PDA

View Full Version : A's-Sox matchup........A's 6 wins better....A true test?

Medford Bobby
08-07-2003, 01:11 PM
The A's are a 6 win team better club than the Sox in the standings. For much of the season the A's have mirrored play much like the Sox with their 3 good pitchers, but hit streaks of losing many games in a row. However this is the time of the year the A's start putting it into gear. Can we see what kind of club the Sox are playing against the A's???? :?: Meanwhile the Royal's start with Grandpa Bay Friday with Kevin Appier. This sounds like a series the Sox will not gain any ground on KC, but these are "Sweet Lou's" Rays.
I will be listening to the A's feed here in Medford, and these guys are not to scary to listen too. (Compared to Cup radio)........

:bandance: Hey it's Preseason Bear football this weekend!!!

:gulp: Also the twins turn 2 today, get me a cold one, I have survived!!

FJA
08-07-2003, 01:50 PM
Originally posted by Medford Bobby
The A's are a 6 win team better club than the Sox in the standings. For much of the season the A's have mirrored play much like the Sox with their 3 good pitchers, but hit streaks of losing many games in a row. However this is the time of the year the A's start putting it into gear. Can we see what kind of club the Sox are playing against the A's???? :?: Meanwhile the Royal's start with Grandpa Bay Friday with Kevin Appier. This sounds like a series the Sox will not gain any ground on KC, but these are "Sweet Lou's" Rays.
I will be listening to the A's feed here in Medford, and these guys are not to scary to listen too. (Compared to Cup radio)........

I think it's a true test, mostly because we should beat them. The A's are not that great on the road, we're good at home. Pitching matchups are in our favor:

Friday: Mulder vs. Buehrle. Mulder's ERA is almost THREE RUNS higher on the road than at home, ONE RUN higher at night than during the day. Buehrle's stats don't tell us much other than that, other than his last start, he's been solid since his horrible losing streak. Given that our offense has the edge, we should win Friday.

Saturday: Lilly vs. Garland. Lilly is slightly better on the road than at home, but we lit him up last time we saw him to the tune of eight hits and five runs in three innings. Garland should be interesting given the BS that occurred Monday. He'll either come out stronger or his confidence will be shot. Let's hope it's stronger. Either way, this is obviously the game that should produce the most offense, so I think we have the edge here as well.

Sunday: Harden vs. Loaiza. Harden has been absolutely lights out ever since he came up, and we all know what Loaiza is capable of. In my mind, this game is a complete toss-up. Harden HAS to get beat sometime soon ... he's a rookie, and I can't believe he's going to go through this season without a really poor outing. Why not us? The offenses he's faced so far, Anaheim, Cleveland, Detroit and KC aren't exactly top-of-the-line, so this might be the first true test. I like our chances, but like I said, if Harden is really as good as he's looked, he will be very, very hard to beat.

Prediction: Sox take 2 of 3, and will neither pick up nor lose ground on KC, who will probably take 2 of 3 against TB (though TB has been playing better, so at least we can hope :smile: )

bobj4400
08-07-2003, 01:55 PM
Originally posted by FJA

Prediction: Sox take 2 of 3, and will neither pick up nor lose ground on KC, who will probably take 2 of 3 against TB (though TB has been playing better, so at least we can hope :smile: )

KC plays 4 v. TB, so they have a chance to gain 1/2 game if they hold serve (take 3 of 4) while we take 2 of 3. With Minnesota playing the Kittens this weekend, if we dont take care of business we could lose some serious ground this weekend.

FoulTerritory
08-07-2003, 01:58 PM
It will only be a true test this weekend if manuel actually predominatly plays his starters for 3 straight days. If we get another JV lineup, there is no test. There is just fear and loathing.

Tragg
08-07-2003, 02:21 PM
Originally posted by FoulTerritory
It will only be a true test this weekend if manuel actually predominatly plays his starters for 3 straight days. If we get another JV lineup, there is no test. There is just fear and loathing.

Don't worry, we'll have a game with Harris and Rowand and Daubach starting. What I like best isn't just starting Harris - it's making sure the .190 hitter gets the most at bats by putting him in the lead-off spot.

FJA
08-07-2003, 02:35 PM
Originally posted by Tragg
Don't worry, we'll have a game with Harris and Rowand and Daubach starting. What I like best isn't just starting Harris - it's making sure the .190 hitter gets the most at bats by putting him in the lead-off spot.

Those first two games are crucial, because I can absolutely see the JV lineup out there Sunday before a West Coast trip.

Dadawg_77
08-07-2003, 02:43 PM
TB sweeps the Royals. Tampa's hitting has been on fire the last couple of weeks and Royal's pitching isn't that good to hold them off. Look for some high scoring affairs in the series.

Chisox353014
08-07-2003, 03:28 PM
Originally posted by Dadawg_77
TB sweeps the Royals. Tampa's hitting has been on fire the last couple of weeks and Royal's pitching isn't that good to hold them off. Look for some high scoring affairs in the series.

Hmmm...Your ideas are intriguing and I wish to subscribe to your newsletter.

Corkinator
08-07-2003, 03:29 PM
The Rays are playing good ball. Don't be surprised if they take 3 out of 4. I'm a big believer in Lou. If only we had him.

bobj4400
08-07-2003, 03:36 PM
Originally posted by FJA
Those first two games are crucial, because I can absolutely see the JV lineup out there Sunday before a West Coast trip.

I can see it now:

Sox lose tomorrow night to Mulder then beat Lilly on Saturday, bringing up a crucial rubber game on Sunday with Loaiza on the mound. Tinkerbell goes to homeplate with this lineup card:

Harris 2b
Lee LF
Daubach 1b
Ordonez RF
Konerko DH
Valentin SS
Rowand CF
Graffanino 3b
Alomar, Jr. C

Afterall, it is a day game after a night game AND the guys havent had an off day since Thursday and have to fly all the way to the west coast (where they gain two hours) after the game.

:angry: :angry: :angry:

gosox41
08-07-2003, 05:54 PM
Originally posted by Medford Bobby

The A's series concerns me. FIrst, the Sox haven't played the A's well recently so maybe they're one of those teams the Sox struggle against. Second, Sox hitters tend to disappear against good pitching.

Bob

gosox41
08-07-2003, 05:56 PM
Originally posted by bobj4400
I can see it now:

Sox lose tomorrow night to Mulder then beat Lilly on Saturday, bringing up a crucial rubber game on Sunday with Loaiza on the mound. Tinkerbell goes to homeplate with this lineup card:

Harris 2b
Lee LF
Daubach 1b
Ordonez RF
Konerko DH
Valentin SS
Rowand CF
Graffanino 3b
Alomar, Jr. C

Afterall, it is a day game after a night game AND the guys havent had an off day since Thursday and have to fly all the way to the west coast (where they gain two hours) after the game.

:angry: :angry: :angry:

Makes it kind of hard to enjoy watching Roberto Alomar, Everett, and Thomas doesn't it???

I wonder who to blame for such idiotic line ups?????

Bob

RKMeibalane
08-07-2003, 06:05 PM
The Sox have had trouble with Oakland in the past. However, this is a different Sox team than the one that faced Oakland back in April and May. For starters, Frank Thomas is back in the number three spot. You may recall that Jerry "The Tinkerer" Manuel tried using him in the two slot during the last Oakland series.

Other things have also changed. Alomar and Everett weren't with the team during either of the other series. It will be interesting to see if either can do any damage against the A's.

brewcrew/chisox
08-07-2003, 06:30 PM
Originally posted by FJA

I think it's a true test, mostly because we should beat them. The A's are not that great on the road, we're good at home. Pitching matchups are in our favor:

Friday: Mulder vs. Buehrle. Mulder's ERA is almost THREE RUNS higher on the road than at home, ONE RUN higher at night than during the day. Buehrle's stats don't tell us much other than that, other than his last start, he's been solid since his horrible losing streak. Given that our offense has the edge, we should win Friday.

Saturday: Lilly vs. Garland. Lilly is slightly better on the road than at home, but we lit him up last time we saw him to the tune of eight hits and five runs in three innings. Garland should be interesting given the BS that occurred Monday. He'll either come out stronger or his confidence will be shot. Let's hope it's stronger. Either way, this is obviously the game that should produce the most offense, so I think we have the edge here as well.

Sunday: Harden vs. Loaiza. Harden has been absolutely lights out ever since he came up, and we all know what Loaiza is capable of. In my mind, this game is a complete toss-up. Harden HAS to get beat sometime soon ... he's a rookie, and I can't believe he's going to go through this season without a really poor outing. Why not us? The offenses he's faced so far, Anaheim, Cleveland, Detroit and KC aren't exactly top-of-the-line, so this might be the first true test. I like our chances, but like I said, if Harden is really as good as he's looked, he will be very, very hard to beat.

Is it me or does Mulder always seem to pitch well when he comes back home(Chicago that is). It seems as if the last two times I've seen him, the sox haven't been able to hit him at all.

I agree with you about Lilly. I think we have an advantage here, and I think Garland will have something to prove here as well.

The Harden thing here scares me because the Sox have been notorious for not being able to hit guys fresh in the MLB. I don't know if it is because they aren't prepared or what, but guys fresh out of AAA seem to look unbeatable against our team.

One side note about Loaiza. Did anyone notice that Loaiza seemed to settle down in his last start when Olivo left the game with the shoulder injury? I mean he was getting hit really really hard for the first few innings and then Olivo left and it looked like the old Loaiza. I know Olivo usually catches for the guy but it just seemed to me that Loaiza seemed more comfortable with Sandy behind the plate.

FJA
08-07-2003, 06:49 PM
Originally posted by brewcrew/chisox
One side note about Loaiza. Did anyone notice that Loaiza seemed to settle down in his last start when Olivo left the game with the shoulder injury? I mean he was getting hit really really hard for the first few innings and then Olivo left and it looked like the old Loaiza. I know Olivo usually catches for the guy but it just seemed to me that Loaiza seemed more comfortable with Sandy behind the plate.

I did notice that, and I forgot to bring it up. IMO, Sandy generally calls a better game, but when someone gets on base, watch out because he doesn't have half the arm of Olivo. I guess it evens out because, most of the time, Olivo doesn't have half the bat of Sandy.

If Olivo had to go and get hurt, and assuming it's really day-to-day and not a more serious injury in disguise, he picked the right time. The Oakland organization, as MONEYBALL readers know, does not run.

As far as Mulder goes, you're right. He killed us the last time he was in town, and this season our OBP vs. him is .218. That is horrible ... we've only scored one run in two complete games.

Why did I have to look at those stats? :(:

We better step it up against Mulder because Harden will be no easy task for this team.

harwar
08-07-2003, 07:24 PM
Originally posted by Corkinator
If only we had him.

We would be 20 games over .500

Also, frankly the A's scare the **** outta me.I think we will be lucky to get thru this with one loss.