Jose Jimenez (Rockies)
Mike DeJean (Brewers)
Antonio Alfonseca (Cubs)

Bats
Rafael Palmeiro (Rangers)
Tony Clark (Mets)
Adam Kennedy (Angels)
Darin Erstad (Angels)

Not much there in terms of Relief pitching - when El Popo is the best of the group, one word comes to mind: BAD.

Here is the link and a nice explanation of the waiver process:

http://espn.go.com/mlb/columns/stark_jayson/1591973.html

longshot7
08-07-2003, 03:46 PM
I think Jiminez or Hernandez might be nice if the price is right.

Hullett_Fan
08-07-2003, 03:49 PM
Originally posted by longshot7
I think Jiminez or Hernandez might be nice if the price is right.

Agreed. Especially Hernandez.

Also, why not add Palmeiro and Erstad to come in off the bench .

CHISOXFAN13
08-07-2003, 04:03 PM
I'd much rather have DeJean than Alfonseca.

hold2dibber
08-07-2003, 04:03 PM
Originally posted by fledgedrallycap
[B]Bats
Rafael Palmeiro (Rangers)
Tony Clark (Mets)
Adam Kennedy (Angels)
Darin Erstad (Angels)

I'm guessing the Angels aren't too thrilled about the $32 million extension they gave to Erstad - and I for one am awfully glad the Garland for Erstad trade never went through (although it might have prevented the Ritchie deal) - Erstad is so overrated. He had one good year!

Brian26
08-07-2003, 04:11 PM
Originally posted by hold2dibber
I'm guessing the Angels aren't too thrilled about the $32 million extension they gave to Erstad - and I for one am awfully glad the Garland for Erstad trade never went through (although it might have prevented the Ritchie deal) - Erstad is so overrated. He had one good year!

You know, if you wait long enough, almost any trade or non-trade can start to look good. Yeah, Garland's really coming together this year and has, at times, looked brilliant. Erstad seems to be on the downside of his career with the injuries and such. However, in 2002, having Erstad in our lineup everyday would have made a huge difference. Garland really didn't contribute much from the starter's role anyway. Not saying it would have won us the division, but it wouldn't have hurt.

gogosoxgogo
08-07-2003, 04:16 PM
Jimenez or DeJean could be interesting, assuming we don't give up a prospect for them. I would be very skeptical of both of them, however, as both are having horrible years. Alfonseca's name should not be brought up at all on these message boards, so I don't think I need to address that. Among the starters, I would love to get Livan Hernandez, but I doubt we could get him for a good price. I'd rather stay away from Garcia, he has looked horrible this year. I don't think we need any of those bats, so I'll stay away from them.

hold2dibber
08-07-2003, 04:37 PM
Originally posted by Brian26
You know, if you wait long enough, almost any trade or non-trade can start to look good. Yeah, Garland's really coming together this year and has, at times, looked brilliant. Erstad seems to be on the downside of his career with the injuries and such. However, in 2002, having Erstad in our lineup everyday would have made a huge difference. Garland really didn't contribute much from the starter's role anyway. Not saying it would have won us the division, but it wouldn't have hurt.

IIRC, Erstad's contract was up at the end of '02. So to keep him, the Sox would have had to pony up $32 mm over 4 years. I think I remember hearing in the press that KW had expected to have to pay that kind of money to Erstad to stick around after '02. Hard to say how much Erstad would have helped last year (I think you value him more than I do), but in either event he either would have only been here for one year, or he would have received a big fat contract that would have limited the Sox' ability to spend money on other, better players.

Brian26
08-07-2003, 04:54 PM
IIRC, Erstad's contract was up at the end of '02. So to keep him, the Sox would have had to pony up $32 mm over 4 years. .... Hard to say how much Erstad would have helped last year (I think you value him more than I do), but in either event he either would have only been here for one year, or he would have received a big fat contract that would have limited the Sox' ability to spend money on other, better players.

I valued him more for the 2002 team than I value him now. Notwithstanding that, there's no way in hell he's worth 32 mil over 4 years. So, in that sense I agree with you 100%. In hindsight, that non-trade looks very good right now.

MarqSox
08-07-2003, 05:17 PM
I know he's having a rough year, but I would not at all mind acquiring Freddy Garcia, assuming he isn't too expensive.

Randar68
08-07-2003, 05:38 PM
Originally posted by MarqSox
I know he's having a rough year, but I would not at all mind acquiring Freddy Garcia, assuming he isn't too expensive.

Amen to that, he'll get himself straightened away eventually.

hold2dibber
08-07-2003, 05:44 PM
Originally posted by MarqSox

He's making nearly $7 million this season and is, I think, arbitration eligible for at least one more year. So the very least he could make next year is about $5.5 million (or 20% of the 6.875 he's making this year). I don't think I'd be willing to roll the dice on him for that kind of money. The Sox already have a lot of guys they're going to have to re-up in the winter, and most of those guys (Buehrle, Colon, CLee) are, IMHO, more worthy of the $ than Garcia would be.

chuckn98229
08-07-2003, 05:46 PM
Word out here is that Freddie has a major problem with the bottle.

34rancher
08-07-2003, 05:52 PM
I know that a lot of you are thinking about this trade and that one, but has anyone stopped to think that we would have to have someone clear waivers? And that KC and Minn are going to claim whomever we do? I don't think that we are going to do any more trades. I just hope that Kenny doesn't try to force something that is not necessary and lose a player over it.

dickallen15
08-07-2003, 06:16 PM
Originally posted by 34rancher
I know that a lot of you are thinking about this trade and that one, but has anyone stopped to think that we would have to have someone clear waivers? And that KC and Minn are going to claim whomever we do? I don't think that we are going to do any more trades. I just hope that Kenny doesn't try to force something that is not necessary and lose a player over it.

Not necessarily. They don't want to pick up any more salary. Some of these guys have a big price tag, if they get claimed and that player isn't pulled off, they get him and his full contract. KC and Pohlad probably want no part of that.

jabrch
08-07-2003, 06:22 PM
He lost the closer job in Colorado he has been so bad. I would be interested in DeJean or Hernandez though

gogosoxgogo
08-07-2003, 08:08 PM

KC has a better record than us, so if we both claim a player, we get priority. Minnesota can't add any more payroll, so I'm not too worried about them.

baseballboy
08-07-2003, 08:10 PM
The word on Garcia is that he has been tipping his pitches for the last 2 years. What makes you think we can help him there?

MarqSox
08-07-2003, 08:10 PM
Originally posted by baseballboy
The word on Garcia is that he has been tipping his pitches for the last 2 years. What makes you think we can help him there?

Different pitching coaches have different methods. Never know what will work and what won't.

Lip Man 1
08-07-2003, 08:43 PM
Reed and Jimenez in a heartbeat. Also I'd try to make a deal for Rod Beck. Jimenez by the way, I think, has over 20 saves.

Lip

baseballboy
08-07-2003, 09:07 PM
That is the first time I have ever heard someone praise our coaches or system over another. Especially some as good as the Mariners. Not saying your wrong or right, just havent heard something that nice said on this board about our coaches and system.

34rancher
08-08-2003, 09:38 AM
Originally posted by gogosoxgogo
KC has a better record than us, so if we both claim a player, we get priority. Minnesota can't add any more payroll, so I'm not too worried about them.
I am not worried about them claiming someone from Seattle, Colorado, or anywhere else. I am worried that they would claim a player off of our roster that we would have to have clear waivers. I don't want to lose anyone with a high price tag (with maybe the execption of Koch) do you? Therefore anyone we put up I think would be gone due to our low salaries.

raul12
08-08-2003, 09:47 AM
Originally posted by jabrch
He lost the closer job in Colorado he has been so bad. I would be interested in DeJean or Hernandez though

Hearing talk of picking up DeJean is making me sick to my stomach. In NO WAY do I want him wearing a Sox uniform. He sucks so bad. How many blown saves does he have this year? 9?

re: Erstad--could it be he is still hampered by the injury he had earlier this year, and just needs some time (next year) to get back to full throttle, like Thomas?

rahulsekhar
08-08-2003, 10:15 AM
I am not worried about them claiming someone from Seattle, Colorado, or anywhere else. I am worried that they would claim a player off of our roster that we would have to have clear waivers. I don't want to lose anyone with a high price tag (with maybe the execption of Koch) do you? Therefore anyone we put up I think would be gone due to our low salaries.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but the way the waiver system works is that if we try to get someone through and they get claimed, we can pull that player back.

That's why most players in MLB get put on waivers. Hopefully KW has already done this so that before a deal is finalized both sides know who's available and who isn't.

hold2dibber
08-08-2003, 10:29 AM
Originally posted by rahulsekhar
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but the way the waiver system works is that if we try to get someone through and they get claimed, we can pull that player back.

That's why most players in MLB get put on waivers. Hopefully KW has already done this so that before a deal is finalized both sides know who's available and who isn't.

You are correct, sir (I think).

voodoochile
08-08-2003, 10:45 AM
You are correct, sir (I think).

Yes, but if you put a player on "irrevocable waivers" (I think that's the proper term) then you can't pull them back.

OEO Magglio
08-08-2003, 12:03 PM
That is the first time I have ever heard someone praise our coaches or system over another. Especially some as good as the Mariners. Not saying your wrong or right, just havent heard something that nice said on this board about our coaches and system.
Alot of people on this board have praised Don Cooper, because he is a great pitching coach, it's just some of the other sox coaches that get criticized, like our great manager.

baseballboy
08-10-2003, 04:06 PM
I beg to differ OEO. Not only Manuel, but KW, all of our coaches besides Nosek, and even our entire system has been criticized on this board. If Cooper has never been criticized on this board then fine. However, I have never heard him praised either. For that matter, I have never heard any member of the sox organization praised on this board besides some players. It was just nice to see something positive being said by someone about our coaches or organization instead of all this negative bull.

lowesox
08-10-2003, 07:21 PM
None of the players on that list do a whole lot for me. I'd like to know how we missed out on Jeff Nelson.

Hell, I'd like to know why Seattle would make a trade to strengthen New York?

hose
08-10-2003, 07:58 PM
Originally posted by lowesox
None of the players on that list do a whole lot for me. I'd like to know how we missed out on Jeff Nelson.

Hell, I'd like to know why Seattle would make a trade to strengthen New York?

The Sox or any other team never would have got Jeff Nelson off waivers from the Mariners.

Seattle and New York would have pulled both players if any team put in a claim.

I believe Boston should have claimed either one in order to block the trade. Nelson only strengtens NY's bull pen and the Red Sox are chasing them.

Lip Man 1
08-10-2003, 08:03 PM
Cooper's OK I guess but the guy who SHOULD be the Sox pitching coach is Rick Peterson. He's the A's pitching coach and was in the Sox system for a number of years before typically, the Sox let him go.

Jack McDowell said he was the best pitching coach he's ever had and seems to have straightened out Keith Foulke.

Lip

gosox41
08-10-2003, 10:40 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
Cooper's OK I guess but the guy who SHOULD be the Sox pitching coach is Rick Peterson. He's the A's pitching coach and was in the Sox system for a number of years before typically, the Sox let him go.

Jack McDowell said he was the best pitching coach he's ever had and seems to have straightened out Keith Foulke.

Lip

I didn't think Foulke needed straightening out. his numbers last year were solid.

Bob