PDA

View Full Version : Question

brewcrew/chisox
08-07-2003, 11:34 AM
Ok, let me explain the rule as I know it. If a pitcher clearly goes to his mouth while on the mound, the batter receives an automatic ball.

My question is why wouldn't a pitcher do this 4 times when he wants to intentionally walk someone instead of risking throwing it over the catcher's head while men are on base. (ala the Toronto game when Frank was on third base).

Does the pitcher get a warning and risk getting thrown out of the game? If there are men on base do they get to advance too, like in a balk?

There is probably a simple answer to this question that I'm not seeing.

Randar68
08-07-2003, 11:35 AM
Originally posted by brewcrew/chisox
Ok, let me explain the rule as I know it. If a pitcher clearly goes to his mouth while on the mound, the batter receives an automatic ball.

My question is why wouldn't a pitcher do this 4 times when he wants to intentionally walk someone instead of risking throwing it over the catcher's head while men are on base. (ala the Toronto game when Frank was on third base).

Does the pitcher get a warning and risk getting thrown out of the game? If there are men on base do they get to advance too, like in a balk?

There is probably a simple answer to this question that I'm not seeing.

IIRC, with men on base, it also is a balk, but I could be wrong.

Hokiesox
08-07-2003, 11:51 AM
As an umpire, I can tell you this:

Nobody knows for sure what is a balk and what isn't! There are 8 ways to balk in AL rules and 4.2 million ways in high school rules.

No, but seriously...

First time he does it, he gets a warning and a ball is charged to the batter regardless of base runners. second time, if runners are on base, it's a balk. Remember a balk cannot be called if a runner is not on base. If a runner isn't on base, it's an illegal pitch giving a ball to the batter. Eventually, the umpire will toss the pitcher for not listening to him. If its done intentionally after a warning, it usually gets the ol' heave-ho.

brewcrew/chisox
08-07-2003, 03:52 PM
Thanks. I've always wondered about this,