PDA

View Full Version : Where did the Retired Numbers Go?

fledgedrallycap
08-07-2003, 09:23 AM
I was at the Cell on Tuesday and actually went a couple weeks ago, too; but recently noticed that the plaques for retired numbers which were displayed below the Club Level are now gone. Has anyone else noticed that and for how long have they been missing. I wonder if they are just getting repainted or if they will be doing something more elaborate?

Hangar18
08-07-2003, 09:58 AM
They were put in Storage, replaced by those little Pinwheels
all over the facade of that stupid/useless Middle Deck (which, along with the unneeded third level of skyboxes, pushes the upper deck way too high into the stratosphere) for the AllStar game. Per steff, theyre coming back next year. I kind of like the Pinwheels all over the facade. Its better than looking at
Painted PreFab Concrete. By the way, you know those little pinwheels will be available at SoxFest next year....

SaltyPretzel
08-07-2003, 10:22 AM
You ever notice that those pinwheels on the club level are "spinning" in the wrong direction?

Hangar18
08-07-2003, 10:25 AM
Originally posted by SaltyPretzel
You ever notice that those pinwheels on the club level are "spinning" in the wrong direction?

****YES**** I did notice that, but I didnt want to get too NitPicky. Those pinwheels are INDEED spinning the wrong way ....

MarqSox
08-07-2003, 10:26 AM

They're also missing the yellow pinwheel!

But it was dumb, IMO, to take down the retired numbers for the All Star Game. I know our history is mildly pathetic, but we gotta be proud of what we got. They should have been up.

fledgedrallycap
08-07-2003, 10:45 AM
Completly agree. At the very least they could of erected a few flags in the outfield (lord knows we need a few more...) for a short-term solution.

Procol Harum
08-07-2003, 10:46 AM
Originally posted by MarqSox
They're also missing the yellow pinwheel!

But it was dumb, IMO, to take down the retired numbers for the All Star Game. I know our history is mildly pathetic, but we gotta be proud of what we got. They should have been up.

Agreed. What with it being the 50th anniversary of the 1st game one would think that history would be a little more up front and center. From what I've found when talking with most fans from other cities, they're generally clueless about Sox history aside from the Black Sox and Joe Jackson. A few know of the Go-Go Sox of the '50s or might remember Wilbur Wood and Dick Allen--but that's about it. Another missed chance for positive image by the clueless Sox PR staff.

Hangar18
08-07-2003, 11:00 AM
Maybe the can take DOWN those Humongous, Out of Place, Unsightly Billboards down and put the numbers up there. ANything would be better than that. Anything that Looks Like it belongs next to the Kennedy/Dan Ryan Expressway DOESNT BELONG IN A BALLPARK

PaleHoseGeorge
08-07-2003, 11:02 AM
Hopefully the new retired numbers are going up on the outfield wall as soon as all the all-star graphics are taken down. I don't miss for one minute those cheesy retired numbers that used to be stuck to the upper deck facade. They were hard to read, partially obstructed to everyone except the bleacherites (who were sitting too far away to read them anyway), and simply butt-ugly to look at.

The outfield wall is a much more visible location and a more honorable place to display the names and numbers of great players. I would love if the Sox put up plaques and/or statues to each Sox great along the concourse, too. Ah, dreams...

Dadawg_77
08-07-2003, 11:02 AM
Originally posted by Hangar18
Maybe the can take DOWN those Humongous, Out of Place, Unsightly Billboards down and put the numbers up there. ANything would be better than that. Anything that Looks Like it belongs next to the Kennedy/Dan Ryan Expressway DOESNT BELONG IN A BALLPARK

Billboards have always been apart of baseball, hell the Green Monster used to be one huge ad.

Hangar18
08-07-2003, 11:48 AM
Originally posted by Dadawg_77
Billboards have always been apart of baseball, hell the Green Monster used to be one huge ad.

Yes...but the Sox have got to have the Largest, Dan Ryan-esque billboards in MLB. They couldve been MORE SUBTLE about it.
Like in PacBell.......They have a giant Green COKE bottle beyond
the park. Im saying the SOX Should/Need to be more
C-R-E-A-T-I-V-E with the advertising. And NOT put up those ribbon boards for "fan visual excitement" and use them for steady stream Infomercials. I ignore those things now ...........

MarqSox
08-07-2003, 12:31 PM

Would you also be in favor of a 15% ticket price increase? Because that would be the result. I don't mind the billboards personally. They don't affect my enjoyment of the game, and that's all I care about.

HITMEN OF 77
08-07-2003, 12:36 PM
I take it the pinwheels are just liker the one's on the scoreboard? They will be for sale at Soxfest as well, I'll have to get one of those!

MarqSox
08-07-2003, 12:54 PM
Originally posted by HITMEN OF 77
I take it the pinwheels are just liker the one's on the scoreboard? They will be for sale at Soxfest as well, I'll have to get one of those!

Well, they're painted on, they're not actual pinwheels.

Hangar18
08-07-2003, 01:03 PM

I believe they are ACTUAL METALLIC pinwheels. A foulball
went up there recently, and CLANGED off one of the pinwheels.
Made me think it was going to come loose and Twirl down to the
lower level somewhere.....

Hangar18
08-07-2003, 01:08 PM
Would you also be in favor of a 15% ticket price increase? Because that would be the result. I don't mind the billboards personally. They don't affect my enjoyment of the game, and that's all I care about.

THey should open Another bar in the LF concourse area (like the advertisements they sent out last year, indicating a Pseudo Old-Chicago type skyline out there) and use that 15% they would want to INCREASE The tix by, and get the profits from a YEAR ROUND bar/restaurant out there. Would be better to see a little working building out there with a HOOTERS sign on it, then a giant CHEVY BLAZER ad out there instead. Like i said...it looks like it should be on the DanRyan Expy, not inside a ballbark. Does anyone See a Giant DODGE RAM PICKUP Billboard in KC's Left field ? No.... they creatively...put an actual PICKUP TRUCK on display out there. having bland humongous billboards out there is just Laziness to me. they couldve been creative with the ad

fledgedrallycap
08-07-2003, 02:05 PM
Speaking of addition/renovations...Has anyone heard any solid rumors as to what the White Sox have planned next in terms of Comiksey enhancements. Obviously the hottest topic is the upper-deck, but thank God I am not an architect b/c I have no idea what you could do.

SaltyPretzel
08-07-2003, 02:16 PM
I spoke to someone from the Illinois Sports Facilities during the home run hitting contest and he said that removing the top 8 rows of the upper deck was a sure thing. They will put in a new decorative wrought iron roof to replace the old one. They were still unsure about the home run porch in right and there were no plans to replace the blue seats.

PaleHoseGeorge
08-07-2003, 02:21 PM

Oh, great. That's all we need... one of those metallic pinwheels to break loose and decapitate some unsuspecting fan in the lower bowl. :smile:

:moron
"The place is a death trap, I'm tellin' ya! A death trap!"

:ass
"There is NO WAY I would risk death on my family by planning an outing to U.S. Cellular!"

fledgedrallycap
08-07-2003, 02:34 PM
I spoke to someone from the Illinois Sports Facilities during the home run hitting contest and he said that removing the top 8 rows of the upper deck was a sure thing. They will put in a new decorative wrought iron roof to replace the old one. They were still unsure about the home run porch in right and there were no plans to replace the blue seats.

That's an aweful lot of seats to clear out just to "decorate" They would most definitely have to add some kind of homer porch to compensate for the few thousand seats cleared from the top.

Max Power
08-07-2003, 04:17 PM

I wonder what that would take the capacity down to? 40,000? I'm sure I'm way off. I don't see a problem with decreasing capacity if the seats that are going to be eliminated are only being filled 6 or 7 times a season.

MarqSox
08-07-2003, 05:21 PM

Well, if they're real, they did a REAL good job of making them look 2-dimensional.

doublem23
08-08-2003, 02:19 AM
Well, if they're real, they did a REAL good job of making them look 2-dimensional.

Maybe they're imbedded in the cement.

I'm pretty sure they're, at most, big honkin' stickers.

nut_stock
08-08-2003, 06:43 AM
another option would be to put the numbers on a 2-d baseball and attach to the light towers.

steff
08-08-2003, 07:45 AM

No they're not, and yes they are.