PDA

View Full Version : AL Central doesn't exist

gosox41
08-07-2003, 12:07 AM
At least according to BBTN. I flipped it on around 11:40 tongiht and they had a graphic up titled AL division races. They showed the AL East and AL West race, but no AL Central.

Looks like the Sox get dissed again.

Bob

Thunderstruck30
08-07-2003, 12:10 AM
Ive noticed this to and I dont understand why they dont mention the Central. The Sox are one game out, how is that not a race?

doublem23
08-07-2003, 12:12 AM
A Yankees-Red Sox race and a Mariners-Athletics race is far more sexy than a Royals-White Sox. I don't know how much of a blatant diss it is than the other 2 races are clearly better than ours.

WhiteSox = Life
08-07-2003, 12:40 AM
Originally posted by doublem23
A Yankees-Red Sox race and a Mariners-Athletics race is far more sexy than a Royals-White Sox. I don't know how much of a blatant diss it is than the other 2 races are clearly better than ours.

Obviously, star power sells and those four teams have it in abundance.

I think it's just as intriguing to watch the AL Central, with the three teams only separated by 3 games, as it is to watch the AL West and/or AL East. Sure the other two divisions may be of a higher talent, but nothing makes a race interesting as competition and so far, all three divisions have a good race going. If you give the nod to the West or the East, it's simply because of star power and games won. I just don't think the records matter as much as it's the race for the top record in each division that does.

Of course, there may be a partial bias from this poster... I also think the AL Central race is the most interesting, but you might want to chalk that up as a partial bias, too.

:smile:

gosox41
08-07-2003, 12:41 AM
Originally posted by doublem23

But the bottom line is the Sox are in a pennant race, and a closer one then the other two. If you're going to list a graphic that says "AL Pennant Races" then list all the AL Pennant Races. It's probably not that difficult for them to do.

Bob

WhiteSox = Life
08-07-2003, 12:48 AM
Originally posted by gosox41
But the bottom line is the Sox are in a pennant race, and a closer one then the other two. If you're going to list a graphic that says "AL Pennant Races" then list all the AL Pennant Races. It's probably not that difficult for them to do.

Bob

:boston
"But, with only two races up there, and four teams, the Red Sox are in a larger size. I think dismissing the AL Central to give the Red Sox larger space on the screen is an even trade, don't you?"

soxtalker
08-07-2003, 07:22 AM
Well, there is probably a lot of east and west coast bias in play. However, KC is 5-1/2 games back of the A's, the team with the worst record in the two "pennant races". I suspect that this is the biggest factor; people on the east and west coasts simply tend to think that whoever comes out of the Central won't be competitive in the playoffs.

This isn't great if one (as a Sox fan) is traveling / living in another city or relying upon national shows like ESPN's to get the sports news. However, I'd prefer to have the teams ignore us. Hopefully, the Sox improve themselves against the tough east and west coast teams over the next two months, and we can surprise them all in post season.

Brian26
08-07-2003, 09:07 AM
Chill out, guys. I saw the graphic too and mometarily got upset. Then I realized what they were talking about:

Basically, there's a 4-team race for 3 playoff spots. The Yankees and Redsox in the east, the A's and M's in the west. The wild card will undoubtedly be one of the two losing teams there. I don't think anyone's going to argue that the Sox or Twins are in the wild card hunt.

They have covered the Central, but not as much as the other two divisions. Again, I think they're focusing more on that 4-team for 3-spots idea that anything else. I wouldn't take it as a slap towards our division though.

Lip Man 1
08-07-2003, 11:53 AM
Sorry to disappoint you all but I've SEEN the graphic for the central and on more then one occasion.

Lip

FJA
08-07-2003, 12:24 PM
Originally posted by Brian26
Chill out, guys. I saw the graphic too and mometarily got upset. Then I realized what they were talking about:

Basically, there's a 4-team race for 3 playoff spots. The Yankees and Redsox in the east, the A's and M's in the west. The wild card will undoubtedly be one of the two losing teams there. I don't think anyone's going to argue that the Sox or Twins are in the wild card hunt.

They have covered the Central, but not as much as the other two divisions. Again, I think they're focusing more on that 4-team for 3-spots idea that anything else. I wouldn't take it as a slap towards our division though.

I'm not sure if this is the same thing I saw, but Kurkjian was talking about how between the Yanks, BoSox, A's and M's, one very good team is going to miss the playoffs, and "that is going to be a shame."

It bothered me at first, because it seemed a slight to the AL Central, but objectively speaking, we are in the weakest division. Kurkjian makes a valid point--indeed, one very good team is going to miss the playoffs. I think the White Sox could do a lot in the postseason, but we haven't maintained all season, so we only have ourselves to blame if analysts are wary of putting us in a league with the BoSox, Yanks, A's and M's. If the Twins make the playoffs, they could be very dangerous, but that depends on which Twins show up ... that team has not an ounce of consistency. (You could say that about the Sox, but at least we've had significant streaks, and generally speaking, we've been playing good ball since mid-June.)

As for the Royals, I've been saying it all summer: They will not do anything in the playoffs if they make it there. Everyone talks about how dangerous they are, and they certainly deserve respect, but look at their record against teams .500 and above vs. their record against teams below .500. It is night and day ... they are great at beating up teams they should be beating up, not so great winning games against good teams (I think their record is 30-41). They're feisty, so they leave a lasting impression, but they also have a habit of just missing the mark and still having people say, "They don't know the meaning of 'quit.'" That's honorable, but "honorable" alone won't win the pennant. They give up as many runs as they score ... any talented team that takes the Royals seriously can and will beat them.

So, I can understand a slight of the AL Central for now. It's an interesting race, but from an outsider's perspective, it's an interesting race between teams that aren't as good as teams from the other divisions. I'd much rather the Sox sneak up on teams than have a big target on their back.

CHISOXFAN13
08-07-2003, 04:32 PM
The Royals/White Sox have been one of the biggest stories on ESPN this whole week.

Next time tune in when the show starts

gosox41
08-07-2003, 04:36 PM
Originally posted by CHISOXFAN13
The Royals/White Sox have been one of the biggest stories on ESPN this whole week.

Next time tune in when the show starts

If I were home at the time I would. But thanks for the advice.

Bob