PDA

View Full Version : Catch the Cubs!

soxhead1
08-25-2001, 12:08 AM
I know this is a little premature yet, but has anyone else noticed we're only 6 games behind the North-side bunglers with over a month to go? If we can't catch Cleveland or make the playoffs, the next best thing would be to end up with a better record than the Crabs. Having to endure the idiocy of their fans all year has been torture. Watching them blow another season isn't good enough. Having the smoke clear after a disappointing season with all the setbacks, and STILL end up having a better year, along with taking the season series would be sweet. Even when we have a bad summer, the only thing to look up to is at least we usually have a better year than the Wrigley knuckleheads. GO SOX!

Procol Harum
08-25-2001, 12:17 AM
I don't know if I can actually predict such a thing at this moment--but it sure would be the crowning kick in the butt for all of Grubdom--a stunning demonstration of Flubbie mediocrity. But, if they tank this series against the Cards I'm guessing it might become a probability.

chisoxfanatic
08-25-2001, 12:27 AM
Of course! They ARE the Cubs, need I say more?

Heather the Redbird

czalgosz
08-25-2001, 12:53 AM
I voted yes out of pure loyalty -- The Sox have a lot of tough series against them - against the Yankees, the Tribe, and yes, the Twins. I know the Twins have played like crap lately, but the Sox have done nothing to show that they can play with the teams ahead of them in the standings.

The Cubs have an interesting schedule the rest of the way. After this series against St. Louis, they play 12 straight games against the Braves and Marlins. The Braves are an obviously superior team, and the Marlins are a good spoiler. If they tank this series against the Cards, the Cubbies could be in for a long losing streak. Most interestingly, the Cubs still play 7 games against the Astros, including a four-game set at Wrigley to end the season. Assuming the Cubs don't totally tank over the next two weeks, the last series could be do-or-die for them.

Looking at the schedule the rest of the way for the Cubs and Sox, I would be very surprised if the Sox finished with a better record. They'd have to play winning baseball against the Yankees and Indians and Twins, which they haven't done to date. But I wouldn't be surprised to see the Sox finish only a game or two back.

KempersRS
08-25-2001, 01:05 AM
I voted yes out of pure loyalty

I voted no out of pure honesty. My theory is that the Sox will make it look like a race, then the Tribe will knock them on their butts just like what has happened in every important game this year. The Yanks and Tribe will send them back into reality. September call ups will come and the Sox will can the last couple weeks with experiments while the Cubs will try to get back into the race they won't win. But I feel those events will leave the Cubs with the better record.

Nellie_Fox
08-25-2001, 01:34 AM
Just play the odds. If you bet on the Sox to have a better record than the Cubs each year for the past 30 years, you'd be well ahead of the game. Take a shot, do it again. There are hundreds of thousands of Cub fans out there who will cover the bet for you. I just wish I could find some Cub fans up here in Twinkie land to make that bet with. The Twink fans have already told me they expect the Sox to overtake them before the year is over. They've already switched their attention the the Vikes.

soxhead1
08-25-2001, 10:54 AM
Looking at the standings this morning, I noticed I made a mistake. The Sox are only 5-1/2 behind the Cubs. I know the Sox have some tough roads to hoe against Cleveland, but if they can manage to play a few games above .500, they'll have a shot. When the Cubs choke, they do it in style. It doesn't matter who they play (witness losing 3-5 to the Brewers at home). The only thing that carried them was their pitching, and it's finally starting to come back to earth. That team might not win 10 more games the rest of the year. It's looking like a classic North side crash and burn. I could care what the Cubs do if we can make the playoffs, but if it comes down to city bragging rights, I'll always take it.