PDA

View Full Version : Ligue Judge Clueless

SaltyPretzel
08-07-2003, 08:24 AM
He basically puts the blame on baseball.Link (http://www.suntimes.com/output/news/cst-nws-ligue07.html)

"Who has not seen a batter leave home plate headed for the pitcher's mound bat in hand bent on mischief and mayhem?"

I've been watching games for 24 years and I've yet to see it happen.

Brian26
08-07-2003, 10:10 AM
An absolute travesty of justice. The real loser here is Gamboa, who was kind enough to forgive Ligue and not pursue civil charges, and yet still lives with this everyday of his life. He says he still feels stuffiness in his ear and it's really affected on plane rides. I'm not an expert on the judicial system, but I'm guessing there can't be an appeal in this situation. Can Gamboa bring a civil suit up at this point, or would that be ex post facto?

mandmandm
08-07-2003, 10:16 AM
Originally posted by Brian26
Can Gamboa bring a civil suit up at this point, or would that be ex post facto?

Looking at Ligue I am guessing that his only possessions of value are his tattoos.

Brian26
08-07-2003, 10:20 AM
Originally posted by mandmandm
Looking at Ligue I am guessing that his only possessions of value are his tattoos.

And his wife's box of Newport's and diet Pepsi. That's a good look coming out of the courtroom.

harwar
08-07-2003, 10:24 AM
If the courts just let this ******* go free then maybe we should find out where this guys hangs out and take care of this ourselves.

mandmandm
08-07-2003, 10:30 AM
Originally posted by harwar
If the courts just let this ******* go free then maybe we should find out where this guys hangs out and take care of this ourselves.

That would make us as big as goons as he. When voting I normally have no clue what judges to reject on the ballot. If you live in Illinois keep the judges name in the back of your head and make a stand in the next election. John Kass's article today had a couple more exterme examples of poor rulings by this judge. The judge must be removed.

It does not put Ligue behind bars, but I think he will pay for his actions for the rest of his life.

Brian26
08-07-2003, 10:31 AM
Does anyone on the Royals board have Ligue's cell phone number too?

Bucktown
08-07-2003, 10:32 AM
We have got to make our voices heard and ensure that this judge, Leo Holt, is removed from the bench. I am going to do some research and find out how thie person is appointed/elected and how they can be removed.

This guy seems like a terrible judge. Did anyone see these quotes:

Ligue thanked Holt for sticking his neck out and "being compassionate in my case."

"I don't think there's another judge in the courthouse that would have given me probation,'' he said. "I want to thank the public for being behind me for this stressful time in my life. Now I'm just going to move on.''

Prosecutors asked Holt to order the father barred from Major League Baseball parks during his probation but Holt refused.

Anyone with me?

mandmandm
08-07-2003, 10:40 AM
It gets worse.

For subscribers

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/columnists/chi-0308070141aug07,1,5291040.column?coll=chi-homepagenews2-utl

Dadawg_77
08-07-2003, 10:42 AM
The Judge has a history of this. Look at John Kass' article in teh Trib today. He talks about several other cases this judge has handled.

See above, beat me by two minutes

SaltyPretzel
08-07-2003, 11:28 AM
Anyone with me? [/B]

Count me in!

mandmandm
08-07-2003, 11:40 AM
Ok, I do not mean to make light of this event but after doing a search I came up with this, lots of legal mumble jumble but because of WSI I always giggle when I see the T word:

According to Cook County Circuit Judge Leo E. Holt, a criminal judge since 1987, “You’re never going to address this problem by trying to tinker with the peremptory challenges . Any lawyer worth his salt can articulate race-neutral reasons for what he is doing.” He said the only sure way to root out discrimination in jury selection is to abolish the peremptory challenge. But many legal scholars believe that is unlikely.

doogiec
08-07-2003, 01:04 PM
The only time I have seen a batter attack a pitcher from behind with no warning was when Al Cowens attacked Ed Farmer in the earlier eighties (maybe late seventies?). And charges were filed against Cowens in that situation also.

With that exception, batter vs pitcher altercations have always been fair fights, not two drunks attacking an older man from behind with no provocation.

I'll bet if two drunks attacked this guys wife or family in a similar unprovoked manner he'd rule differently on this case.

This judge is a disgrace. If a similar or worse incident occurs in the future the blame will be on him.

WhiteSoxWinner
08-07-2003, 01:21 PM
I was thinking of this in terms of hockey, and an emailer wrote into Mike & Mike on ESPN radio this morning with the same point.

If Baseball is to blame for a fan's violent behavior because of batters charging the mound, or pitchers throwing high and inside, why don't we see a whole lot more violence at hockey games? You can drink just as much at a hockey game, and the game is way more violent with the checks, slashes, fights, and other activities that go on. Why don't we see more fans climbing the glass and whacking the visiting trainer that stands behind the bench?

That's because most fans who attend a game are somewhat civilized citizens. Ligue is a criminal who performed a criminal act OF HIS VOLITION and deserves to punished as such. There should not be any excusing his actions by blaming it on the violence in the game. Otherwise, everyone should be able to act like an animal and get probation because they saw it somewhere else (a game, TV, movie, video game, etc.)

pudge
08-07-2003, 02:14 PM
Originally posted by Brian26
An absolute travesty of justice. The real loser here is Gamboa, who was kind enough to forgive Ligue and not pursue civil charges, and yet still lives with this everyday of his life. He says he still feels stuffiness in his ear and it's really affected on plane rides. I'm not an expert on the judicial system, but I'm guessing there can't be an appeal in this situation. Can Gamboa bring a civil suit up at this point, or would that be ex post facto?

Ex post facto prevents people from being charged on new laws for old crimes. What you're referring to is statute of limitations. I don't know what the time limit is for a crime like this, it's usually around a year or so, so I'd imagine he still could file.

By the way, my personal opinion is that this decision is laughable. This judge is an idiot.