PDA

View Full Version : Sox-Cubs playoff chances

soxwon
08-07-2003, 09:14 PM
If the cubs made the playoffs and the sox didnt.
how badly would this irk you?
or would you if you had the choice see both teams make it, or none at all.
or in other words
BOTH TEAMS IN IT
or
NO TEAMS IN IT?
this will test how much you hate the cubs.

gogosoxgogo
08-07-2003, 09:16 PM
I always cheer more for my team to win rather than the other team lost. Of course I choose both teams in. Anyone who doesn't is a (queue the Dave Wills sound byte) drillrood.

MarqSox
08-07-2003, 09:17 PM
Originally posted by soxwon
or in other words
BOTH TEAMS IN IT
or
NO TEAMS IN IT?

Both, no question. My first allegiance is the Sox, and their success supercedes anything the Cubs do.

That said, I would rescind that if the Cubs ended up advancing further. That is, if the Sox got knocked out in the first round and the Cubs made the NLCS, then I'd rather neither made the playoffs.

cadman
08-07-2003, 10:19 PM
That is the only time I would want the Cubs to make the playoffs, can you imagine how insane it would get in Chitown if they actually met in the World Series. Then once we swept the Cubs the city would be owned by Sox fans and we could just smile in any debate about baseball superiority in our town.

inta
08-07-2003, 10:29 PM
yah i'd rather have both teams in it than none.
i'd like nothing more than to see a chicago-chicago world series, we've owned the cubs the last few years... they dont scare me one bit.

but that's assuming the cubs even make the playoffs, a sweep of the padres is hardly a reason to get excited. they do have alot of weak series in september, but they also play a buttload of games against STL and HOU.

MarqSox
08-07-2003, 10:38 PM
Originally posted by inta
i'd like nothing more than to see a chicago-chicago world series, we've owned the cubs the last few years... they dont scare me one bit.

That would make me really nervous ... weird stuff happens in a seven-game series, and a loss to the Cubs would literally be the end of this franchise.

mandmandm
08-07-2003, 11:01 PM
I think both teams in it would be healthy for the Chicago baseball scene. I would be pissed if the Cubs went further but think chicago baseball over the last century has been pretty bad. National attention on 2-8 teams that make the playoffs can only increase interest in the Sox, the city, and the attempt to remove the baseball loser tag off Chicago.

PaleHoseGeorge
08-07-2003, 11:05 PM
Personally, the healthiest Chicago baseball scene would be the Sox raising a world championship flag while the Cubune keeps busy threatening the City and the Wrigleyville neighborhood for what they might do if they don't get another ten night games next season for their last-place team at the Urinal.

:bandance:

gosox3072
08-07-2003, 11:13 PM
I would definately rather have both in than none in. can you imagine chicago if the sox and cubs made the series? It would be a civil war! Besides the sox are first in my concerns then the cubs. Its fine if the cubs make it as long as the sox go farther.

sox_fan_forever
08-07-2003, 11:18 PM
Originally posted by gosox3072
Its fine if the cubs make it as long as the sox go farther.

That's exactly the way I have always felt. I don't care how well the Cubs do or how good they are as long as the Sox are better.

WinningUgly!
08-08-2003, 12:17 AM
Originally posted by inta

but that's assuming the cubs even make the playoffs, a sweep of the padres is hardly a reason to get excited. they do have alot of weak series in september, but they also play a buttload of games against STL and HOU.

IMO, the Cubs will win the NL Central if they hang within a few games back over the next couple of weeks. They're heading into their toughest part of their schedule now, then finish off the season with a cakewalk. In their final 24 games of the season, the Cubs have 4 games against the Expos...the other 20 are against the Brewers, Reds, Pirates & Mets.

Thunderstruck30
08-08-2003, 12:58 AM
The last time both teams were within 5.5 games of 1st place was 1908. Both teams making it would be unbelievably great for this city. I dont think I would mind the Cubs making it as long as the Sox do as well.

WhiteSox = Life
08-08-2003, 01:25 AM
Originally posted by Thunderstruck30
The last time both teams were within 5.5 games of 1st place was 1908. Both teams making it would be unbelievably great for this city. I dont think I would mind the Cubs making it as long as the Sox do as well.

I would love an all-Chicago World Series, but if I read my Bible correctly, that was what signaled the Four Horsemen, and we all know what that lead to.

fuzzy_patters
08-08-2003, 02:37 AM
I would definitely rather have both teams in than none. We have all suffered through Cub playoff appearances before, and the memory fades with time. However, when your favorite team is in the playoffs, the memory lasts much longer because of the time you have invested following them. I will eventually forget about a Cubs playoff run, but every Sox playoff appearance will be cherished at least until the Sox win the Series.

OEO Magglio
08-08-2003, 02:49 AM
I'd definitely rather have both in then neither. But even if the sox were already clinched a playoff spot I just couldn't bring myself to cheer for the cubs to make it in I just hate them way to much, the best baseball scene in chicago would definitely be the sox in the world series, and the cubs not making the playoffs.

doublem23
08-08-2003, 03:12 AM
If anyone would honestly pick having both teams fall apart than having both teams succeed, I think you need a square kick in the balls.

Moses_Scurry
08-08-2003, 07:50 AM
The only possible way I would want both teams in the World Series is if I had a magic crystal ball that would guarentee with 100% accuracy that the Sox would win it! If the wubs ever won a World Series, I would have to move to a new town and take on a new identity, BUT if they were to beat the Sox in the WS??? That would be the new definition of Hell, and it wouldn't go away until I die!

adsit
08-08-2003, 08:55 AM
Hadn't given much thought to the idea that both Chicago teams are in the hunt and might achieve postseason play this year, because what the Scrubs do doesn't change my focus as a Sox fan one bit. They've already gone to the postseason without us, and it wasn't a buzzkill for me. I enjoyed watching the Padres, Giants and Braves have their way.

In a perfect world, I'd want the Sox to get to the World Series first, so that we could break our drought, and city bragging rights would undisputably be ours. Don't really want to share the limelight with the Scrubs after being under their shadow for the past 35 years.

As for the question "both or neither," I'd love the chance to smite the Loveable Losers again this year.

DC Sox Fan
08-08-2003, 09:54 AM
I think everyone would agree that we'd prefer both in the playoffs, because we are sox fans first, cub haters second.

A more difficult question would be:

Would you rather have both teams make the playoffs and the Cubs win it all or have neither team make it?

That's a true dilemma....

gosox41
08-08-2003, 09:55 AM
Originally posted by soxwon
or in other words
BOTH TEAMS IN IT
or
NO TEAMS IN IT?

Both. Without a doubt.

Bob

Dadawg_77
08-08-2003, 10:03 AM
Originally posted by DC Sox Fan
I think everyone would agree that we'd prefer both in the playoffs, because we are sox fans first, cub haters second.

A more difficult question would be:

Would you rather have both teams make the playoffs and the Cubs win it all or have neither team make it?

That's a true dilemma....

That isn't a dilemma at all, I would scarface a Sox playoff berth to prevent the Cubs from winning it all. I couldn't take all the flubbie fans, living in VA might be different but when living in Chicago, there is no question what you would want to see.

harwar
08-08-2003, 11:23 AM
Years ago i would have loved a WHITE SOX-cubs WORLD SERIES.But,if that happened now it would be ..all cubs..all the time..
The national media is already all over the cubs this year with live remotes from wrigley.The media frenzy both in Chicago and around the country would be at a fever pitch with the White Sox cast in the bad guy roll(those evil White Sox).
The Sox barely get mentioned now on any Chicago radio station,except in passing and it would be worse if we both make The Series.
If we played the cubs in The World Series and won,we would go down in history as one of the most evil franchizes in baseball history.The White Sox name would be stricken from every pillar in baseballdum and people everywhere would be banned from saying the White Sox name.It would be 10 times worse than the black sox scandal and White Sox fans would be as hunted as old nazis throught the world..Oh..the humanity...

thecell
08-08-2003, 11:51 AM
I hope the Cubs choke and don't make the post-season. Let the White Sox win the first post-season series in this town for the first time since 1917 and hopefully advance to the promised land. This will give the Sox all of the publicity and hopefully dispel the notion that the Cubs are the only team in this city.