be longer but less frequent and interleague play could be spread throughout the season. For example, instead of going from Kansas City to Seattle at one time, and then interleague play at Arizona and LA, and then another trip for Anaheim and Oakland, and then another trip for Texas by way of Detroit, the typical west Coast trip -- during years when the Sox played against the NL West -- would go something like: Seattle, Oakland, San Francisco, Anaheim, LA and Texas in one fell swoop. It would also benefit West Coast teams because, say, the Giants could play the Cubs and the Sox back to back and stay at one hotel in Chicago for one week. Again, longer but fewer and smarter trips. And it would mean extended homestands in June, July and August in Chicago when the weather is better. (I also say add the Thursday after the All Star game to make it a four-day break). Result: higher attendance and profits league-wide. Imagine starting with a series at the Urinal, then a 21- game homestand at the Cell against the Cardinals, the Indians, the Red Sox, the Yankees, the Royals, the Twins and then the Cubs. Wow.

In my mind the advantages and disadvantages would even out for all MLB teams and the overall effect would be better attendance league-wide and fewer rainouts and delays.

Steve Bartman
08-08-2003, 01:37 PM
We will be lucky if we get 25,000 tonight. Right now the lower deck still has plenty of open seats........

doogiec
08-08-2003, 01:46 PM
The original drawings for the proposed ballpark in Addison included a retractable roof. It was a fan shaped fabric type roof that would only keep rain off the field, so it was kind of a cheap and dirty alternative to the steel and concrete domes later built. I assume money and the change of location caused that to be dropped. They started with much larger plans and scaled them down to match the amount of money the state was willing to pay.

FJA
08-08-2003, 02:58 PM
Originally posted by Cubsloseagain911
We will be lucky if we get 25,000 tonight. Right now the lower deck still has plenty of open seats........

I think we'll be in the upper 20s or lower 30s ... Fridays usually have a decent enough after-work walk-up.

However, I think we need to get some promo for Friday ... when everyone comes out for fireworks on Saturday, half price on Monday and Tuesday and, $1 hot dogs on Thursday, there aren't crowds on Wednesday or Friday. We probably can't do anything about Wednesday since that's probably not a popular day to go out to a baseball game at any rate. But Friday ... you attract more people to the park, you're going to make a hell of a lot more in concessions, because, a) people are coming from work and they're going to have to eat, and b) you'll see a lot more in alcohol sales ... I'm not talking about the fighting idiots on Monday, either; I'm talking about a couple of co-workers who want to go out for a few rounds (of drinks, not punches) and catch a ballgame after a tough work week. They're just not attracting that crowd now, and I'm not sure what they can do, but I think something involving people in the workplace would be ideal. Do they still have those tickets for grade schoolers with perfect attendance? I'm sure they could hand out similar forms to employers to give their employees for Friday games.

This might make an interesting thread in itself ... any ideas?

doogiec
08-09-2003, 09:32 AM
The White Sox used to be very successful in getting groups from bars/restaurants down to the games, especially on Friday. Maybe some sort of deal where if an establishment promotes a Friday night game outing and commits to a specific number of tickets the White Sox throw in a free bus trip for the group.