PDA

View Full Version : Rosenthal's Playoff Predictions

dougs78
08-07-2003, 09:43 AM
Ken Rosenthal of the Sporting News has predicted the playoff teams.

Click here (http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=adatewiththeearlylineono&prov=tsn&type=lgns) to see it.

Glad to see he thinks the Sox will win the division, but some of his other picks were a little surprising....

MetalliSox
08-07-2003, 09:50 AM
As much as I hate to say it, I don't se how the Cubs can NOT win that division. Cardinals pitching is a mess. They have to score 8-10 runs a game to win. I see them play every night on cable and the bullpen is assure to give up 3 runs.

Houston not making a move at the deadline was a joke. Is there line up really as intimidating as it should be? They have Dotel and Wagner which is better then what the Cards an Cubs both have in the pen.

The division may fall into the Cubs laps.

Shoeless Joe
08-07-2003, 09:51 AM
I think I agree with Mr. Rosenthal with the exception of a few picks. I think the A.L. East will be won by the Yankees just because of Boston's yearly September swoon. I also don't think the A's will win the West but I think they will get the wildcard.

I was relieved to see the Rosenthal pick the Sox but this guy isn't Nostradamus so I guess will see what comes up this season.

bobj4400
08-07-2003, 09:53 AM
Originally posted by KonerkosHip
As much as I hate to say it, I don't se how the Cubs can NOT win that division. Cardinals pitching is a mess. They have to score 8-10 runs a game to win. I see them play every night on cable and the bullpen is assure to give up 3 runs.

Houston not making a move at the deadline was a joke. Is there line up really as intimidating as it should be? They have Dotel and Wagner which is better then what the Cards an Cubs both have in the pen.

The division may fall into the Cubs laps.

They are the Flubs, that is how they can NOT win the division.

longshot7
08-07-2003, 03:35 PM
yeah, this guy is on crack - the yankees are NOT going to lose the AL East. And the Cubs? Please.

I just hope his Sox prediction is right.

Hullett_Fan
08-07-2003, 03:58 PM
My picks (as if anyone cares :D: )

AL CENTRAL = SOX!!! :gulp:
AL EAST = Yankees
AL WEST = A's
AL Wildcard = Mariners

NL CENTRAL = Cubs
NL EAST = Braves
NL WEST = Giants
NL Wildcard = D'Backs

gogosoxgogo
08-07-2003, 04:09 PM
Mark these down:

NL EAST - Atlanta Braves
NL CENTRAL - Houston Astros
NL WEST - San Francisco Giants
NL WILD CARD - Philidelpia Phillies

PLAYOFFS - Braves def. Astros
PLAYOFFS - Giants def. Phillies
NLCS - Giants def. Braves

AL EAST - New York Yankees
AL CENTRAL - Chicago White Sox
AL WEST - Oakland A's
AL WILD CARD - Boston Red Sox

PLAYOFFS - Yankees def. White Sox
PLAYOFFS - Red Sox def. A's
ALCS - Yankees def. Red Sox

WORLD SERIES - Giants def. Yankees

gosox3072
08-07-2003, 05:56 PM
Scince were on the matter of picks heres mine

NLE Braves
NLC Astros
NLW Giants
NLWC Marlins

ALE Yankmees
ALC Who else??
ALW A's
ALWC Red Sox

NL Playoffs

Braves over Astros
Giants over Marlins

Giants over Astros

AL Playoffs

White Sox over Yankees
Red Sox over A's

White Sox over Red Sox

World Series

Giants over White Sox

:gulp: at least we went all the way!

B. Diddy
08-07-2003, 11:03 PM
Originally posted by dougs78
Ken Rosenthal of the Sporting News has predicted the playoff teams.

Click here (http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=adatewiththeearlylineono&prov=tsn&type=lgns) to see it.

Saw something even more interesting when I clicked the link: An advertisement at the top of the page for Saturday fireworks at The Cell. Thought that was kind of interesting, as Yahoo is national (international, actually). Is there some way that they are determining my location from my IP and that is determining which ads load?

gogosoxgogo
08-07-2003, 11:32 PM
Originally posted by B. Diddy
Saw something even more interesting when I clicked the link: An advertisement at the top of the page for Saturday fireworks at The Cell. Thought that was kind of interesting, as Yahoo is national (international, actually). Is there some way that they are determining my location from my IP and that is determining which ads load?

Exactly. From your IP, they can track your location, and then can fit the appropriate ads to that demographic.

Thunderstruck30
08-07-2003, 11:52 PM
Gosox3072, you made a mistake. You have the Braves beating the Astros, then the Giants beating the Astros.

My picks:
NL East: Braves
NL Central: Astros
NL West: Giants
NL Wild Card: Marlins

Braves over Marlins
Giants over Astros

Giants over Braves

AL East: Yankees
AL Central: Sox(but I am biased)
AL West: Athletics
AL Wild Card: Red Sox

Yankees over Red Sox
Athletics over White Sox

Yankees over Athletics

World Series: Giants over Yankees

WindyCityHusker
08-08-2003, 12:14 AM
Errrr...if I'm not mistaken, I thought that if the Wild card team is from the same division as the #1 team in the league, they can't play each other in the first round. I thought this was the reason that the Sox instead of Oakland played Seattle in 2000.... so The Yankees wouldn't be playing the Red Sox in the first round.

Thunderstruck30
08-08-2003, 12:24 AM
Originally posted by WindyCityHusker
Errrr...if I'm not mistaken, I thought that if the Wild card team is from the same division as the #1 team in the league, they can't play each other in the first round. I thought this was the reason that the Sox instead of Oakland played Seattle in 2000.... so The Yankees wouldn't be playing the Red Sox in the first round.

Thats right I forgot about that. Therefore, Yankees over White Sox and Athletics over Red Sox in the AL. Braves over Astros and Giants over Marlins in the NL.

moochpuppy
08-08-2003, 08:55 AM
NL East: Atlanta
NL Central: Houston
NL West: San Francisco
NL Wildcard: Philadelphia

San Francisco over Philadelphia
Atlanta over Houston

San Francisco over Atlanta

AL East: Boston
AL Central: Chicago
AL West: Seattle
AL Wildcard: Oakland

Boston over Oakland
Chicago over Seattle

Boston over Chicago

San Francisco over Boston

Dadawg_77
08-08-2003, 09:01 AM
NL East: Atlanta
NL Central: Chicago
NL West: San Francisco
NL Wildcard: Zona

Cubs over San Francisco
Zona over Atlanta

Cubs over Zona

AL East: Boston
AL Central: Chicago
AL West: Seattle
AL Wildcard: Oakland

Boston over Oakland
Chicago over Seattle

Chicago over Boston in 7

White Sox over the Cubs in 7 on Mag HR off of Six figures.