PDA

View Full Version : Harold Baines: From RF to DH?

Thomas4theHall
08-07-2003, 11:20 AM
I'm doing some research on Harold Baines' career and I thought that WSI would be a great resource for finding an explanation on why Jim Fregosi moved Baines from right field to DH for the 1987 season.

I've looked at their defensive ratings in Strat-O-Matic (to get estimates of arm strength), I've looked at their "defensive letter grades" (from Win Shares) and I've looked at their FLD% and RF compared to league average. What I've come to decide is that the OFers who pushed Baines into the DH slot (and kept him there) - Calderon, Kenny Williams, Dave Gallagher, Dan Pasqua, Gary Redus and Daryl Boston - weren't that much better than Baines in the field, if at all.

I'm open to the fact that existing defensive statistics sometimes provide an incomplete picture of a player's performance/skills, but if Baines the best hitter on my team and in the prime of his career, had no history of injury since reaching the majors 7 years earlier, and wasn't any worse than the other guys I could put in the field, why the heck would Fregosi move him to DH? Why not insert Calderon there?

Anyone know? I'd be very appreciative for any explanations.

Thanks, in advance.

SaltyPretzel
08-07-2003, 11:21 AM
Bad knees.

Brian26
08-07-2003, 11:34 AM
Kudos to you for researching strat-o-matic data, though. Have you ever checked our the old versions of Pursue the Pennant? Great games.

mike squires
08-07-2003, 11:37 AM
Right on, it was his knees. He was a very good defensive outfielder. I'll never forget him at 40 years old getting that looping double in the 2000 playoffs, then barely legging it to third on a sac fly and then getting in on a close play at the plate on another sac fly with those bad legs and all. Amazing.

SaltyPretzel
08-07-2003, 11:45 AM
One of the best catches I ever saw in person was Harold's catch in the right field corner of Yankee Stadium in the late innings of Tom Seaver's 300th win.

ozzman
08-07-2003, 11:45 AM
he had shark cartilage put into his knees to help them

JJAustin69
08-07-2003, 12:15 PM
Harold had an absolute CANNON for an arm too when he first came up. I can remember him throwing people out from the edge of the warning track. Really something to see, especially after watching Claudell Washington dog it out there for years.

voodoochile
08-07-2003, 01:13 PM
Originally posted by Thomas4theHall
I'm doing some research on Harold Baines' career and I thought that WSI would be a great resource for finding an explanation on why Jim Fregosi moved Baines from right field to DH for the 1987 season.

I've looked at their defensive ratings in Strat-O-Matic (to get estimates of arm strength), I've looked at their "defensive letter grades" (from Win Shares) and I've looked at their FLD% and RF compared to league average. What I've come to decide is that the OFers who pushed Baines into the DH slot (and kept him there) - Calderon, Kenny Williams, Dave Gallagher, Dan Pasqua, Gary Redus and Daryl Boston - weren't that much better than Baines in the field, if at all.

I'm open to the fact that existing defensive statistics sometimes provide an incomplete picture of a player's performance/skills, but if Baines the best hitter on my team and in the prime of his career, had no history of injury since reaching the majors 7 years earlier, and wasn't any worse than the other guys I could put in the field, why the heck would Fregosi move him to DH? Why not insert Calderon there?

Anyone know? I'd be very appreciative for any explanations.

Thanks, in advance.

Welcome Aboard! :D:

Like your screen name...