PDA

View Full Version : Mark Mulder......Just Missed out

Hangar18
08-07-2003, 10:45 AM
Talking to my cousin last nite....he mentioned that he was speaking to a gentleman last nite, turns out hes a highschool
baseball coach in the chicago suburbs (have to get his name, former sox pitcher also, though for 1 month supposedly) and
he had a pitcher who he wanted the SOX to take a look at
and scout. He claims to have called the SOX a few times to check him out, but noone ever returned his calls nor came out to see him. The hs pitcher was Mark Mulder. I know its all water under the bridge....but has anyone heard about this?

ozzman
08-07-2003, 10:57 AM
mulder is a big sox fan. he said he has only been to 1 cubs game in his life. him and his friends went to wrigley when there were rumors that the scrubs were going to draft him out of hs. its great to hear a young pitcher have a passion for the south side. supposedly, he talks about pitching for the sox like buehrle talks about pitching for the cardinals. lord knows i would love to have him on our team

Gumshoe
08-07-2003, 11:17 AM
I played on the major rival of the high school that Mulder went to (he was at Thornwood). I was 2 years after Mulder, about, but I followed him as well. That high school had a few guys that went on to play SEC ball (at Mississippi, good ballplayers) and Mulder of course went on to Michigan St.

I remember he was damn good. Plus, as a lefty, there's always great potential. However, by the time he finished at MSU, it's not like the Sox could have gotten him, and they wouldn't have signed him as a high schooler, or he may not have turned out. I believe he was the 2nd overall pick about 4 years ago, no? Still, he might come back our way. If we picked him up and Buehrle left, that'd be fine. Better that we nab both of them ... that would be SWEET

Gumshoe

ps- Cliff Floyd went to Thornwood, too -- what a great athlete he was, wow

SoxxoS
08-07-2003, 11:33 AM
St Louis can have Buehrle if we can have Mulder. :smile:

FJA
08-07-2003, 11:42 AM
Originally posted by SoxxoS
St Louis can have Buehrle if we can have Mulder. :smile:

No kidding. Let's have Billy Beane start working on a 3-way "F'n A" trade. :)

Buehrle obviously has a tremendous upside too, but to have a slightly better pitcher with real Sox passion would be great.

34 Inch Stick
08-07-2003, 12:01 PM
That is definitely something to think about this off season. The Cardinals are desperate for starting pitching and would get Buhrle. The Sox need a replacement for Buhrle and would get Mulder. The A's need low priced hitting and a new shortstop. Maybe the Cards give up Renteria and an outfield prospect. Or Maybe we get Renteria as well and give up Borchard and Rauch.

Now that is some good hot stove talk!

FJA
08-07-2003, 12:05 PM
Originally posted by 34 Inch Stick
That is definitely something to think about this off season. The Cardinals are desperate for starting pitching and would get Buhrle. The Sox need a replacement for Buhrle and would get Mulder. The A's need low priced hitting and a new shortstop. Maybe the Cards give up Renteria and an outfield prospect. Or Maybe we get Renteria as well and give up Borchard and Rauch.

Haven't the A's been trying for a few years now to get J.D. Drew? I know they tried hard before the trade deadline, but I seem to remember them trying to get him before too.

Also, the Cards are going to be looking to unload Vina since Bo Hart is apparently a keeper ... they might do it before the end of the season via waivers to get a pitcher or two, but if not, Vina would be a GREAT pickup for us in this trade if we don't resign Robbie.

DrCrawdad
08-07-2003, 12:07 PM
Originally posted by ozzman
mulder is a big sox fan. he said he has only been to 1 cubs game in his life. him and his friends went to wrigley when there were rumors that the scrubs were going to draft him out of hs. its great to hear a young pitcher have a passion for the south side. supposedly, he talks about pitching for the sox like buehrle talks about pitching for the cardinals. lord knows i would love to have him on our team

A Cubbie fan friend of mine has told me that Mulder grew up a Cubbie fan.

Mulder went to Thornwood, as did Cliff Floyd. From what I understand Steve Trout grew up in South Holland. Trout may have attended Thornwood too.

DrCrawdad is an alum of Thornton, Thornwood's rival. Thornton boasts alum's Tim Reid, Tom Dressen and Lou Boudreau. Yippee!

ozzman
08-07-2003, 12:49 PM
It was in the tribune around the all star game that said that Mulder was definitely NOT a cubs fan and he talked about finally getting to pitch in the stadium he went to see many games at

Hangar18
08-07-2003, 12:53 PM
Originally posted by DrCrawdad

anyway to confirm this? I seem to remember hearing about Mulder going to games at Comiskey as a kid. Maybe we got it wrong too, though the person commenting on getting the SOX to look at Mulder made it seem that Mulder was a kid sox fan growing up. I once talked to a cub fan and he swore up and down, called me a Liar, saying No way were George Wendt and Bernie Mac SOX FANS, but instead Cub Fans. I asked him where he heard it, it was a lie, but he couldnt prove his comment.

ozzman
08-07-2003, 12:53 PM
link (http://pqasb.pqarchiver.com/chicagotribune/index.html?ts=1060278974)
there is the link to the archived article, its not the full thing because i am not paying for it, but it has the gist of the article

oops, the link didnt work. but if you do a search for mulder sox in the archives, its on page 2 titled mulder comes home, this is the text

Mark Mulder] will be trying to keep baseballs from flying into the left- field bleachers, where he and his friends sat for White Sox games. He went to his first game at the old Comiskey Park and guesses he has been to 40 to 60 games at its 13-year-old replacement. He has been to exactly one game at Wrigley. That was in 1998, when he ...

jortafan
08-07-2003, 01:23 PM
Mulder went to Thornwood, as did Cliff Floyd. From what I understand Steve Trout grew up in South Holland. Trout may have attended Thornwood too.

Trout did go to Thornwood. Class of '76, I believe. He got drafted out of high school, largely because his dad was a long-time Bill Veeck buddy. But Trout the younger did make it through the minor leagues and was pitching at Comiskey Park within two years of high school graduation.

Rocky Soprano
08-07-2003, 01:40 PM

DrCrawdad is an alum of Thornton, Thornwood's rival. Thornton boasts alum's Tim Reid, Tom Dressen and Lou Boudreau. Yippee!

What a small world, I am also an alum of Thornton, class of 99.

I went to High School with Melvin Ely (Center for Clippers), Antwaan Randle El (WR for Steelers), and Napoleon Harris (Linebacker for Raiders).

Go Wildcats! :)

Gumshoe
08-07-2003, 01:42 PM

HF is and has always been Thornwood's rival (baseball), Dr. In recent years actually HF has owned T'wood (since 1996, for sure). Trout did go to T'wood too.

Mulder definitely grew up a Sox guy

gumshoe

Hangar18
08-07-2003, 01:43 PM
Originally posted by ozzman
link (http://pqasb.pqarchiver.com/chicagotribune/index.html?ts=1060278974)
there is the link to the archived article, its not the full thing because i am not paying for it, but it has the gist of the article

oops, the link didnt work. but if you do a search for mulder sox in the archives, its on page 2 titled mulder comes home, this is the text

Mark Mulder] will be trying to keep baseballs from flying into the left- field bleachers, where he and his friends sat for White Sox games. He went to his first game at the old Comiskey Park and guesses he has been to 40 to 60 games at its 13-year-old replacement. He has been to exactly one game at Wrigley. That was in 1998, when he ...

A cub fan will say that we PLANTED This article there...and its all a LIE.

progers0826
08-07-2003, 02:07 PM
A couple of things about Mulder, for what it's worth. He did grow watching the Sox and not the Cubs. He first told me this when I interviewed him at Michigan State, prior to the draft his junior season, and I interviewed him on the subject the day before the All-Star Game. Regarding the Sox's early interest in him, they were very well informed about his potential from Nathan Durst, their local scout who does an outstanding job. Durst says teams were split on Mulder at the time between being a hitter or a pitcher. Maybe the Sox could have talked him into signing had they drafted him out of Thornwood -- as Oakland did Todd Van Poppel, when he was strongly commited toward the University of Texas -- but in fairness he was not an elite prospect at that time. It was during his sophomore and junior seasons in college that he emerged. By the way, he is just about my favorite major league pitcher to watch work. Really good guy, too.

Gumshoe
08-07-2003, 02:18 PM
Phil, is that you? Or an impostor?

Thanks for the information. His starts against the Yanks in the playoffs were always impressive.

On another note, did you ever state your opinion on the Foulke deal? We've had heated discussion on this board about that.

I personally think KW pulled some chicken **** stuff and they wanted Foulke out of the organization. It's really ironic all that has happened since the Sox need him now more than EVER.

It really bites me too; I loved the guy.

Gumshoe

tacosalbarojas
08-07-2003, 02:18 PM
He sounded like a really good guy when I heard him with McNeil last month on AM 1000. Sounded very down-to-earth. And of course, we would expect nothing less from a man who spent some of his youth at the old homeland on the other side of 35th Street at Veeck Drive?

Clembasbal
08-07-2003, 02:30 PM
Originally posted by Hangar18
A cub fan will say that we PLANTED This article there...and its all a LIE.

But at the same time, a true scrub fan wouldn't even know who Mulder is

SoxxoS
08-07-2003, 02:39 PM
Originally posted by Clembasbal
But at the same time, a true scrub fan wouldn't even know who Mulder is

Cub fan talking to his buddy at the Unrinal-
"Mark who?"
"Mul..."
"Can we get 4 Lites here!!?"
"Mulder"
"Whatever, look at that chick 3 rows down, lets ask her to come to John Barleycorn with us."

baseballboy
08-07-2003, 10:24 PM
Hey gumshoe, I think I may know you. You said you went to Homewood-Flossmoor? played varsity ball 97-98? I used to know some guys from that team during that time. Remember Jeff Huizinga or Dan Brackin?

DrCrawdad
08-07-2003, 10:30 PM
Originally posted by progers0826
A couple of things about Mulder, for what it's worth. He did grow watching the Sox and not the Cubs. He first told me this when I interviewed him at Michigan State, prior to the draft his junior season, and I interviewed him on the subject the day before the All-Star Game. Regarding the Sox's early interest in him, they were very well informed about his potential...By the way, he is just about my favorite major league pitcher to watch work. Really good guy, too.

Thanks for the background Phil. I'll enjoy watching the game, albeit on TV. Not that I'll root for Mulder, but I have a place in my heart for fellow Southsiders.

DrCrawdad
08-07-2003, 10:38 PM
Originally posted by Rocky Soprano
What a small world, I am also an alum of Thornton, class of 99.

I went to High School with Melvin Ely (Center for Clippers), Antwaan Randle El (WR for Steelers), and Napoleon Harris (Linebacker for Raiders).

Go Wildcats! :)

http://www.district205.net/thornton/admin/images/ttlogo.jpg

Hello fellow Thorntonite!

I graduated from TTHS a few years before you...1982! Thornton was quite an experience for me at the time, but I'm glad to have attended.

TTHS, TTHS FIGHT ON FOR OUR FAME...

http://www.district205.net/thornton/admin/images/ttwildcat.jpg

Gumshoe
08-08-2003, 12:45 PM
They were a little after my time, baseballboy, but I do know them ... how would you know me?

G

jabrch
08-08-2003, 01:04 PM
Originally posted by 34 Inch Stick

Buehrle, Borchard and Rauch for Mulder and Rentiria? Where do I sign up for that?

baseballboy
08-08-2003, 01:12 PM
Just thought I would if you played on the same team. I would have at least knew of you.

Rocky Soprano
08-08-2003, 01:53 PM
http://www.district205.net/thornton/admin/images/ttlogo.jpg

Hello fellow Thorntonite!

I graduated from TTHS a few years before you...1982! Thornton was quite an experience for me at the time, but I'm glad to have attended.

TTHS, TTHS FIGHT ON FOR OUR FAME...

http://www.district205.net/thornton/admin/images/ttwildcat.jpg

Its great to meet a fellow Thorntonite, and a Sox fan at that! :D:

We should hook up at a game some time, I would love to talk about Thornton with you.

Did you go to the 100 year celebration in 99?

Gumshoe
08-08-2003, 02:23 PM
Originally posted by baseballboy
Just thought I would if you played on the same team. I would have at least knew of you.

how? Did you play against those guys? What high school did you go to? And why those guys in particular?

I hold a few funny records at HF, actually ... some good ones and some silly ones

Gumshoe

baseballboy
08-08-2003, 06:40 PM
I played for OPRF (Oak Park River Forest) I was SS and CF. Yes I played against those guys. I don't know what you mean by why those guys.