PDA

View Full Version : Moronotti at it again.....

SoxOnTop
08-08-2003, 07:24 AM
The proof is in the pudding:

http://www.suntimes.com/output/mariotti/cst-spt-jay08.html

I can criticize the Sox becuase I am a die hard Sox fan who is fed up and wants to win. This Yahoo has no business spreading his anti-Sox propaganda just when we close to within 1/2 game of 1st. It's as if he is pissed off that the Sox have the gall to believe they can make the playoffs. I guess only the Cubbies are allowed to do that.

Ridiculous!

dickallen15
08-08-2003, 07:32 AM
A. If KW put in a claim, Nelson would have remained in Seattle, not gone to the Sox, this per Pat Gillick.

B. There's a good chance KW didn't put in a claim as a favor to the Yankees for brokering the Colon deal. There's gentelman's agreements on these things all the time. I wonder why Boston didn't put in a claim.

C. Moronatti ought to move to KC and write for the KC Star with that other moron. It would be the greatest ficticious sports section in the country.

cheeses_h_rice
08-08-2003, 07:47 AM
Originally posted by SoxOnTop
The proof is in the pudding:

http://www.suntimes.com/output/mariotti/cst-spt-jay08.html

I can criticize the Sox becuase I am a die hard Sox fan who is fed up and wants to win. This Yahoo has no business spreading his anti-Sox propaganda just when we close to within 1/2 game of 1st. It's as if he is pissed off that the Sox have the gall to believe they can make the playoffs. I guess only the Cubbies are allowed to do that.

Ridiculous!

The Sox seem to do better when the Moron is off the bandwagon, and it's not even like he's off the bandwagon entirely -- just that the Sox probably won't advance in the playoffs, which you have to admit is a legitimate position to take, given the strength of the other potential AL foes.

hold2dibber
08-08-2003, 07:48 AM
(1) I think his criticism of the bullpen and of JM is completely warranted. He's exactly right - how would you feel about this bullpen coming into a game with a 1 run lead in the 7th inning of a playoff game at Yankee Stadium? I'd be lying in the corner in the fetal position, gently sobbing. The bullpen is a mess right now, and JM is absolutely clueless when it comes to handling the pen.

(2) He's completely wrong about the Nelson deal. If the Sox had claimed Nelson (or Benitez) the Mariners (Yankees) simply would have pulled him back. The only way the Sox gets one of those guys is if they could have offered a prime time relief pitcher. Duh. The Sox don't have a prime time relief pitcher they could spare for either of those guys (I doubt either team would have taken Gordon and I wouldn't have traded Marte for either of those 2).

MarqSox
08-08-2003, 07:49 AM
Originally posted by cheeses_h_rice
The Sox seem to do better when the Moron is off the bandwagon, and it's not even like he's off the bandwagon entirely -- just that the Sox probably won't advance in the playoffs, which you have to admit is a legitimate position to take, given the strength of the other potential AL foes.

Never mind 86 years of precedent.

TornLabrum
08-08-2003, 07:56 AM
Originally posted by hold2dibber
(2) He's completely wrong about the Nelson deal. If the Sox had claimed Nelson (or Benitez) the Mariners (Yankees) simply would have pulled him back. The only way the Sox gets one of those guys is if they could have offered a prime time relief pitcher. Duh. The Sox don't have a prime time relief pitcher they could spare for either of those guys (I doubt either team would have taken Gordon and I wouldn't have traded Marte for either of those 2).

That's why we call him Moronotti. It would be nice if a guy who writes sports for a living actually understood the waiver rules.

WinningUgly!
08-08-2003, 08:09 AM
The Sox should have a Full Nelson in their half-bullpen.

LOL! The cheeziest line I've read in a while! :)

Tragg
08-08-2003, 08:16 AM
Once you sift through the sarcastic tone present in every moronotti article, it wasn't a bad piece.
A far cry from that racist drivel he wrote about the Sox last year.

Oh, and Moron, while our division is weak, the NL Central is weaker.

bobj4400
08-08-2003, 09:19 AM
Originally posted by hold2dibber
I'd be lying in the corner in the fetal position, gently sobbing.

Laughing out loud right now!!!

Brian26
08-08-2003, 09:22 AM
Wow. That's about the most concrete evidence I've ever seen that Moronotti actually READS WSI. His line about KW not blocking the waiver deal as a favor to the Yankees for helping broker the Colon trade is lifted from my post 3 days ago. Not taking too much credit here, but I was the first person to include that in the Nelson for Benitez thread.

This is what I posted:

Honestly, there would be no point for the Sox to even try to block this trade. First of all, neither team is in our divison. Second, the trade seems pretty straight-up fair. Third, claiming either guy to block the trade is ultimately a move to piss off both teams. The Sox have been buddies with the Yankees for awhile (Reinsdorf and Steinbrenner are on good terms). Don't we owe the Yankees a favor anyway for helping us get Colon this winter? Let's not forget the goodness they displayed in taking Fatsuna and Leif off our hands.

And I followed up with:

Before someone corrects me, I know that Leifer ended up going to Montreal. Just saying the Yanks were kind enough to broker this deal for us to spite the Carmines.

And then Moronotti writes:

Alas, for reasons only he knows, Williams passed. Did he look the other way because he and the Yankees cooperated on a three-way offseason deal that brought Colon to the Sox--and kept him from the Yankees' rivals, the Red Sox? In my dictionary, this would be known as collusion. I understand the importance of keeping a good relationship with a business partner, but in August, all bets are off. The Sox should have a Full Nelson in their half-bullpen.

Come On, Jay!!!! Get some original f'n material. Quit ripping us off.

Hangar18
08-08-2003, 09:47 AM
I think Moronotti is Right On with this article. For once, it was well thought out, he had an argument, brought up some good points to support it (wasnt out of the realm of possibility) and furthered it that WE NEED BULLPEN HELP. Billy Koch the way he is now is HURTING THE SOX IMMENSELY. We cant bring him in at Any Point right now, and hes taking up a bullpen spot that Mansoo Lee maybe should be taking up. SoxBill who sits by me in my season seats, said it best...."We Aint Going Nowhere with a 2 man Bullpen". Hes right. We need that shored up,
ala the Yankees. This team should always be put together to Beat the BEST team in the league....not the best team in your Division.

Hangar18
08-08-2003, 09:49 AM
HOWEVER ...... I too have had the Feeling that certain writers out there are "borrowing" discussions that were first brought up in our little thinktank here and been written up. Wouldve been nice if Mariotti mentioned wsi somehow/or sox fans in general regarding his "hunches". Nice one brian 26, think your right.

Mammoo
08-08-2003, 11:55 AM
Not much to disagree with in his piece. The Sox definitely need help in the pen. Who can deny that? If you read closely he's saying that the Sox have a chance and if Williams makes one more move, they'll have a very good chance. :smile:

kempsted
08-08-2003, 12:27 PM
It is still typical reactionary thinking. Baseball is 162 games and so a couple of games don't allow you to draw conclusions. Even a couple of days in a row. The Sox bullpen could use some strengthening - especially with Koch so bad it is a 5 man bullpen. But just because Gordon had a couple of weak outings doesn't mean he is terrible. Same with Schoenweis. Remember a short relief pitcher with an ERA of 3 gives up a run once every three games. He certainly is at least guilty of hyperbole when he says that they would not even be able to win one playoff game with this bullpen. That is unlikely especially since, Wright and Garland or Buehrle are both added to the bullpen in the playoffs.

Lip Man 1
08-08-2003, 12:46 PM
Absolutely nothing wrong with Jay's story, the fans here at WSI have questioned the exact same things...from the imbecilic moves of Manager Gandhi, to badly needing bullpen help, to why the Sox didn't attempt to get Nelson to a shaky situation in the future.

If you're going to condemm what he wrote they you better condemm 90% of what has been posted on these same boards the past week and a half.

Me thinks the only reason this thread was posted is because Jay wrote it and some fans here at WSI condemm everything he writes regardless of what it is.

Lip

TornLabrum
08-08-2003, 05:58 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
Absolutely nothing wrong with Jay's story, the fans here at WSI have questioned the exact same things...from the imbecilic moves of Manager Gandhi, to badly needing bullpen help, to why the Sox didn't attempt to get Nelson to a shaky situation in the future.

If you're going to condemm what he wrote they you better condemm 90% of what has been posted on these same boards the past week and a half.

Me thinks the only reason this thread was posted is because Jay wrote it and some fans here at WSI condemm everything he writes regardless of what it is.

Lip

The Sox would not have gotten Nelson. He simply would have been pulled off waivers if they claimed him. Moronotti was wrong.

miker
08-08-2003, 06:52 PM

Lip

Like he hasn't earned his reputation...

Lip Man 1
08-08-2003, 10:11 PM
Who knows for sure Hal...what harm would it have done. And maybe it might have prevented the Yankees from upgrading still another part of their team.

Lip

TornLabrum
08-08-2003, 10:48 PM
Who knows for sure Hal...what harm would it have done. And maybe it might have prevented the Yankees from upgrading still another part of their team.

Lip

The reason he was put on waivers was to make a deal, so I don't disagree with the premise that we could have blocked it. I have the feeling there was an unwritten quid pro quo between the Sox and the Yankees there.

If the deal was not going to be done, he would have been pulled off waivers. You don't think they're going to take the waiver price for him, do you?

The point is that Moronotti seemed to think the Sox would get him if they claimed him. And that's dead wrong.

WhiteSox = Life
08-08-2003, 10:55 PM
Originally posted by TornLabrum
The point is that Moronotti seemed to think the Sox would get him if they claimed him. And that's dead wrong.

Hmm... That seems to be a theme for Moronotti.

Nellie_Fox
08-09-2003, 12:28 AM
Originally posted by kempsted
...since, Wright and Garland or Buehrle are both added to the bullpen in the playoffs. No way is Buehrle not a starter if the Sox are in the playoffs.